Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should the Brewers be allowed to void out Brauns contract?

Thoughts?

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Would they even want to?

Honestly.

Braun is still a bad *** ball player. And while this is clearly awful for the organization as a whole. He is still worth more than 10 million for the 2014 season.

They should be allowed to void out his extension though

But, in terms of moving forward. I do think teams should be allowed to void any contract if there is a positive test. Even though the tricky part is that the teams benefit from these users for on the field play.

vCash
    I wonder how much the PEDs impacted Braun's play and how great he was?

He's passed his prime now and will be 30 in November. Not to say he will drop off the planet but he wasn't hitting this year like he had the last 2 years before going on the DL and with now being suspended.

I am sure he will want to prove himself next year but it should be interesting what his final statline is in 2014.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-23-2013 at 05:34 AM.

vCash
    You should get the option to do so for a certain amount of time after a failed test. When you pay a guy and give him a contract based on his past performance and numbers, you do so usually with the assumption he did them clean. That is what you base the deal on, and what you base your expectations of his future performance on.

If you were duped into paying a guy a certain amount based on fraudulent numbers, then I don't think teams should be obligated to honor their contract to the guy either.

Plus, if you make it so contracts can get ripped up then maybe these dummies will stop doping. As it stands now, the financial benefits to using PEDs are still so high that it's worth it to a lot of guys. Eliminate that incentive and you eliminate a huge reason they do it in the first place.

In Brauns case, they still probably wouldn't void his deal because he's so productive. But they should at least have the choice.
    Last edited by rcs15; 07-23-2013 at 04:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    You should get the option to do so for a certain amount of time after a failed test. When you pay a guy and give him a contract based on his past performance and numbers, you do so usually with the assumption he did them clean. That is what you base the deal on, and what you base your expectations of his future performance on.

If you were duped into paying a guy a certain amount based on fraudulent numbers, then I don't think teams should be obligated to honor their contract to the guy either.

Plus, if you make it so contracts can get ripped up then maybe these dummies will stop doping. As it stands now, the financial benefits to using PEDs are still so high that it's worth it to a lot of guys. Eliminate that incentive and you eliminate a huge reason they do it in the first place.

In Brauns case, they still probably wouldn't void his deal because he's so productive. But they should at least have the choice.
    Bingo.

vCash
    Absolutely. Maybe the risk of losing a huge contract may help deter the cheats.

Of course I doubt Milwaukee would void it, but the option should be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Absolutely. Maybe the risk of losing a huge contract may help deter the cheats.

Of course I doubt Milwaukee would void it, but the option should be there.
    Yep but i don't understand teams that don't put those type of clauses in player's contracts to begin with. I don't know if the CBA allows for that type of stipulation but it should and hopefully in the next couple of offseasons they come back and discuss that issue.

I still suggest stronger penalties would work as well.

There is just too much financial incentive in using PEDs for guys not to take the risk. A 50 game suspension is a pittance compared the rewards a player perceives steroids can bring them.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-23-2013 at 07:05 AM.

vCash
    I hope they do, the Mets could use a corner outfielder.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    100% both him and Arod should lose their 9 figure deals. Dont deserve them. Braun will never put up 2011 numbers again now that he cant have 4 times the normal amount of testosterone in his body.

vCash
    I think teams should have the option, but that's going to have to be collectively bargained. It's going to be interesting to see what happens at the next CBA, because there are so many players that are on the right side of this issue now. They don't want to support dirty players anymore, because they're taking jobs from guys that are doing it clean.

My guess is that eventually it will be a 2 strikes and you're out of baseball policy...with the option of voiding contracts and kicking players out of the union. It's just going to get tougher and tougher to cheat, which is a good thing.

vCash
    Teams aren't going to exercise that option unless the player's contract is an albatross (A-Rod). So it wouldn't really dole out equal justice to all offenders.

vCash
    Would the Brewers want to trade him, and what would they want in return?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I don't agree with the idea of teams being able to void contracts. Donate it to a charity sure, but you need to be held responsible for the players you sign. Don't sign a douche who's apt to cheat. I realize some players might screw over teams, but teams also benefit the time they are on the field. Taking a PED users contract off the books is helping a team on top of helping a team. It makes no sense.

vCash
    it should be stanrdard in the MLB that anyone suspended for steirods can have their contracts voided by the team in my opinion
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Yes, they should be able to. Them actually doing it is another story since I don't see that happening, he's been an elite hitter his entire time in the big leagues. Even in a year he's been injured he's still putting up a .298/.372/.498 slash line with a .369 wOBA and 135 wRC+.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast