Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Looking down the road

I know there's going to be the obligatory "Don't get ahead of ourselves... just wait for the season to start", but we've rehashed countless times already that this team should be a squad that makes the playoffs next season. I thought it would be interesting to discuss some potential plans if that does not happen.

Now that we have our roster essentially in place for the season (I'm assuming Pek will sign eventually), what is going to happen if we severely under perform yet again? In this hypothetical, the injury bug bites somewhat.. but more or less the team just does not gel in the way we are expecting it to. The West is insanely strong, and if we don't play to the top of our potential we have a great chance of being on the outside looking in come playoffs.

If we fail to make the playoffs, do we blow things up? If so, what kind of value do you think we could get for KLove? We just resigned Pek to a major extension.. so how effective can our blow up even be, really? Could we move him as well?

This is my first thread, so I wasn't sure if it was worthy or not. Feel free to delete if it is weak.

vCash
    I would keep Rubio, Love, and Pek and look for players to build around them. This is the best team we have had after KG left and look how the whole rebuilding process worked so well for us. Not. I don't want to go though years of that again.

And if we do get rid of our good players we need top dollar and top picks. None of that cheap stuff. AK to Nets pffff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timber2 View Post
    I would keep Rubio, Love, and Pek and look for players to build around them. This is the best team we have had after KG left and look how the whole rebuilding process worked so well for us. Not. I don't want to go though years of that again.

And if we do get rid of our good players we need top dollar and top picks. None of that cheap stuff. AK to Nets pffff
    I agree that rebuilding sucked under previous leadership.. but we really, really blew our opportunity at a championship contender. It's been mentioned countless times, but for this context I think it's important to note again that our current core right now, with intelligent drafting and player management, could have been:

Rubio/Lawson/Steph Curry/George/KLove/Pek

My opinion is that, if we do not contend for the playoffs this year.. then it's clear we are not going to retain Love once his option rolls around. We have pretty much zero cap wiggle room after Pek re signs.. and limited assets to move for upgrades at a given position. D Will would have to pan out in order to get anything worthwhile back, or to keep him as a piece moving forward.. Shved could become a moveable asset. Shabazz is at least a year from being anything of substance.

Re-launching rebuild mode would mean losing Adelman, moving Love for several young prospects + draft picks galore... and who knows what else we would move out in order to effectively tank and get back into the lottery. Hope that Flip or whoever else is at the helm is much better at drafting.

Alternatively, we could "re-boot" the current roster. Ship out Love for an established player(s).. generate some more cap space during the season and try the FA/Draft thing again. But that seems less likely to me, because we would not get anything in return that would surpass Love's current impact on this team.. and that's what we would need to take the leap we're looking for IMO.

I'm just kinda at a loss for what else we could do but blow it up and try to rebuild again if this season goes down hill.

vCash
    If We Don't Make The Playoffs Yet Again, That is When We Consider Trading Love, Or lose Him For Nothing. Go Into Complete Rebuild Mode, With Rubio And A Lottery Pick Next Year As OuR Main Pieces.

vCash
    If we miss again, you have to start looking at moving Love, or at least start checking what you can get for him. Now, if Love goes beast, and Rubio doesn't grow for example, or we get bit by injuries again, we would go for another tweak job. But if all our roster is relatively healthy, and we go out and win 30-35 games, we should entertain offers for Love.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Any chances we move Rubio? I doubt it since he is selling tickets.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    No Way. One Reason You Said Already Is Tickets, The Other Being That He Will Be A Restricte FA When His Contract Is Up, So, We Aren't Really Risking Losing Him For Nothing

vCash
    Rubio for Curry. I agree, we should of had Curry instead of Flynn. Timberwolves can't make a pick if it was standing in front of them. We should trade our picks for stars. At least we wouldn't have sucked so bad.

vCash
    I don't even want to think about it. Not just Love leaves, Rubio would leave as well. He's competitive and couldn't handle being on a rebuilding team for years. Plus, he probably wants to play in a big market, to get money. He's as marketable as they come, he would get rich in LA or New York.

We really need to start winning LOL

Wolves United

vCash
    I always feel that we are a defense base team. Our draft picks...just keep going toward defense players or players who can't help at all. This year seems pretty much the same even thought we have a new GM in Flip. Why do we only draft guys who we hope can be a talent years later instead of guys that have talent shown already? I believe this year we need to draft a talent player as we plan for a playoff spot, but we draft bazz and he hasn't shown that he can be something beside having a lucky game. I remember Love say of drafting a light out shooter so if this year we don't reach playoff, Love might be heading out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    nope. Not right now. He makes minimal money, so he won't get back what he will most likely be worth.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    If it does come down to a rebuilding situation, I'd think we move out Love first and then work on a sign and trade for Rubio since he'll be restricted when the time comes so that we get full value in return for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aTinyPanda View Post
    If it does come down to a rebuilding situation, I'd think we move out Love first and then work on a sign and trade for Rubio since he'll be restricted when the time comes so that we get full value in return for him.
    You Never Get Full Value In A S And T

vCash
    Unless Rubio demanded a trade, the FO would keep him here forever.

Small market teams need people like Ricky, he's good for growing the fan base, advertising, getting butts in the seats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellington19 View Post
    Unless Rubio demanded a trade, the FO would keep him here forever.

Small market teams need people like Ricky, he's good for growing the fan base, advertising, getting butts in the seats.
    You've got a point there. I mean speaking about people abroad, they know the Wolves because of KG and Rubio.

United we Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast