Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Real NFL score almost affected by fantasy stats?

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/nfl/real-...-fantasy-stats

Thought you were nuts about fantasy football? Well, at least you weren't as crazy as Maurice Jones-Drew's former Jaguars teammate, whom he claims (jokingly?) nearly sabotaged a Jacksonville touchdown.

NFL players — they’re just like us! They walk their dogs! They take out the garbage! And yes, they even play fantasy football.

And, like many of us tend to do, some NFL players take their weekly matchups so seriously that the rivalries carry over from the locker room onto the field.

In an interview with Mad Dog Radio SiriusXM 86 hosts Evan Cohen and Steve Phillips, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew shared how one former teammate almost intentionally missed a block to win against MJD in fantasy football.

Greg Jones, the teammate in question, currently plays for the Houston Texans — giving MJD an opportunity to publicly out the fullback.

“I was playing against him [in fantasy],” Jones-Drew said, “And we have our equipment guys keep us up on [the fantasy scores] during games…I think if I scored, I was going to [beat Jones]. We got on the one-yard line, and they were like, ‘We better call this run play.’”

What happened next threw MJD for a loop.

“[Jones] looked at me, and he winked. And I was like, ‘Greg. It’s not time to play. This is bigger than [winning in fantasy]. Let’s not do this.’”

When asked about the nature of the mysterious wink, MJD replied, “[Jones] wasn’t going to block the guy!”

According to Larry Brown Sports, NFL players have missed blocks on purpose in the past — but never to control the outcome of a fantasy game. It’s a good thing this friendly rivalry managed to stay under control during game time.

Jones-Drew took his thoughts to Twitter and said that his comments shouldn’t be taken too seriously.
    ================================================== =========

even if he backs away from his comments about fudging the numbers of a game, the fact that they have their "equipment guys keep us up on the scores during games" to me that says it all.

I mean instead of worrying about executing your offense or reading pictures of the defensive formations or how to counter the opposing team your worried about your fantasy team -- during your game?

how un-professional. I'm sick of these guys calling it a "business trip", apparently they don't care that much.

Prediction: just like the Colin Kaepernick Dolphins hat thing, there will be a generational divide with many on here saying ''no big deal''.

I mean many of these guys are making literally hundreds of thousands of dollars per week over 52 weeks per year but I guess you can't expect them to concentrate fully on the game for a whopping 3 hours.

god , I hate the modern athlete sometimes.

vCash
    meh its the jags...not like they had a true shot

vCash
    Trip to the commish office. Any hint of gambling and a funny story gets real serious.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    I see this as a positive. MJD probably has himself on his team, so he is looking to score as many points as possible, for himself from a fantasy standpoint, and for his team in a reality standpoint. Players don't make the play calls, the OC does, I doubt this has any outcome in how the game plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownBears22 View Post
    I see this as a positive. MJD probably has himself on his team, so he is looking to score as many points as possible, for himself from a fantasy standpoint, and for his team in a reality standpoint. Players don't make the play calls, the OC does, I doubt this has any outcome in how the game plays out.
    first: did you actually read the article?

second: so gambling is o-tay as long as you bet on your own team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Talk View Post
    first: did you actually read the article?

second: so gambling is o-tay as long as you bet on your own team?
    I read the text posted.....where is the gambling exactly?

vCash
    It doesn't really surprise me. Fantasy football has taken over the sport in some ways. It worries me that refs take fantasy football to seriously and can affect the games. It shouldn't matter what team a player is playing on, their focus should be on winning the game not what their fantasy score is.
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    ugh..

vCash
    Just another reason why fantasy football sux. It brings so many casual fans that don't give a **** about actual football. I honestly believe its ruining the game. Again you have these casual fans that only care about high scoring games and getting extra points because Manning threw for 300 yards instead of 299. I argue all the time with my friends about it. They think if a player up fantasy points that makes them a good player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    Just another reason why fantasy football sux. It brings so many casual fans that don't give a **** about actual football. I honestly believe its ruining the game. Again you have these casual fans that only care about high scoring games and getting extra points because Manning threw for 300 yards instead of 299. I argue all the time with my friends about it. They think if a player up fantasy points that makes them a good player.
    Post of the year

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    So enjoying a high-scoring game is now for "casuals"? I personally prefer medium scoring + good defense, but I enjoy the high-scoring close games as well. And I agree that fantasy points =/= great player, but often great players put up great fantasy points. I don't particularly care about FF, but it's hardly ruining anything. 99% of NFL players aren't concerned about winning a fake game with no prize, they want to win games.

vCash

Real NFL score almost affected by fantasy stats?

It's weird they're allowed to play. I know guys at D2 schools on soccer teams who were told they weren't allowed to even play fantasy sports
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNev View Post
    It's weird they're allowed to play. I know guys at D2 schools on soccer teams who were told they weren't allowed to even play fantasy sports
    How can they be stopped? They're grown men and can make their own decisions. I have no problems with players playing in fantasy leagues but winning the real games should be top priority.
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    fantasy football > real football
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    fantasy football > real football
    I'll let this blasphemy slide only because you're PSDs Rod Serling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast