Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Rumor: Medlen to the pen, Alex Wood to the rotation

http://news.rotowire.com/Alex-Wood-g...5270-spmlb.htm

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. Alex proved himself as ready enough to relieve in the bigs, but can he start ? The 2nd and 3rd times through a lineup in the majors is far different than in AA. Medlen hasn't been terrible and I think this would be a bad move for him mentally. He's already previously mentioned that he much prefers starting over the bullpen and has been through a similar move TWICE in his short career.

Not to mention, what would the move mean for Beachy's role after he returns ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. Alex proved himself as ready enough to relieve in the bigs, but can he start ? The 2nd and 3rd times through a lineup in the majors is far different than in AA. Medlen hasn't been terrible and I think this would be a bad move for him mentally. He's already previously mentioned that he much prefers starting over the bullpen and has been through a similar move TWICE in his short career.

Yea I don't see this happening because of Beachy returning, but Medlen getting bumped to the 5th starter role is kinda telling he's heading back to the BP. Maybe the Braves are close to a trade for a left reliever?

vCash

Looks like there is truth to this after all. Bowman is reporting it also. He also says they are looking at James Russell, Mike Gonzalez and Wesley Wright as trade options. Maybe Maholm gets traded to make room for Beachy, still leaving two lefties in the rotation. Would love to have 3 power arms in the rotation (Teheran, Beachy, Wood)

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/

vCash

Well Medlen go from a ace to mediocre very fast, he was all year one good star and then 2 o 3 bad star.

vCash
    Wood is getting stretched out for a reason but I just figured he would take Maholm's spot as our lefty starter.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    we've had pen issues, why the hell would we jeopardize them by not putting wood in there. don't fix what ain't broke, and our rotation ain't broke. this move doesn't make us better, unless wren thinks wood+beachy in a 6-man rotation is better than medlen in a 5? i dunno, i call bs.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    we've had pen issues, why the hell would we jeopardize them by not putting wood in there. don't fix what ain't broke, and our rotation ain't broke. this move doesn't make us better, unless wren thinks wood+beachy in a 6-man rotation is better than medlen in a 5? i dunno, i call bs.
    I think what it is is Wood has been better than advertised.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    trade medlen before moving him to the pen again. don't do this to him again.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    I agree, he is a very good trade asset also.

vCash
    It's stupid to even think this right now for two reason-
    1. Alex Wood will not be a starting pitcher for the Braves (this year). If he returns, it will be as a reliever. He will have to build up is arm to be able to go longer in a game before he is a started. So, maybe next year he will be the Braves 4th or 5th starter.
    2. Beachy is in the same boat as Wood. I see him going to the bullpen and building his arm back up and Braves taking it easy on him until next year.
    The Braves has one of the top pitching in the league ranking why change it now?

vCash
    It would have to be an unbelievable trade for me to even consider getting rid of Meds.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    i'd take a trade over 'penning him. i like the kid too much for him to be under-utilized YET AGAIN. this is a rumor that hasn't happened yet, and with maholm's wrist issues, i highly doubt it will happen now.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

-Portman

vCash
    David O'Brien

#Braves DL Maholm, will start Alex Wood on Thursday. Maholm only wrist contusion, not fracture.

vCash
    Figured Maholm would be sent to the DL. Rotation will be settled after he comes out of it...may have made his last start.

Can't wait to see Wood though...making his second career start..oddly enough against the same team.

vCash
    it's moot now, but even if Meds went to the pen this year, he'd most likely be back in the rotation again next year. Got to do what's best for the team. The team is more important than making one player happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast