Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Rotation

vCash

Rotation

Hello Everyone,

Just curious on how people would arrange the rotations with this current squad.

How would you divide the minutes?

Which pairings/groupings do you like on the court together?

Which do you hope never to see?

Depth Chart for reference:

Lowry/Augustin/Buycks
    DeMar/Ross
    Gay/Novak/Fields
    Hansborough/Amir/Acy
    Valanciunas/Gray

vCash
    I'll start:

I personally would like to see the Raptor's stick with an 8 (maybe 9) man rotation from the get go to help create some consistency and familiarity on the court. The players I include in that rotation are: Lowry, Augustin, DeMar, Ross, Gay, Hansborough, Amir and Valanciuans. Novak and Fields compete for the 9th spot (limited role).

I personally am intrigued by the idea of a starting rotation that includes Ross instead of DeMar:

Why? I'm totally aware that the lineup of DeMar, Lowry, Gay, Amir and Valanciunas had one of the top point differentials in the league last season. But (a) that doesn't mean they can sustain that pace; (b) if they do, I'd prefer to see that grouping at the end of games. Our bench still looks very weak to me and I am much more confident with DeRozan being a solution to that problem than I am with Ross. With Lowry, Gay and Valanciunas all demanding shots in the starting rotation, I like the idea of getting DeRozan his looks off the bench. This doesn't mean Ross gets more minutes than DeRozan, just that I like his involvement at the start of the game playing in between Lowry and Gay in the backcourt. He will get open looks in this setting, and it will be a great opportunity to assess what he can bring to this team long-term.

I look for this starting unit to create the defensive identity from the first quarter: Lowry, Ross, Gay, Amir, Valanciunas. My first subs then become Augustin, DeMar, and Hansborough.

Lowry (32)/Augustin (16)
    Ross (24)/DeMar (24)
    Gay (36)/DeMar (8)/Novak or Fields (4)
    Amir (20)/Hansborough (24)/ Novak or Fields (4)
    Valanciunas (32)/ Amir (16)

Total Minute Breakdown:
    Rudy (36)
    Amir (36)
    DeMar (32)
    Valanciunas (32)
    Lowry (32)
    Hansborough (24)
    Ross (24)
    Augustin (16)
    Novak or Fields (8)

vCash
    i don't mind this roster but i don't like the idea of Gray being our backup center i think we need a upgrade there

vCash
    I think Fields will get more playing time than Ross. Looking at him in summer league action, he still isn't ready to log serious PT in the NBA. If I am going to replace Demar with anyone, it would be Fields and his ability to play off the ball, rebound and defend. I think he will show a better shooting stroke with his fixed elbow and an off season to get comfortable again.

I actually like the idea of using Demar like SA used Ginobli to stablize the scoring over 48 minutes. Demar's best talent is putting the ball in the basket, and I think he could really excel in a 6th man type of role.

I also think Novak deserves more than 8 mpg. Dude is a legit outside threat, and with the increasing value of 3pt shooting, I think he needs to be out there a bit more to help spread the floor.

To begin the season, I would like to see the following in close games:

Lowry (35)/Augustine (13)
    Fields (13)/Derozan (35)
    Gay (35)/Fields (10)/ Novak (3)
    Amir (14)/Hansbrough (13)/Novak (11)
    JV (32)/Amir (16)

If Fields struggles or we have an injury to Demar or Gay you could use Ross in something else other then garbage time. The only thing I would do in pre-season is let Quincy battle Tyler for those 13 mpg at PF. They both bring the same things to the table, so whomever wins the job gets the minutes. If we fall out of playoff contention then we could use Ross instead of Fields to help bring him along, but not at the beginning of the season when we are testing our lineup to see what we have moving forward as a franchise.

vCash
    I think we gotta lean on our core this season.

C: Valanciunas(36)
    PF: Amir(32)
    SF: Rudy(36)
    SG: Demar(36)
    PG: Lowry(34)

Augustine(12)
    Ross(22)
    Hansbrough(18)
    Novak/Gray/Fields(14)*

*Depends on match-ups.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Tough to say..

I know Novak and fields will play a lot together on the 2nd unit..

I'd like for Amir to start, and for psycho t to be the first big off the bench.

I really think we need another back up c to add some depth at the 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    I think we gotta lean on our core this season.

C: Valanciunas(36)
    PF: Amir(32)
    SF: Rudy(36)
    SG: Demar(36)
    PG: Lowry(34)

Augustine(12)
    Ross(22)
    Hansbrough(18)
    Novak/Gray/Fields(14)*

*Depends on match-ups.
    I really think Novak and Fields will get more playing time then that..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I really think Novak and Fields will get more playing time then that..
    Yah same I'm just trying to think, maybe Val get's less minutes and we try and go small more often?
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Yah same I'm just trying to think, maybe Val get's less minutes and we try and go small more often?
    im thinking derozan and gay may play less together. while one is on the floor ross or novak will be the other wing... or we go smaller like you are saying. when dero & gay are both resting I can see a lot of ross, fields, & novak at the 2,3 & 4.

Jonas we will have to squeez because we basically have a 3 big rotation of jonas, amir, & tyler with gray gettin some garbage minutes. I hope we get another back up C we are really thin there imo. Amir will have to play a lot of 5 again this year other wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think Fields will get more playing time than Ross. Looking at him in summer league action, he still isn't ready to log serious PT in the NBA. If I am going to replace Demar with anyone, it would be Fields and his ability to play off the ball, rebound and defend. I think he will show a better shooting stroke with his fixed elbow and an off season to get comfortable again.

I actually like the idea of using Demar like SA used Ginobli to stablize the scoring over 48 minutes. Demar's best talent is putting the ball in the basket, and I think he could really excel in a 6th man type of role.

I also think Novak deserves more than 8 mpg. Dude is a legit outside threat, and with the increasing value of 3pt shooting, I think he needs to be out there a bit more to help spread the floor.

To begin the season, I would like to see the following in close games:

Lowry (35)/Augustine (13)
    Fields (13)/Derozan (35)
    Gay (35)/Fields (10)/ Novak (3)
    Amir (14)/Hansbrough (13)/Novak (11)
    JV (32)/Amir (16)

If Fields struggles or we have an injury to Demar or Gay you could use Ross in something else other then garbage time. The only thing I would do in pre-season is let Quincy battle Tyler for those 13 mpg at PF. They both bring the same things to the table, so whomever wins the job gets the minutes. If we fall out of playoff contention then we could use Ross instead of Fields to help bring him along, but not at the beginning of the season when we are testing our lineup to see what we have moving forward as a franchise.
    Two things:

1) I love the idea of putting Demar in the 6th man role. Especially since it is would be done for the appropriate reasons. Balancing the starting lineup and the bench. Otherwise we are rather lopsided. Still need another C though.

2) The value of the 3 pointer has not changed. It is still worth 3 points, has been since the day the league brought it in. The only thing that has changed is teams awareness of its value and therefor its overall use in the league has changed dramatically.

vCash
    Drew gooden just cleared waivers.....he can play some minutes at center. Hes not flashy but hes aa player i see signing here to shore up the big rotation. He has to sign for cheap while being servicable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax_da_workman View Post
    Drew gooden just cleared waivers.....he can play some minutes at center. Hes not flashy but hes aa player i see signing here to shore up the big rotation. He has to sign for cheap while being servicable.
    Good news on him clearing waivers. Adding him to our big men depth would be wise. I agree with you he would be a nice addition to our rotation. I am fine with Gray being 5th in our big man depth.

vCash
    Lowry(34)/DJ(14)
    DD(35)/Ross(13)
    Gay(29)/Fields(12)Novak(7)
    Amir(21)/PsychoT(19)/Gay(8)
    Val(35)/Amir(13)

vCash
    I don't Hans will be a starter, he is a good energy guy but he has no defense and is quite slow.