Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Baseball America: Wilmer Flores and Prospects Surging Into the Second Half

Baseball America notices that Wilmer Flores is hitting well for AAA Las Vegas and pegs him as one of the prospects “surging” into the second half:

Flores has cracked 16 extra-base hits (five HR, 10 2B, one 3B) in the past 26 games for Las Vegas. With an uncharacteristic 22-4 K-BB ratio in that time, he appears to be making a concerted effort to hit for power, and so far it’s been working. Only Albuquerque outfielder Nick Buss has more extra-base hits (17) in this sample. The 21-year-old Flores has played four of his past eight games at first base, suggesting he may be auditioning for a look at that position in New York this summer.

http://metsminorleagueblog.com/baseb...e-second-half/

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Package Murph in a deal for Giancarlo Stanton

vCash

Baseball America: Wilmer Flores and Prospects Surging Into the Second Half

I been thinking for a while that if Ike falters the Mets should and it looks like they will give Flores a shot at first and I am on board.

vCash
    Since the day he was signed this kid was supposed to have a special bat. And he has steadily proven that in the minors for this organization - getting better as he advances.

You have to find a spot for this kid.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I prefer packaging Murphy in the offseason with prospects for a controllable OF and shift Flores over to 2B and have a 1B combo of Satin/Ike/Duda.

But yeah, gotta find a spot for the guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsOfQueens View Post
    I prefer packaging Murphy in the offseason with prospects for a controllable OF and shift Flores over to 2B and have a 1B combo of Satin/Ike/Duda.

But yeah, gotta find a spot for the guy.
    Give Flores the shot at 2b now and for the rest of this year at the MLB level. Try to move Murphy now maybe in a package for a legitimate outfielder or shortstop. Let Satin / Duda / Davis win or lose the 1b job this year - that decision should not fester into 2014. If none of those 3 are up to claiming the 1b position long term, then move Flores there for 2014. Go out and get a bonafide 2bman. EY Jr is not EY Sr - he is not a 2bman. Leave EY Jr. in LF or keep him as a utility man next year.

vCash
    I have been an Ike Davis fan, but it seems more and more that his ship has sailed. Satin is a great story but not projected IMO as a long term solution at 1B. Flores without a position might just land at 1st. He also could be used in a trade for the OF we all want.

one legitamite power bat behind wright would instantly change this lineup.

vCash
    Hi everyone

I think Flores is more naturally suited at first base. He would be more of a defensive liability at second. Murphy has been adequate at second defensively and solid offensively. Ike has to go. What a waste - we won't get much for him. Satin should stay to back up Flores.

vCash
    Welcome to the forum.

Flores liability is his lack of range at 2nd.
    But he's 21, and he's not going to get any faster.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I don't mind him at first base. He may not hit 30 HR but this is a guy that could be an annual .300 hitter with 15-20 and 40 2B. Might be perfect for this stadium too. Especially this day and age where there are only a few guys with multiple tools and a lot of 30-40 HR hitters can't break .250. I don't think this guy's bat would be a liability at any position.

vCash
    I don't think his bat plays at 1B just yet. It might take a few years.

vCash
    We need John Olerud to fix Ike. I loved that guy. Wish he was our hitting coach.

vCash
    Cant wait to see this guy start developing at the major league level. He turns 22 in another few weeks.

All the little stats you look for in a minor league batter are there. The strikeouts are very low. He doesn't walk a lot but for his age and K-rate, the plate discipline is there. He could easily be a guy with more walks than Ks, the type with 70/70. The HRs aren't there yet but the doubles are.

At 6-3 listed at 190 too he has some room to hit the weights. 18 HR +/- 5 backed up by 30 2B and a .300/.350 slash I will take from any position and I think he has the ceiling to pass all of those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I don't think his bat plays at 1B just yet. It might take a few years.
    well if we want to talk short term MY bat will play at 1B with Ike flailing and Satin moving around the field

vCash
    1. I always believed that Flores would be able to play 2B until he grew to big. Flores signed at 160 and now weighs 190-195. He's 6'4 1/2" and can easily add another 30 lbs.

2. Eventually, he would shift to 1B. Even without the weight. he's learning to drive the ball. Fans are too concerned about minor league #s and not where they are on the growing curve. Some will hit only the number they hit in the minors, others will improve. Miguel Cabrera hit 28 HRs in 1500 ABs over 4 seasons. The fewest HRs he has hit in a season is 28. MC has added 30 lbs since he was in the minors. Flores has a very projectible body and at this weight he will hit 25-30 HRs. He could consistently hit 40+ HRs if he adds the weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    1. I always believed that Flores would be able to play 2B until he grew to big. Flores signed at 160 and now weighs 190-195. He's 6'4 1/2" and can easily add another 30 lbs.

2. Eventually, he would shift to 1B. Even without the weight. he's learning to drive the ball. Fans are too concerned about minor league #s and not where they are on the growing curve. Some will hit only the number they hit in the minors, others will improve. Miguel Cabrera hit 28 HRs in 1500 ABs over 4 seasons. The fewest HRs he has hit in a season is 28. MC has added 30 lbs since he was in the minors. Flores has a very projectible body and at this weight he will hit 25-30 HRs. He could consistently hit 40+ HRs if he adds the weight.
    Not even close. Here's a pic with Josh Satin:

They are about the same, which is around 6'2"-6'3"

I'm tired of the Miguel Cabrera comps, he doesn't have that kind of power and he's not nearly as strong or big. He's pretty lean, but he's just slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast