Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Blogtable: Nets Or Knicks In The East?

Who wins more playoff games next season: the Knicks or Nets?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: Gotta go with the team that got a heart transplant: the Nets. There is no how, no way that Brooklyn — on its home court against a banged-up, undermanned Chicago Bulls squad in the first round — loses Game 7 if it has the leadership and intensity of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in its locker room and on its side. Then you add a highly motivated Andrei Kirilenko as a retro Swiss Army knife, not required at this stage to log heavy minutes, and for such a tiny price (as if that matters there)? I don’t see the Knicks as having done much of anything to get sharper, more focused or more dangerous. I think the Nets double New York’s postseason victory total, easy.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: The Knicks won their first playoff series in ages, flamed out in the second round, and the response was to trade for the soft Andrea Bargnani, re-sign J.R. Smith and then steal faded Metta World Peace from China or the Arena Football League. The Nets get Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and Andrei Kirilenko to go with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez. It’s the Nets by a mile.

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: I think — I think — this is a slam dunk. The Nets will win more playoff games. They’ve got All-Stars at the two key positions, point guard and center (Deron Williams reverted to All-Star form in the second half) and then you bring in the savvy of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to a starting five that also includes Joe Johnson. The stunning signing of Andrei Kirilenko really strengthens the bench. I can’t say the Knicks got better this offseason. Metta World Peace can help defensively, but he’s no Ron Artest at this point.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: The Nets. The Knicks will be interesting, but Brooklyn has positioned itself better for postseason wins. But this is from a guy who thought they had a chance for a long run a year ago, and still believed during sluggish periods in the second half of 2012-13 that the Nets could be the second-best team in the East.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: Brooklyn, because they will have the better defense. Both teams had below-average defenses last season, and though the Nets were worse, they did more to address the issue – with the additions of Kevin Garnett and Andrei Kirilenko – than the Knicks did. New York could put together a solid defensive lineup or two, but still has too many non-defenders in its rotation (particularly with the addition of Andrea Bargnani) to believe it can get back to being the defensive team it was in ’11-12.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: The Knicks have two clear advantages over the Nets and that’s in the coaching department. Mike Woodson is far more experienced than Jason Kidd and Carmelo Anthony plays for the Knicks. But the Nets have the advantages basically everywhere else and that’s why I think they win more playoff games next season. Both of these teams have the tools to make it at least to the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Knicks, while built for success in the regular season, struggled to get past the adversity they faced last season. The Nets, if Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce are healthy, have a crew built for success in the second season.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog: The Nets. The Knicks will win more regular season games, but the Nets strike me as a team built to win in the postseason. I just hope there’s some point in the regular season where Nets coach Jason Kidd has to activate himself for a game or two.
    A clean 7 out of 7 sweep for the Nets. Gotta be excited for the season.

vCash
    More than likely, health will be a major contributing factor to the answer of this question.

vCash
    Knicks

vCash
    Knicks are much better than last year,,,Gone are all the 40 year olds....Knicks will be deeper and much younger..Knicks won 54 games last year,they should do better......They are stronger up and down the lineup and hopefully Amare will be healthy.
    Nets got much better ,,,no doubt.....older too...but small fwd position is much stronger...Team is no longer reliant on Joe Johnson and Deron to carry the scoring load......this will help D Will tremendously..D will had a bad 1st half last year,,I don't see that happening again....Nets will win more games....Both Teams are excellent and may meet
    in the Final Eastern Games...Don't look now..but the Pistons are coming....

vCash
    Nets Starting Lineup Changes

PG: Stays the same with D-will

SG: Stays the same with JJ

SF: Pierce instead of Wallace- Upgrade...especially on offence...Wallace only scored double digits in 18 of 70 (games played) in the regular season and had to rely on him too much in the post-season to just get them to game 7 against the depleted Bulls.

PF: Garnett- Major Upgrade...No PF on the Nets team last year (Evans or Humphries) was able to put the ball in the basket on any consistency. Evans had only 8 double digit scoring games of 80 games played in the regular season...average to 4.5ppg...however he was a monster on the boards averaging 11.1rpg...his biggest downfall was getting offensive rebounds so close to the basket and not being able to score.

C: Stays the same with Lopez.

Bench: The addition of Jason Terry and Kirilenko are major additions to the bench, along with resigning of Blatche and don't forget about Plumlee as a backup for Lopez; a young athletic big. This gives the Nets 1 of the deepest teams in the league.

As a team, last year Brooklyn ranked 17th in ppg at 96.9 (Knicks ranked 11th at 100.0 ppg.) I see this number going up for Brooklyn to where Dallas and the Clippers ranked last year (tied for 8th) at 101.1 ppg.

Brooklyn ranked 10th in rpg at 42.8. I see this staying the same but possibly a tick up because Garnett can rebound easier than Evans because of his size; I also think Garnett will help Lopez be more aggressive on the boards.

Brooklyn ranked 27th in apg at 20.3...(Knicks ranked last with only 19.3 apg)...this statistic will improve drastically, probably improving them within the top 10...Orlando/Philly/Boston were tied for 10th at 22.8 apg. This I think is a conservative estimate, they could easily be in the top 5 in this category.

Brooklyn had a pretty decent defense last year ranking 6th in only allowing 95.1 ppg. I also think this stat will be better this year with the addition of Garnett and Kirilenko. Projecting them in the top 4 behind Memphis, Indiana, Chicago, but ahead of the Clippers and Miami from last years ranks.

Just a few important stats that I see improving with this years team.

vCash
    To me Nets are taking same gamble as previous year... rolling the dice on players on the decline hoping to eek out 1 more year in their prime. I'm a Knick fan and I appreciate and respect the moves this team has made but just like we found out with J-Kidd etc... you're gonna learn today that KG, Pierce & Terry are due for serious decline/drop in production.

How many times last year did we see Paul Pierce drop to the floor like he was shot in Call of Duty from a simple cross over... (A LOT)

KG is all heart but at this stage, minor bite. Pedestrian player at this point.

Terry was HORRIBLE.

Kirilenko serviceable.

If only G Wallace didn't go Nick Anderson on you guys, I would have kept him. Regardless, on paper this looks great so for all you know my assessments could be straight up garbage.

It'll be fun finding out who has the better team at end of the season btwn Knicks and Nets.
    AS MJ WOULD SAY " IS THIS SIGNATURE IN VIOLATION NOW..."

"Isiah's about as safe as me in a room full of cookies, If I'm in a room full of cookies the cookies ain't got no chance." --- Sir Charles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    To me Nets are taking same gamble as previous year... rolling the dice on players on the decline hoping to eek out 1 more year in their prime. I'm a Knick fan and I appreciate and respect the moves this team has made but just like we found out with J-Kidd etc... you're gonna learn today that KG, Pierce & Terry are due for serious decline/drop in production.

How many times last year did we see Paul Pierce drop to the floor like he was shot in Call of Duty from a simple cross over... (A LOT)

Terry was HORRIBLE.

Kirilenko serviceable.

If only G Wallace didn't go Nick Anderson on you guys, I would have kept him. Regardless, on paper this looks great so for all you know my assessments could be straight up garbage.

It'll be fun finding out who has the better team at end of the season btwn Knicks and Nets.
    KG had a great year last year. Was arguably a top 5 defensive player and a top 30 player in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post

Terry was HORRIBLE.

Kirilenko serviceable.

Come on man!

Pierce put up 18.6-6.3-4.8 while having to be the primary offensive weapon night in and night out! He can focus more on defensive as the third option on the Nets. Plus having AK-47 behind him to give him enough rest. Not worried

Garnett's Pedestrian numbers of 18pts and 9.5RB per 36mins is really weak. Again as the 5th scoring option in the starting line up with Blatche behind him. Not worried

Terry is a concern after a poor year, but to say he was HORRIBLE is crazy! Plus he has a much lesser role needed on this Nets team

Kirilenko stats is so close through out his career. He just keeps on putting up the same numbers.

Now if you were to tell me that PP and KG are going to have to be option 1 and 2 on this Brooklyn Nets team night in and night out I would be nervous. I do agree with you that it will be fun to see who is better when the games are being played. There is no doubt in my mind that they will go 1 and 2 in the Atlantic and both teams should get Home court at least in the first round.
    Ballin-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post

A clean 7 out of 7 sweep for the Nets. Gotta be excited for the season.

Only 7 out of 7? Last year Espn had 35 out of 35 not pick the Knicks so this is lightwork.
    http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8517191

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34