Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Prospects making team in 2013

Don't know if this has been discussed specifically but which prospects do you see making the Leafs opening day roster this coming season?

I can see them giving Rielly a shot on D for the max amount of games allowed before sending him down.

They have a few spots to fill on the 3rd and 4th lines so will Colborne finally crack the roster? Ashton, D'amigo, McKegg?

vCash
    The only two guys that I see coming out of camp at this point and sticking with the big club are "maybe" Rielly and I'd say that Colborne will definitly crack the line up. He signed a 1-way deal this offseason so starting him the minors and calling him up makes him vulnerable to waivers. He'd get picked off of the wire for sure. Guys like D'Amigo, Ashton and others will probably get call ups due to injury and maybe one or two of them make the most of things and stick. Plus there's always some real surprises at camp most of the time. Look at Kostco and Fraser last year. We're at the point this year or next (guessing next) where alot more of our kids filter into the line up.

vCash
    Rielly and Colborne are locks imo. D'Amigo is another i would look at
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    maybe add Granberg to the list?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...sion-on-leafs/

He continues to impress people. Being compared physically to Luke Schenn which is nice. But Granberg is a nice skater though, not great but better than Schenn was here.

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Probably start in the AHL and maybe stick with the club before the season's over. I've been impressed with what I've been reading on him as well. I guess he turned into a hard nosed guy on the ice compared to what he used to be. Me or you could probably skate and turn better than Schenn though lol!(JK but Schenn was brutal on his feet.) I think maybe he could start the year with us... maybe. Between the 6/7 D spot it could be wide open. Don't forget that Nonis and Carlyle aren't afraid to sit a guy like Liles or send him down.

vCash
    You never can really guess it right on because some guys just have really good camps and end up surprising and making the team (i.e Fraser, Kostka, Komarov) but the main guys I see having a shot to crack the team are

Morgan Rielly: He has been looked at constantly as a possibility to be NHL ready. The reason why they may keep him for the 9 games is to get his feet wet. Issue is he would have to go back to Junior if they send him down, and what more does he really need to accomplish down there? it'd be a waste.

Joe Colborne: He will definitely have the best chance. He signed a one way, so that makes it more likely. Let's hope he develops and surprises people with the chance he'll get in the bottom six.

Jerry D'Amigo and Kenny Ryan: I think they both have a shot, but it's less likely. D'Amigo more so then Ryan, but Ryan played well last year after a rough start. He has potential to do better. D'Amigo's chance would be now, though I still see him starting in the AHL.

I think Korbinian Holzer and Kevin Marshall have legit shots. Grannberg needs more seasoning. He's too accustom to European play. Needs to play in the AHL.

Tyler Biggs, Greg McKegg and Brad Ross all will start in the AHL.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash

Prospects making team in 2013

Honestly; I think Biggs, Colbourne, and Rielly could see some regular season games. Regardless of how Rielly does in the pre-season, I think he's almost a lock to get a 9 game look. Colbourne looked pretty good near the end of the season and could be a solid bottom 6 center; could see him playing quite a few games with the Leafs this season. Going to be interesting this year with some of our prospects coming around. They just need to keep drafting. I know Gauthier is a bit of a project but I wonder if he gets some pre-season games this year?

vCash
    Biggs isn't close. He's still 2 years away, better to be patient with him as we've been with Ashton and D'Amigo. I could see D'Amigo, D'Amigo, Ashton, and Colbourne battle for that 3rd line spot on the wing, with Rielly, Granberg, Holzer, and Marshall competing for a spot on the back end. If Liles is moved 2 of them could have a full time role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Biggs isn't close. He's still 2 years away, better to be patient with him as we've been with Ashton and D'Amigo. I could see D'Amigo, D'Amigo, Ashton, and Colbourne battle for that 3rd line spot on the wing, with Rielly, Granberg, Holzer, and Marshall competing for a spot on the back end. If Liles is moved 2 of them could have a full time role.
    We have two D'Amigo's!? TWINS?

Lol just screwing with you.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Granberg's not ready. People need to chill with him. He won't be ready for a bit.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    We have two D'Amigo's!? TWINS?

Lol just screwing with you.
    Lol that would be awesome though wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Granberg's not ready. People need to chill with him. He won't be ready for a bit.
    Granberg may need time to adjust your right, but playing in the World Hockey Chamionships is a good indication to how much he's improved the last 2 seasons playing in the SEL.

vCash
    Granberg is ready imo. He was playing against the Stamkos line against Canada for most of their head to head games. That speaks volumes about his game considering that tournament was considered his "coming out party" as a spec.

From all accounts he has been very impressive this camp. His skating isn't bad, he is pretty tough to get around on the big open ice in Europe, so i'm excited to see him in a smaller rink. I'm worried about his ability to move the puck because he has to move faster offensively in the NHL but if you've seen him you'll know how he is on D. Very smart and has a long reach with good wheels. Gunnar is a great example of what he looks like, and he's developing into a punisher.

Dave Morrison said he was as NHL-ready as they come. I'm thinking Granberg is on this team come opening day. Carlyle hates playing guys on the wrong sides, and Franson is the only RHD we have... Granberg would be his new BFF

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Lol that would be awesome though wouldn't it?

Granberg may need time to adjust your right, but playing in the World Hockey Chamionships is a good indication to how much he's improved the last 2 seasons playing in the SEL.
    I definitely agree his game is on the upwards, but I still think he needs polishing at the AHL level. He definitely won't have it easy just jumping into the NHL.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke2; 07-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Granberg is ready imo. He was playing against the Stamkos line against Canada for most of their head to head games. That speaks volumes about his game considering that tournament was considered his "coming out party" as a spec.

From all accounts he has been very impressive this camp. His skating isn't bad, he is pretty tough to get around on the big open ice in Europe, so i'm excited to see him in a smaller rink. I'm worried about his ability to move the puck because he has to move faster offensively in the NHL but if you've seen him you'll know how he is on D. Very smart and has a long reach with good wheels. Gunnar is a great example of what he looks like, and he's developing into a punisher.

Dave Morrison said he was as NHL-ready as they come. I'm thinking Granberg is on this team come opening day. Carlyle hates playing guys on the wrong sides, and Franson is the only RHD we have... Granberg would be his new BFF
    In the article it also said they feel like he should start at the AHL level so he can adjust to the North American game. He's only 20 years old going on 21.

But I do agree with everything else you've said. He's definitely got what it takes. I still don't see him making the team come October, but again stranger things have happened.

He was paired with Rielly and apparently they molded very well together. Heck if he does make it and it helps this team fantastic, I just don't want him to be rushed and him look like a boy among men out there. It's the NHL after all.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    I would bet on Marshall being the 2013 Fraser. He may not make the team but I bet he makes it difficult for RC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast