Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Mets will have higher payroll for 2014 season

Mets will have higher payroll for 2014 season after big contracts come off books

Mets COO Jeff Wilpon told WFAN radio on Monday that the team is prepared to invest aggressively in the club's payroll for 2014, helped by improved flexibility because big contracts such as those of Johan Santana and Jason Bay are set to expire.

"We haven't set a payroll for next year, but I can tell you we're ready to invest with those big contracts coming off the books," Wilpon said. "We have the money to invest. We're going to invest it prudently. Sandy [Alderson, the general manager] is going to set a path.

"There's no predetermined, set way we're going to spend the money, but we do have the money to spend, and depending how it all falls out . . . what trades can be made or can't be made, and where Sandy thinks the best use of those funds are."

Wilpon expressed optimism that fans will turn out to support an improved, exciting young team.

"It has some effect on how many people come out and support us," Wilpon said. "But we think the product we're going to be putting on the field, [the fans] are going to come out and support it because they're going to be excited about it, with the young kids as well."

Wilpon was asked what the biggest misconception is about the organization and said, "I think that ownership and the organization doesn't care about the fans. We care about the fans. We want to put a good product out there.

"We live and die with the team, and we wouldn't own it if we didn't want to live and die with the team. This is our life, this is our business and we'd like to do a better job at it. And we need to do a better job, and we will . . . We're going to do what we need to do to win."
    http://www.newsday.com/mobile/sports...ooks-1.5698883

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Mets will have higher payroll for 2014 season

Insert what Cashman said here.

vCash
    But...nothing in the actual article says the Mets will have a higher payroll in 2014. With tens of millions coming off the books, even if they are aggressive, that may not lead to a higher payroll in 2014. Whomever at Newsday wrote the headline for this article is a slacker. If the Mets payroll in 2014 is lower, some fans will claim JW lied -- which is not the case.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    But...nothing in the actual article says the Mets will have a higher payroll in 2014. With tens of millions coming off the books, even if they are aggressive, that may not lead to a higher payroll in 2014. Whomever at Newsday wrote the headline for this article is a slacker. If the Mets payroll in 2014 is lower, some fans will claim JW lied -- which is not the case.
    +1 - they could spend yet it might be less than what's coming off the books. Besides Ellsbury (and I'm not sure I want to break the bank for a leadoff hitter), there doesn't appear much to buy out there. Wonder if Tigers will ever part ways with Fielder?

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Does it say HIGHER PAYROLL anywhere but the title of the article?

"We haven't set a payroll for next year, but I can tell you we're ready to invest with those big contracts coming off the books. We have the money to invest. We're going to invest it prudently."

where did that come from Newsday? you're worse than the board

and even so.. higher payroll on what grounds? higher than 95 on the books or higher than the 45 on the field
    **** justin verlander and **** colin hanks for kind of looking like him.

vCash
    No it came from the Jeff Wilpon interview with Mike Francesa.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    No it came from the Jeff Wilpon interview with Mike Francesa.
    I see it as the headline to the article, is there a full text of the interview available (or do I have to listen to the whole podcast)?
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    We're going to invest it prudently.
    That's all I took from the article. Translation: we're only going to sign guys who are somehow getting way underpaid. Cross off any big acquisitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    That's all I took from the article. Translation: we're only going to sign guys who are somehow getting way underpaid. Cross off any big acquisitions.
    Better that than players that are being overpaid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Would like to see where they go with this

Just because they have money doesn't mean they should go give out a 100m contract, especially with the options.

It means no execuses to go after aggressive 1-3 year deals especially if these guys are 31+

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    and even so.. higher payroll on what grounds? higher than 95 on the books or higher than the 45 on the field
    There's that.

The logical perspective here is that unless the Mets sign Cano, the 2014 payroll is not likely to exceed the total 2013 payroll significantly. We can hope they sign two FAs, and make a trade for another quality player. That might add up to $40 million + the $9 million bump for Wright's salary. I think this would put them around $95 milllion.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Once again, I don't care what the payroll is and I don't think any fan should either.

I want a winner - so give me one.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Once again, I don't care what the payroll is and I don't think any fan should either.

I want a winner - so give me one.

I don't care what the car cost, I just want it. Give me one. ---- Hello?

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    I don't care what the car cost, I just want it. Give me one. ---- Hello?
    I took that to mean the opposite. I don't care if the car is 50K, how does it run?

vCash
    If the Mets win 89-90 games in 2014 and get into the playoffs, will you be upset because the payroll is $80 million and $95 million?

The only number I care about is wins. I hold the organization responsible for that number alone. Absolute payroll is just 1 variable that affects that endpoint.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast