Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,672
    vCash
    1500

    Celtics acquire 10.3 Million Trade Exception from Nets

    Holy Smokes !! Great job Ainge !!!

    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celti...-cs-nets-trade

    The secret gem in C's-Nets trade

    WALTHAM, Mass. -- In this era of instant gratification, what's immediately available to the Boston Celtics after a blockbuster swap with the Brooklyn Nets will do little to excite a fan base reluctant to endure this transition process after six consecutive years of contender status. But this deal was built around future assets and not just the three first-round draft picks (2014, '16, '18) and a chance to swap first-round picks with the Nets in the 2017 draft.

    The Celtics acquired a $10.3 million traded player exception as part of the Nets swap. That's an insanely valuable asset for a team that could put itself in position to vault back to contender status -- and remain there -- if it makes the right steps moving forward.

    What is a trade exception? If you don't want to drown in legalese, you can read Larry Coon's detailed explanation in his indispensable NBA Salary Cap FAQ. But trade exceptions essentially give teams a one-year window in which to complete a trade by acquiring the difference in salary sent out.

    The creative wizards in the Celtics' front office -- a group helmed by president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, assistant general manager Mike Zarren, and director of player personnel Austin Ainge -- were able to structure the Nets deal in such a way that a trade exception was generated for the difference in salaries between Paul Pierce ($15.3 million) and Keith Bogans ($5 million). Understanding exactly how that happened and why it works is enough to make you go cross-eyed. The bottom line is that Boston now has the ability to absorb $10.3 million worth of salary so long as it does so within a one-year window that started with Friday's official consummation of the trade.

    At the moment, the trade exception is of little use (though it could potentially be divided into smaller chunks to facilitate a more minor move). By receiving Bogans via sign-and-trade in this Nets deal, the Celtics are hard-capped next season, meaning they cannot exceed the luxury tax apron ($75.75 million) at any point during the 2013-14 campaign.

    After waiving Kris Joseph on Monday, the Celtics have 14 signed players (including one nonguaranteed deal in Shavlik Randolph) for a total current salary commitment of roughly $71.5 million. The Celtics plan to add more salary, but also desire to stay below the luxury tax threshold of $71.75 million, which could further aid their future efforts by keeping them away from looming repeater rates. There's more roster shuffling ahead this summer.

    But by clearing additional cap clog, the Celtics have potential to stomp on the rebuilding accelerator pedal in a year's time, particularly if a young core is nurtured this season. Boston owns two first-round picks next June (its own and Brooklyn's), which will allow it to add to its cluster of low-cost bodies. If the Celtics can free cap room, and have the trade exception at their disposal, there's an opportunity to add impact bodies that could thrust them through the transition state.

    Of course, this puts a little pressure on Boston's front office. The trade exception will expire on July 12, 2014, meaning it has to be used soon after the moratorium lifts next summer. But the sign-and-trade options it affords could bring in a star-caliber player. Just check out NBA Reference's player contract register and examine potential options in the $10 million range for the 2014-15 season (or pick two $5 million bodies). If another team desires to shed salary and head into its own rebuild mode by moving on from a star player, Boston can absorb that talent.

    Which means that while fans might have struggled to muster enthusiasm for Monday's introductions, next summer could lead to much glitzier reveals.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington nh
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd24 View Post
    Holy Smokes !! Great job Ainge !!!

    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celti...-cs-nets-trade

    The secret gem in C's-Nets trade

    WALTHAM, Mass. -- In this era of instant gratification, what's immediately available to the Boston Celtics after a blockbuster swap with the Brooklyn Nets will do little to excite a fan base reluctant to endure this transition process after six consecutive years of contender status. But this deal was built around future assets and not just the three first-round draft picks (2014, '16, '18) and a chance to swap first-round picks with the Nets in the 2017 draft.

    The Celtics acquired a $10.3 million traded player exception as part of the Nets swap. That's an insanely valuable asset for a team that could put itself in position to vault back to contender status -- and remain there -- if it makes the right steps moving forward.

    What is a trade exception? If you don't want to drown in legalese, you can read Larry Coon's detailed explanation in his indispensable NBA Salary Cap FAQ. But trade exceptions essentially give teams a one-year window in which to complete a trade by acquiring the difference in salary sent out.

    The creative wizards in the Celtics' front office -- a group helmed by president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, assistant general manager Mike Zarren, and director of player personnel Austin Ainge -- were able to structure the Nets deal in such a way that a trade exception was generated for the difference in salaries between Paul Pierce ($15.3 million) and Keith Bogans ($5 million). Understanding exactly how that happened and why it works is enough to make you go cross-eyed. The bottom line is that Boston now has the ability to absorb $10.3 million worth of salary so long as it does so within a one-year window that started with Friday's official consummation of the trade.

    At the moment, the trade exception is of little use (though it could potentially be divided into smaller chunks to facilitate a more minor move). By receiving Bogans via sign-and-trade in this Nets deal, the Celtics are hard-capped next season, meaning they cannot exceed the luxury tax apron ($75.75 million) at any point during the 2013-14 campaign.

    After waiving Kris Joseph on Monday, the Celtics have 14 signed players (including one nonguaranteed deal in Shavlik Randolph) for a total current salary commitment of roughly $71.5 million. The Celtics plan to add more salary, but also desire to stay below the luxury tax threshold of $71.75 million, which could further aid their future efforts by keeping them away from looming repeater rates. There's more roster shuffling ahead this summer.

    But by clearing additional cap clog, the Celtics have potential to stomp on the rebuilding accelerator pedal in a year's time, particularly if a young core is nurtured this season. Boston owns two first-round picks next June (its own and Brooklyn's), which will allow it to add to its cluster of low-cost bodies. If the Celtics can free cap room, and have the trade exception at their disposal, there's an opportunity to add impact bodies that could thrust them through the transition state.

    Of course, this puts a little pressure on Boston's front office. The trade exception will expire on July 12, 2014, meaning it has to be used soon after the moratorium lifts next summer. But the sign-and-trade options it affords could bring in a star-caliber player. Just check out NBA Reference's player contract register and examine potential options in the $10 million range for the 2014-15 season (or pick two $5 million bodies). If another team desires to shed salary and head into its own rebuild mode by moving on from a star player, Boston can absorb that talent.

    Which means that while fans might have struggled to muster enthusiasm for Monday's introductions, next summer could lead to much glitzier reveals.
    beat me to it I was looking for link.
    this is huge, why would they get a trae exception especially that big if they didn't plan to use it. but for who? any thoughts on who we might be targeting?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington nh
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    1500
    so in all the trade was
    Bos gets:
    brooks
    Humphries
    Wallace
    bogans
    joseph (waived today)
    2014 1st rd pick
    2016 1st rd pick
    2018 1st round pick
    $10.3 mill trade exception
    Give up:
    kg
    pierce
    terry
    white

    trade looks better and makes more sense every day, it will definitely be hard to go against kg and even more for pierce but well worth it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bstnfn34 View Post
    so in all the trade was
    Bos gets: Bos gives up:
    brooks kg
    Humphries pierce
    Wallace terry
    bogans white
    joseph (waived today)
    2014 1st rd pick
    2016 1st rd pick
    2018 1st round pick
    $10.3 mill trade exception

    trade looks better and makes more sense every day, it will definitely be hard to go against kg and even more for pierce but well worth it

    Boston also has the right to swap 1st round picks with Brooklyn in 2017.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington nh
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd24 View Post
    Boston also has the right to swap 1st round picks with Brooklyn in 2017.
    thanks I thought I was missing that

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,384
    vCash
    1500
    Interesting and very nice.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bstnfn34 View Post
    beat me to it I was looking for link.
    this is huge, why would they get a trae exception especially that big if they didn't plan to use it. but for who? any thoughts on who we might be targeting?

    Tough to say who Ainge is targeting. When it's all said and done come this time next year, you could be adding a top 10 pick (Darn good player) from the loaded draft + a max contract guy.

    That's going to get interesting. He could rebuild in a hurry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,313
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd24 View Post
    Tough to say who Ainge is targeting. When it's all said and done come this time next year, you could be adding a top 10 pick (Darn good player) from the loaded draft + a max contract guy.

    That's going to get interesting. He could rebuild in a hurry.
    The only top unrestricted free agent next year worth mentioning is Carmelo, maybe granger depending on how you feel about him. Interesting restricted free agents include favors, cousins, bledsoe, paul george and monroe.

    Atlantic City Redraft Champions

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    32
    vCash
    1500
    Lebron ad wade if they opt out too...impractical though. They'll be with the Heat.
    Next offseason will be interesting. Bogans will be waived (his contract is only guaranteed this year), Humpries' contract expires. That's $17 million off the books there alone. Now we have this trade exception that we can get another double digit a year contract. Whether or not Danny works some magic by getting rid of Wallace's contract, we could get a couple max contract guys and be right back up there in the East. Imagine if we could get rid of Wallace. Not to mention we still have that those draft picks.
    Last edited by Celt17; 07-15-2013 at 10:58 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd3b54 View Post
    The only top unrestricted free agent next year worth mentioning is Carmelo, maybe granger depending on how you feel about him. Interesting restricted free agents include favors, cousins, bledsoe, paul george and monroe.
    Do you think the max contract guy would come via trade or as an unrestricted free agent ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36,789
    vCash
    6500
    We dont get max contract guys via FA in boston.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1
    vCash
    1500
    Does this bolster the argument to hold onto Rondo?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    We dont get max contract guys via FA in boston.
    Exactly. That's why it's not important whose an unrestricted free agent. Most likely a sign & trade.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    23,138
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd24 View Post
    Exactly. That's why it's not important whose an unrestricted free agent. Most likely a sign & trade.
    A sign and trade needs a player to you know, actually have to agree to go to the team he's going to.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,384
    vCash
    1500
    Of course what else it could be used for is on an unbalanced trade such as:

    Rondo, Humphries for 2 or 3 big contracts on deals 2 or more years that need a PG. That team (Knicks?) gets cap relief this year, a nice expiring next year, and an "elite" PG. We get 2-3 #1's for the favor.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 07-16-2013 at 06:06 AM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •