Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

New Offseason Idea

Q: With the NBA Summer League going on right now, it's got me thinking a bit about how the NFL offseason could be perhaps a little more interesting. What do you think of an early-summer seven-on-seven or flag football tournament for rookies and other players who are on the roster bubble? Both games are a lot safer than actual football, so there's not much concern for injury, and the players might actually try (unlike in the Pro Bowl). It might give rookies a bit more experience and a chance for everyone to get a better idea of what they can do. This idea isn't perfect of course -- linemen would be basically excluded and the games aren't "real football" games. Still, I think it's an interesting proposal and I was wondering what your opinion was on this idea. Is it feasible? Do you think a similar event could ever happen?

Dylan in West St. Paul, Minn.

A: Normally, I wouldn't go for an idea like that, but this offseason may have changed my mind. The league isn't going to go for an extra activity that risks their players to injury, but you may be on to something. From the third week in June until the last week in July, the NFL takes a serious P.R. hit. You have more arrests than player transactions. It hurts the sport. A seven-on-seven game or flag football tournament that could keep players active and still be safe might be a good way of keeping players active and out of trouble.
    I found this on ESPN and as John Clayton has stated in his Answer to the guys question with all the arrests that have happen since the Super Bowl I don't think its a bad idea. What doe everybody think about the idea that was purposed. Now I don't think this idea would ever come about but it is an interesting one at that.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

vCash
    Maybe for the rookies to get to know people or just get together or something wouldn't be bad, but players who are on a bubble would be better off working their *** off and learning their team's playbook (or practicing with players from the team) than playing 7v7 flag football if they're trying to keep their job.

vCash
    not interested

vCash
    This is a bad idea, and you should feel bad for posting it.

vCash
    Bad Idea to play any kind of football for fun when your career is at stake. Just ask Robert Edwards about flag football. Or Steve Smith. Or Chandler Williams.

I don't think it will sell well either (who watches the ex-stars play flag football the day before the pro-bowl?)

vCash
    Won't happen because of the fear for injuries.

Me and norm were talking about how the NFL should show game replays during the offseason but instead of listening to the commentators they could do more mic'd up stuff. They could show the game from the coaches/players point of view and hear them talk bout adjustments they need to make as the game goes on etc.

vCash
    There's supposedly two new leagues starting next year for Spring/Summer

They can be the de facto summer leagues. Though players in the NFL won't be on them.

That isn't really what I personally want to see. I want to see the fringe guys getting shots that they wouldn't otherwise get. Depending on how that goes, the pay might be a better idea for them there anyways and hope to move up after being on the field.

It needs to exist but most fans only scratch the surface.

Someone said something about "ask so and so."

Yeah well ask the 20+ fringe roster guys who get cut every single year who never get a shot. I guarantee they all are willing to take those risk to play actual games to show what they can do under the lights.

90 man rosters let guys fall through the cracks. It's just GOING to happen. I mean FFS GB's starting CBs are both UDFAs and one got cut early in TC his rookie year. Shields only got to play CB in TC because of injuries...

Those guys could easily have not gotten the right shots and could be sitting on PSD with us instead of being SB winning millionaires.

It's not about "not interested" because you wouldn't watch. It's about the betterment of the game, the chance for guys who get lost in the shuffle every year to actually play football and not just run through drills.

Most of the people vehemently against this, don't watch college, wouldn't ever watch HS, or a preseason game after the 2nd quarter. They want to see stars and stars only.

Yes, I agree that is the best quality of football, but this could still be interesting, and if you don't watch it, fine. I don't blame you. But this could produce players that would never have gotten into the league. Arian Foster's still slip through.

Look at all the damn incredible athletes we see post ridiculous workout numbers who maybe don't have the experience or lacked the coaching that go undrafted every single year. This could cultivate some of them into NFL players.

Other than funding, I don't see the negatives. I'm not asking guys who are locks to make 53s play this and risk their careers. I'm asking guys fighting for a roster spot to fight on the football field for a few weeks of practice and games under better more rigorous coaching than they've seen in their college careers.

What's the freaking negatives in it for those guys?

Never ever will understand the anti-D-league sentiment. Though I tend to be a "sleeper" lover type guy who's more curious about the bottom 20 on our roster than the starter 22. Most are too casual to go beyond the stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post

Me and norm were talking about how the NFL should show game replays during the offseason but instead of listening to the commentators they could do more mic'd up stuff. They could show the game from the coaches/players point of view and hear them talk bout adjustments they need to make as the game goes on etc.
    I'll respond here for most PSDers won't read anything too long I have to say.

If this league was only for fringe guys who are long shots to make their respective rosters, they should be willing to risk injury to prove themselves and to live their dream. Much is made of what the NFL would have to pay these guys if they get hurt and I don't see why. You can go play Semi-Pro for $80 a game. Do they have to sign $500k checks when a guy blows out his ACL.

What am I missing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I'll respond here for most PSDers won't read anything too long I have to say.

If this league was only for fringe guys who are long shots to make their respective rosters, they should be willing to risk injury to prove themselves and to live their dream. Much is made of what the NFL would have to pay these guys if they get hurt and I don't see why. You can go play Semi-Pro for $80 a game. Do they have to sign $500k checks when a guy blows out his ACL.

What am I missing?
    Yeah good point. I wasn't talking about just the fringe players tho. But I see what you're saying

vCash
    Yeah good point. I wasn't talking about just the fringe players tho. But I see what you're saying
    This is all I want.

I read this on another forum, might have been the same thing the OP posted.

He said it was for the........god what names did he use. It was too guys on 53s and one was a backup QB. That's not what I want.

I'm not asking like......Graham Harrell to be out there. Or like for GB Davon House.

I'm talking about nobodies. Tryout players. The last 15-20 guys on the 90. THOSE guys. And don't think those guys never become players.

I used Shields in GB, yeah he got his shot, but because CBs got hurt. What if they don't? He sucked on returns.

It's hard to make comparisons because these guys made it, so someone will just say...well the cream rose to the top. Look at another CB like Chris Harris right? Nobody in the world saw him making that DEN roster. Last year he was one of the better slot corners in the game, arguably the damned best.

Look at someone like DuJuan Harris for us. Bouncing around all over the place and finally he probably found his niche. May have come quite earlier had he been given a legit shot. Even if it was in a Dleague.

You got guys like Cruz going UD and becoming one of the better slot WRs in the game. Though he balled out right away when given a chance, maybe guys a bit lesser slide through the cracks.

Foster is the ultimate obvious one at backs but there's been finds like Woodhead. What about the GOAT fullback over in Raiderland. Pretty nice asset there that could have slipped through. Ivory is slayed to be the bellcow over in NY there, he's been a bucket full of injuries but a darn hard runner and could be something if he stays on the field.

You always got the easy ones like Welker and Romo. Welker's replacement and fellow Red Raider.

If all these guys are carving out spots, I have to believe there's guys falling through the cracks that could be found with a league like this.

I'm for improving this league anyway possible and giving fringe guys the best shot possible. This is the way.

vCash

It would be cool to show game replays with player comentary kinda like DVD/blu ray movies. It would be really cool to see Kenny Stabler and Terry Bradshaw give comentary on the immaculate reception game. Or Joe Flacco and Peyton Manning on the divisional playoff game last season. I know this is off topic but it would be cool to see.
    "Life is great. Football is better". -Steve Sabol

vCash
    All for a developmental league kind of thing. It's not about the fans who watch, it's about the scouts and NFL personnel guys who do.

Find those gems. Guys like my own Willie parker and James Harrison. Especially guys like that. Both udfa's. Parker barely played in college and wasn't sought after as a udfa. Our scouts and cowher gave him a shot and he was a hell of a back for us. Key piece for 2 sb runs..

If not for a developmental league, NFL Europe, Harrison would have never been a dpoy, and would have never had one of the most dominant 4 year runs as a lb in the history of the league.

ANY kind of developmental league is good business for the NFL. Many of the non stars still haven't grown into their bodies yet, and haven't taken it serious enough yet. Give them some time...