Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mike Piazza, Mets HOF inductee

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN Mets will induct Mike Piazza into the team's Hall of Fame on Sept. 29. #mets

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Will they retire his number?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash

Mike Piazza, Mets HOF inductee

They should and I think they will get it right and do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Will they retire his number?
    I speculate, no.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    They absolutely should retire his number. There really is no reason not to.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Rock the sig if you support the cause to retire Piazza's number

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    They absolutely should retire his number. There really is no reason not to.
    Mets have not retired numbers of Carter, Hernandez, etc. Why would they retire Piazza's? Especially since GC is a HoFer.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Gary Carter was my favorite player growing up as a Mets fan in the mid to late 80s. And he simply wasn't very good for very long as a Met. There is good reason his number isn't retired as a Met.

You can make something of a case for Hernandez.

But Piazza spent about 9 years with the Mets - and was clearly the cornerstone player of his era for this organization. And do you think Piazza is not a Hall of Fame caliber player? We all know why he wasn't inducted into the HoF this year. Does that mean he wasn't one of the greatest catchers of all time?

He remains beloved in a way by the fans that should not be discounted.

His number should be retired by the Mets. They should get this right.

vCash
    Gary Carter was my favorite player growing up as a Mets fan in the mid to late 80s. And he simply wasn't very good for very long as a Met. There is good reason his number isn't retired as a Met.

You can make something of a case for Hernandez.

But Piazza spent about 9 years with the Mets - and was clearly the cornerstone player of his era for this organization. And do you think Piazza is not a Hall of Fame caliber player? We all know why he wasn't inducted into the HoF this year. Does that mean he wasn't one of the greatest catchers of all time?

He remains beloved in a way by the fans that should not be discounted.

His number should be retired by the Mets. They should get this right.
    GC was major part of a W Championship. I dont think they can retire Piazza's number w/o doing the same for GC. That's why I predict they wont.

vCash
    Well I don't know what they will do. And as I said I loved Gary Carter growing up. But as far as overall impact during his era as a Met (overall production, place in history, impact on team's winning, etc.) I think Piazza is considerably higher on the totem pole - even though the team didn't get over the hump while he was here.

vCash
    Well I don't know what they will do. And as I said I loved Gary Carter growing up. But as far as overall impact during his era as a Met (overall production, place in history, impact on team's winning, etc.) I think Piazza is considerably higher on the totem pole - even though the team didn't get over the hump while he was here.
    That is true. If the Mets had won a Championship with Piazza, I think it would almost be a given that his # would be retired. I dont necessarily agree with that bc I think some people get too hung up on Championships as a measure of greatness.

vCash
    Blame Timo Perez if he doesn't get his number retired.

vCash
    I think retiring numbers in general is dumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Mets have not retired numbers of Carter, Hernandez, etc. Why would they retire Piazza's? Especially since GC is a HoFer.
    No one has worn carter's numbers since he was inducted, and no one has worn Mike's number since he left.
    Hernandez isn't in their class. I like him but he is not a hall of fame player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    No one has worn carter's numbers since he was inducted, and no one has worn Mike's number since he left.
    Hernandez isn't in their class. I like him but he is not a hall of fame player.
    Charlie Manuel unofficially retired certain numbers in that if no one of merit asked for a number, he would not issue it. That unwritten policy probably continues.

Hernandez is in the Mets HoF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast