Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets don't learn......they'll probably keep Byrd

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...-ominous-injur

Relevant part:

Marlon Byrd is the perfect candidate to be traded this month, right? A veteran on a one-year contract, distinguishing himself with dynamic play for the non-contending Mets and not a part of their future -- that’s a guy who moves to a better team before the July 31 trade deadline.

Except that he probably isn’t. According to a person with direct knowledge of the Mets’ thinking, the club is far more likely to duplicate its approach with Scott Hairston last year, holding onto Byrd in an effort to be respectable in the second half.

This info provides a good jumping-off point to unpack what the Mets mean by “standing pat” at the deadline, which they are likely to do. For several years, it has been the team’s style to avoid shaving decent pieces from the roster mid-season, and this summer is no different, team insiders say.

The Mets, as we have reported, have always been more inclined to add players this season, but have found that top targets like Giancarlo Stanton and Carlos Gonzalez are unavailable at the moment. The team was never serious about selling, so in the absence of attractive buying possibilities, they have told other teams that they will, as the saying goes, stand pat.

The reluctance to hang a For Sale sign around Byrd, Daniel Murphy, Bobby Parnell and others has been met with some skepticism around the league. Said one rival scout: “I’m hearing they want to stand pat, but I can’t read whether that’s posturing to drive up prices.”

Time will tell on that, but the Hairston model is an instructive one, and more appropriate for the Mets this season than last. Unlike in 2012, the 2013 Mets failed to create much hope or energy in the first few months (“we’re going to lose 100 games this year,” a player groaned to me -- in May).

But in recent weeks, that has changed. Sandy Alderson’s re-arranging of the roster deck chairs a few weeks ago seemed to energize the team; Lucas Duda and Ruben Tejada gave way to Eric Young Jr. and Omar Quintanilla, making the Mets a more athletic team, and far sleeker defensively. Pitching coach Dan Warthen has helped to squeeze the most from Jeremy Hefner and Dillon Gee, and Zack Wheeler has shown improvement of late.

Because of these factors, the Mets have a chance to reverse the trend of recent seasons, finishing with more energy than they began -- which could, incidentally, save the job of an excellent manager in Terry Collins. Moving Byrd and others (especially Parnell, who the Daily News reported last week is highly likely to stay), would crush any hope of that.

It is debatable whether the Mets could even receive a decent piece in exchange for Byrd. Here, Hairston is once again a useful example. A few days ago, Chicago traded Hairston to Washington for Single-A pitcher Ivan Pineyro. A Cubs insider told us that Pineyro is a prospect, but “a few years away.”

Is it worth it for the Mets to move Byrd for an arm that might or might not be useful in 2016? The team would rather try to win a few more games this summer.
    Bottom line, the Cubs turned Hairston into a potential arm for the long term (and that's with Hairston doing bad, unlike his time with us).

There is ZERO reason to not trade Byrd. If they keep Byrd around just to get a few MEANINGLESS wins in August and September, then I'm not watching the team for the rest of the year.

I really hope Sandy is just posturing. He blew it with Reyes, and he blew it with Hairston. If he blows it with Byrd, and other teams find a way to benefit (ala the Cubs with Hairston) then I'll be really pissed off.

vCash
    Oh wait. Wrong place. Sorry everyone.

Darn..........I meant to put this in the Mets forum. My bad.

vCash
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    lol
    Honest mistake. I opened the Knick forum thinking it was the Met forum. Oh well.

At least the Knicks aren't dumb enough to not trade for future pieces just to get a few extra meaningless wins in a losing season.

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Blue and orange is blue and orange I guess...............
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Honest mistake. I opened the Knick forum thinking it was the Met forum. Oh well.

At least the Knicks aren't dumb enough to not trade for future pieces just to get a few extra meaningless wins in a losing season.
    Yea I know it was a mistake, happens... I just thought I was in the wrong forum when I read the thread title lol. Mets need to trade Byrd I agree with you on that, no reason to keep him if we're not competing this season.

vCash
    I don't care if it's in the wrong forum. I disagree with you then and I'll disagree with you now.

What exactly do you think Marlon Byrd will yield? You're delusional if you think he's gonna be a part of another Wheeler-Beltran type deal. Best case scenario they get a mid to low-level B prospect. He's doing well for us...something that most players who play for the Mets never do. Let him stay for heaven's sake and get us a couple extra wins so we can feel an ounce of self-respect as Mets fan.

Mets fans are so pathetic sometimes.

vCash
    Tag your it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    Blue and orange is blue and orange I guess...............
    Problem is that the other blue and orange team are the islanders......Shudders

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

[QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMetropolitans View Post
    I don't care if it's in the wrong forum. I disagree with you then and I'll disagree with you now.

What exactly do you think Marlon Byrd will yield? You're delusional if you think he's gonna be a part of another Wheeler-Beltran type deal. Best case scenario they get a mid to low-level B prospect. He's doing well for us...something that most players who play for the Mets never do. Let him stay for heaven's sake and get us a couple extra wins so we can feel an ounce of self-respect as Mets fan.

Mets fans are so pathetic sometimes.
    He's got 15 homers at the All Star break. You don't think there's at least one team out there that feels they're one big right handed hitter away from going over the top?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 07-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

Mets don't learn......they'll probably keep Byrd

The Pirates need a RF, they have a great fame, you can get a solid prospect for him.

vCash
    my god my fellow mets fans, you really have become delusional you cant just trade everyone for something good-wed be lucky to get a package like we got for wagner a few years ago (which im sure you have all read the threads on that)

please stop with these "trade player x" threads or blaming the front office for not moving them trading a verteran who was out of baseball last year with a good first half and a PED issue in the past will net you nothing

vCash
    Again, depends on what is being offered. Personally I would rather win more games and enjoy my summer than trade Byrd for a guy that is a below average prospect.
    You don't trade players just because you can. Patience must be applied here.

vCash
    They're far more interested in protecting attendance than anything else. The Wagner deal showed them up for what they are, cheap creeps.

vCash
    I'd trade him if I'm getting a real prospect back. I'm not going to just give him up just because people think the Mets are bad and they don't need good players on their team. That's idiotic.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast