Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

must read interview with salty by fan graphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-depth-with-jarrod-saltalamacchia/

Seems to me he is like a tek jr and it actually makes me appreciate salty even more

Worth your time to read it

vCash
    He talks a great game.... too bad he can't translate what he seems to know into good enough action to actually be a fine defensive catcher. He can be good at times in some areas, then switches to some other combo of great/crappy traits. He has never been a consistently fine catcher and I doubt he ever will be.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    a tek jr? If he could call half the game Varitek could we would be golden and everybody would be able to live with his streaky offense

vCash
    Wow, that was really insightful. If only he could throw out more base runners.....

He'll likely get a 4 year contract from us at the end of the season, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    He'll likely get a 4 year contract from us at the end of the season, IMO.
    What an awful thing that would be. Yoking ourselves with fairly big money for a terrible defensive catcher that hits the first 4 months of the season.

Screw that.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Yea I don't want to deal with 33 year old Salty. Maybe 2 years TOPS. But Lavarnway should start getting the bulk of games next year I think. Time to give it to him or not.

vCash
    This is stuff any catcher knows on paper. Let me see that knowledge being used in game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    What an awful thing that would be. Yoking ourselves with fairly big money for a terrible defensive catcher that hits the first 4 months of the season.

Screw that.
    Agreed, if we are going to give a catcher 4 years and handing out alot of $$ anyways, spend the extra on McCann. I think Ryan Lavarnway and Ross is catching duo for next year anyways.

vCash

Screw that.
    #1 I didn't say I want him back next year, I said I think we re-sign him "IMO"

#2 He'll be looking for 4 years at least, and if we don't give it to him he'll gladly walk to a team that will give it to him.

The thought of either Salty or Lavarnway starting next year is nauseating to me, I'd rather sign McCann.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    Yea I don't want to deal with 33 year old Salty. Maybe 2 years TOPS. But Lavarnway should start getting the bulk of games next year I think. Time to give it to him or not.
    Well then Lavarnway/McCann will be starting, Salty isn't re-signing for 2 years, he'll gladly walk for 4 years.

vCash
    Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players. Name 10 catchers better than Salty? He's a VERY good catcher. Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH. Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player. Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense. He's also a great clubhouse guy. I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around. YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT. Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    #1 I didn't say I want him back next year, I said I think we re-sign him "IMO"
    And my reply is regarding the idea, not the person that wrote it.

#2 He'll be looking for 4 years at least, and if we don't give it to him he'll gladly walk to a team that will give it to him.
    Promise?

The thought of either Salty or Lavarnway starting next year is nauseating to me, I'd rather sign McCann.
    McCann is an elite offensive catcher. He's making $12M this year, before he gets to FA. He could easily get an offer of $15M x 4 - or better. But he'll be 30 in February, and is not an elite defender. I don't see him coming here.

vCash
    And my reply is regarding the idea, not the person that wrote it.

Promise?

McCann is an elite offensive catcher. He's making $12M this year, before he gets to FA. He could easily get an offer of $15M x 4 - or better. But he'll be 30 in February, and is not an elite defender. I don't see him coming here.
    This. McCann fan but hes not a good fit. Hes too old of a catcher to sign long term, has missed his fair share of games in recent years, and would take a good chunk of money per year. I'm fine with a Lavarnway & Ross/Vazquez setup going forward until Swihart is ready (late 2015 - 2016).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PapelbonLester View Post
    Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players. Name 10 catchers better than Salty? He's a VERY good catcher. Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH. Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player. Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense. He's also a great clubhouse guy. I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around. YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT. Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.
    How the hell did we run Beltre out of town?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PapelbonLester View Post
    Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players.
    There is nothing great about Salty - unless that name on the back of the shirt wins you a bet.

Name 10 catchers better than Salty?
    With ease, not wasting my time now giving a list. But I looked up 2012 Salty vs AL catchers.

With the bat he was: .222/.288/.454 - lg average .243/.311/.399 - pretty average on the bat, not elite

On D, he was the worst AL catcher that played over 74 games. His CS% was a meager 18% (lg average 26).

He's a VERY good catcher.
    Prove it. He's mediocre since he's been in Boston.

Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH
    Last few years, yes.

Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player.
    Of all the positions, catcher is the one to get right defensively.

Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense.
    Not in the second half historically since it hasn't been there.

He's also a great clubhouse guy.
    Got proof?

I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around.
    That's not proof.

YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT.
    Lose the CAPS.

Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.
    Beltre was a very loved/liked player here. He left for a bigger contract - period. Nobody ran him off.

Sorry to hear you watch so much of the Sox, it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast