Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Penguins sign forward d'agostini to one-year contract

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427404

The Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday announced the signing of forward Matt D'Agostini to a one-year, $550,000 contract.

WOW. I think this is a steal of a signing.

vCash
    I like it as well. Adds depth to the team for very little money. Even if he should fail for whatever reason, it's not like we're going to be burdened with a big contract

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    I like it as well. Adds depth to the team for very little money. Even if he should fail for whatever reason, it's not like we're going to be burdened with a big contract
    Low risk, high reward.

And we got Chris Connor, MVP, back too. Mr. Motor Man himself. Scuderi, Connor, who next?! Hall Gill? Pretty sure he's available for a cup run.

vCash
    I like it.

vCash
    Best-case scenario? He returns to being a 20 goal, 25 assist player on the 3rd line with Sutter and Jokinen, and it actually gives the Pens a scoring line outside their top-2 lines.

Worst-case scenario? He is only a 5 goal, 10 assist player, and is demoted to the 13th forward.

Still, the worst-case scenario isn't even that bad. He's making league minimum. My guess for that 3rd line would be:

Jokinen: 20 goals, 30 assists
    Sutter: 20 goals, 15 assists
    D'Agostini: 15 goals, 20 assists

That's excellent for depth scoring. I'm thinking JJ will get more PP time and will rotate in on Malkin's line, so I think he will have substantially more points. My guesses for points in our top-9 for next year (assuming healthy):

Crosby: 50 goals, 75 assists
    Malkin: 45 goals, 65 assists
    Neal: 35 goals, 40 assists
    Kunitz: 25 goals, 40 assists
    Dupuis: 20 goals, 30 assists
    Bennett: 15 goals, 35 assists
    Jokinen: 20 goals, 30 assists
    Sutter: 20 goals, 15 assists
    D'Agostini: 15 goals, 20 assists

Getting around 245 goals from your top-9 is really good. Those numbers probably aren't that far off either.

PAUL MARTIN FOR TEAM USA?

vCash
    I love the signing

vCash
    This is a great move, and I really am surprised how cheap it was. Chris Conner on the other hand, really is awesome. I'm glad others notice too.

Also, if you think all fo those players are going to do it, although they're capable of scoring that much, you are bat-wing crazy. Capable, and all performing at their best are two different things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Also, if you think all fo those players are going to do it, although they're capable of scoring that much, you are bat-wing crazy. Capable, and all performing at their best are two different things.
    Not really. Kunitz has been around a 65 point player over an 82 game season in his career in Pittsburgh (67 points/82 games over last 3 years). Saying he would hit 65 in a full season with Crosby (hopefully) really isn't that crazy.

Neal has been pretty much on pace a 40 goal, 80 point scorer in his short time in Pittsburgh (not counting 10-11, when there was no Malkin or Crosby and he was just traded), so him still getting 35 goals and 75 points isn't that crazy.

50 points for Dupuis is actually less than what he has averaged over the last few years (28 G, 61 P has been his 82 game average over the last 2 years), so that one really isn't that crazy either. I think Dupuis has peaked already, so I don't think he will be scoring at a 30 goal pace anymore. Also, with more PK time with the loss of Cooke, he will get less ES time.

I don't think both of Bennett and Jokinen will be getting 50 points, I think it will be one or the other. I'm not sure which will play in the top-6, so I put the number in as both in the top-6. I'm thinking it will be 50 for Bennett and 40 for Jokinen (15 G, 25 A for 40 points or so).

20 goals and 35 points for Sutter is completely reasonable. I don't think I need to go into much more detail with that.

15 goals and 35 points for an offensive 3rd line winger really isn't that absurd either. Hell, Cooke has been a 15 G, 20 A player in the last 2 years in Pittsburgh. Someone will skill could easily match his numbers.

The only outrageous ones there are the Crosby and Malkin numbers, but Crosby was on pace for more this year, and Malkin has done 110 points in a season before. Also, Malkin comes back strong after a bad (to his standards) season. Of all of those, the only one that I don't think will make it is Crosby, because I'm not sure he can be healthy for an 82 game schedule.

PAUL MARTIN FOR TEAM USA?