Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    150
    vCash
    1500

    Raiders like what they see in Menelik Watson

    Until the Raiders see Menelik Watson against live opponents in full-speed exhibition games this summer, the team won’t be entirely sure what it has in the big Brit.

    Watson, the offensive tackle from Florida State, was the Raiders’ No. 2 pick in the April draft, but is a bit of a project. He’s extremely athletic, but has played football just three years, at Saddleback Community College in Southern California and Florida State.

    But Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie and head coach Dennis Allen like his size, strength, footwork and athletic ability and believe he could develop into a top offensive lineman.

    After all, he’s a former boxer and college basketball player.

    Through rookie minicamp, organized team activities (OTAs) and the mandatory, full-squad minicamp in June, Watson did well and could be projected to play at right tackle or right guard. Should he develop over the next couple of seasons, the Raiders could start reaping the rewards of investing in their offensive line in recent seasons, with top picks Jared Veldheer (third round, 2010), center Stefen Wisniewski (second round, 2011) and left guard Tony Bergstrom (third round, 2012) already established or establishing themselves.

    Allen believes the fact Watson's already learned so much in three years in the sport proves his ceiling is high.

    “Absolutely, I think one of the things you look at with a guy like that is you look at tremendous upside,” Allen told the media after Watson was drafted. “This guy’s got tremendous upside. Having him here and having one of the top O-line coaches in the National Football League in my opinion in Tony Sparano, I have no doubt that this guy’s going to develop into a solid NFL player.”

    Allen said the Raiders liked him from the start because of his athletic ability.

    “He’s got excellent feet and he’s got a great punch,” he said.

    After minicamp in June, Watson told the Daily Mail newspaper in England that it’s been an intense learning process since joining the Raiders.

    “You have to have the right techniques to go down with the assignments and try to be assignment-perfect. Work on things that are going to be important going into training camp,” said Watson.

    Watson says veteran tackles Veldheer and Khalif Barnes have been extremely helpful with him on the field and in the film room.

    “I’m picking it up really fast but obviously I’m always learning, so they’re giving me little hints, or on certain plays: ‘You need to change it up a little bit,’ as everyone at this level is real fast,” Watson told the Daily Mail.

    Watson told the paper he’s not worried at this point where he is on the offensive line. Can he beat out Barnes at right tackle? Will he move to right guard? He’ll let other people worry about those scenarios.

    “Right now my expectations are just learn the playbook, be assignment-perfect and be ready when my name’s called,” he said. “I’m not focusing on the depth chart and all that stuff. My goal is just to be ready.”
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sport...214605911.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    3,739
    vCash
    1500
    Watson will work out well. Very athletic and is coming into shape.

    Our line will look like Veldeer/Berg/Wiz/Brisiel(or Nix)/Watson
    Besides Brisiel they are a fairly young group and will help lead our offense for years to come.
    Raiders Keith McGill

    PSD Mock Draft Raiders GM
    1st Anothony Barr OLB UCLA
    2nd Dominique Easley DT University of Florida
    3rd Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    4th Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
    4th Jordan Zumwalt ILB/OLB UCLA
    5th Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
    5th Richard Rodgers, TE, California
    5th Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
    6th Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska
    7th Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
    7th Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    147
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Watson will work out well. Very athletic and is coming into shape.

    Our line will look like Veldeer/Berg/Wiz/Brisiel(or Nix)/Watson
    Besides Brisiel they are a fairly young group and will help lead our offense for years to come.
    I think if Watson becomes the starter at RT, then Barnes may have a shot at RG and there would be no complaints from me after seeing Brisiel screw up way too many times last season in a system he was supposed to be most familiar with. I would let Barnes start and let Nix get some reps here and there, and then Nix be the starter next year to form a solid line (assuming Berg works out too)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,453
    vCash
    1500
    Yep, he will start at RT, IMO.

    He'll be fine.

    We're going to have many players that will be perceived as part of the building blocks for 2014. And he is one of them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,819
    vCash
    1500
    The thing I like is we have hungry youthful players wanting to play here. Not a bunch of disgruntled over the hill vets looking solely for a payday. Watson has the intangibles, and I think TC can get the most out of him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,896
    vCash
    1500
    And to think....we may have solved the RT and CB problem with the #3 pick and people are pissed.


    Granted, it remains to be seen, but if either of those two turn out to be franchise players that trade was worth it. I have a feeling this kid will be very successful, and i find it interesting the article suggests Berg is establishing himself. The reality is, picks that late take a while to develop. If Berg and Watson both step up this year under Sparano, watch out...

    I predicted halfway through the season this OL will gel under TS and we will see a major turn in this team. I truly think we will look terrible the first half of the season (while the Nancy's all call for DA and RM's head) and make a serious push as a surprise team in the second half. Our OL is better then people think, and with Watson, they may be great.

    No matter how you slice it, when your RB has time and holes, they look like Pro Bowlers. When your QB isn't on his rear, he can still put up 4k yards off the couch. We finally invested in the OL, and will see the benefits. Next up, DL.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Garden of Eden...New Jersey
    Posts
    9,710
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    And to think....we may have solved the RT and CB problem with the #3 pick and people are pissed.


    Granted, it remains to be seen, but if either of those two turn out to be franchise players that trade was worth it. I have a feeling this kid will be very successful, and i find it interesting the article suggests Berg is establishing himself. The reality is, picks that late take a while to develop. If Berg and Watson both step up this year under Sparano, watch out...

    I predicted halfway through the season this OL will gel under TS and we will see a major turn in this team. I truly think we will look terrible the first half of the season (while the Nancy's all call for DA and RM's head) and make a serious push as a surprise team in the second half. Our OL is better then people think, and with Watson, they may be great.

    No matter how you slice it, when your RB has time and holes, they look like Pro Bowlers. When your QB isn't on his rear, he can still put up 4k yards off the couch. We finally invested in the OL, and will see the benefits. Next up, DL.
    Only if the running back in question has the vision neccessary to see the holes.

    But yeah, I agree wholeheartedly.

    -Stork

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,715
    vCash
    1500
    I love this line we are developing. They are young and hopefully will be together for years. Watson is a quick learner with incredible physical prowess for a big man and he is hungry. I await the preseason with increasing excitement.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,089
    vCash
    1500
    I hope he pans out, would love to have a solid RT for years to come

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rogue River, OR
    Posts
    2,140
    vCash
    1500
    If Berg takes at LG, I can see a lot of runs going to that side.

    I like that we are talking about Watson's footwork, his punch and his itellegence!! Not his combine workout. With B. Cambell, it was, he was as big as a dumptruck, strong as a tractor, but would come in third on an IQ test between the 3.

    Reggie's Rebuild!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    419
    vCash
    1500
    Our OLine should be in the top 15 this year, they are going to surprise a lot of people.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    542
    vCash
    1500
    When someone asks if I am excited about the coming season, this is one of the reasons I say "yes". Developing a young, talented o-line will represent a cornerstone in the Raider's return to prominence. It feels like we're turning the corner, I'm excited to see if that's the case.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    1500
    I would like to see Barnes get pushed out of the starting line up by someone who can remember the snap count.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,386
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    I love this line we are developing. They are young and hopefully will be together for years. Watson is a quick learner with incredible physical prowess for a big man and he is hungry. I await the preseason with increasing excitement.
    It all depends on how quickly Sporano can get the line up to speed.

    It's pretty clear, in hindsight, that the switch to a zone-blocking system was a disaster. Beyond costing the Raiders an entire season of running the football, I fear that it might have a lingering effect on the linemen in 2013.

    We may all look back at the 2012 season as a 'waste' - Dennis Allen should have promoted Al Saunders to OC/Play-caller, kept Wylie as the offensive line coach and rolled with the Kiffin/Cable/Jackson/Saunders offense that the team had been running since 2007.

    Unless Greg Olsen is about to step forward as he's never stepped forward before as an offensive coordinator, I have serious doubts about the 2013 offense...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,715
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyCrow View Post
    I would like to see Barnes get pushed out of the starting line up by someone who can remember the snap count.
    Barnes didn't have very many penalties at all last season, but he only started 9 games due to injury. Just saying. I would be happy if Watson beats him out for the RT position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •