Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

BlueShirtBanter: Glen Sather Has Worked Some Magic This Summer

Glen Sather deserves credit for what he's done this offseason.

By Joe Fortunato on Jul 9 2013

It's a strange offseason when Glen Sather and the New York Rangers are the team keeping things quiet, not spending freely and focusing on bolstering the internal parts of their machine rather than looking for help elsewhere. That's not a dig at the Rangers, mind you, but in this day and age teams with bigger wallets generally flex their financial muscles in early July.

Anyone who follows the Rangers regularly knew that wasn't going to be happening this year. When Sather and company made the decision not to buy out Brad Richards a few weeks ago the Rangers pretty much forfeited any hope they had to be real players during this year's free agency period. That might have been a driving point in the decision, actually.

Let's be real here, the crop of player's in this year's class aren't exactly the best of the best. This is one of the weakest free agency pools in recent memory, highlighted by some teams overpaying (by a lot) for massive mistakes.So Sather looked at the hand he was dealt and made a decision: He would keep Richards (who, if bought out, would have vaulted up to the top of this year's free agency list) and kept the money he could spend on his RFAs low and on potential UFAs even lower.

On Monday he used up some of that precious cap space to ink Ryan McDonagh to a six-year $28.2-million masterstroke of a contract. The Rangers have not only bought out three of McDonagh's UFA seasons but also keep him at a very manageable $4.7-million cap hit for six years. In addition to the numbers being very favorable for the team, Sather also got the job done quickly and without any bad blood. McDonagh was too important for Sather to take his tough line with. Team policies are meant to be broken for players of McDonagh's quality. It's a good problem to have if you have the cap space.

Now Sather needs to focus on Derek Stepan, then Carl Hagelin and Mats Zuccarello. The Rangers have roughly $7.3-million for those three players without any moves. Sather has worked his magic already on McDonagh, but there's more work to be done right now. The Stepan contract (and potentially the negotiations) are going to be very interesting to see. Will Stepan get a bridge deal or will Sather elect to try and lock him up long term as well.

And what about Hagelin and Zuccarello? Hagelin is absolutely in the Rangers' future plans. I would think Zuccarello is, too, but depending on how much Stepan gets it might put him in jeopardy without another move coming.

Still, Sather needs to be applauded here. Not only did he keep a player he knew he wouldn't be able to replace on the free agent market (yes there are risks to keeping Richards, but it was the right move for this year) but he also didn't do anything more than make some no-risk, medium-reward signings. Oh yeah, he also locked up the Rangers biggest RFA in recent memory. Now the focus turns to Stepan.

He's pretty important, too.
    http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2013/...ic-this-summer

vCash
    Danny Kristo will turn out to be a steal, the same way Mac was from Montreal. I'm not saying Kristo will be as good as Mac has turned out to be, but he's coming into a locker room with Stepan and Kreider who he was line mates with for Team USA when they won the WJC a few years back. This kid has tremendous talent and is NHL ready. He is a bit of a party animal which is why Montreal wasn't shy to move him, but coming here, I think he will put that aside since he is familiar with Step and Kreids.

vCash

Is this an onion article?
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash

BlueShirtBanter: Glen Sather Has Worked Some Magic This Summer

Glen goes by joe fortunato in the summer months. Didn't you know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post

I rather not applaud the man for not cutting the guy he signed to a bad deal in the first place

vCash
    Objectively I saw keeping Brad as a big risk. I might have been tempted to use that 6-7 mill in cap space on a FA or a trade. I think most people like the Kristo deal. We signed McD to a good fair deal. People have some hope for our 3rd round picks. Overall based on what Slats had to look at I think he had a solid summer but not magical.

vCash
    FWIW I like the Kristo trade and I like the Duclair pick but no magic has been worked. Signing RFAs and not buying out Richards is something that every GM is capable of doing. The Rangers are basically the same team as last year while some other teams in the east have gotten better.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    kristo could end up paying huge dividends just like the mac deal did

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    FWIW I like the Kristo trade and I like the Duclair pick but no magic has been worked. Signing RFAs and not buying out Richards is something that every GM is capable of doing. The Rangers are basically the same team as last year while some other teams in the east have gotten better.
    How can you say we are basically the same team a last year? We now have Brassard,Kreider,Dorsett,Moore, & maybe Zook for a full season also we have acquired Pouliot, Johnson, Moore, & Falk and a new coaching staff. That's 9 Players for a full season we did not have last year playing 82 games not 0-23. That's not including any trades Slats is working out, and there will be one or two, No more line juggling, more wide open game offensively less of a collapsing defense. I think we see a complete turnaround for this team. Lets not forget the youngsters that are going to impress at training camp one or two which can make the team. We are in for a good year make no mistake about it.

vCash
    i think kristo and lindberg make the team out of camp, fast also has a chance because the kid can fly and can score

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead54 View Post
    How can you say we are basically the same team a last year? We now have Brassard,Kreider,Dorsett,Moore, & maybe Zook for a full season also we have acquired Pouliot, Johnson, Moore, & Falk and a new coaching staff. That's 9 Players for a full season we did not have last year playing 82 games not 0-23. That's not including any trades Slats is working out, and there will be one or two, No more line juggling, more wide open game offensively less of a collapsing defense. I think we see a complete turnaround for this team. Lets not forget the youngsters that are going to impress at training camp one or two which can make the team. We are in for a good year make no mistake about it.
    Because Brassard, Kreider, Dorsett, Moore, and MZA were all on the playoff roster last year. Sather didn't make that trade in the offseason. Adding Pouliot and Moore isn't exactly "magical'. Johnson and Falk are depth players and Falk might not even be re-signed. We'll see what AV brings. I think he's a solid coach but I'm not sold on him being an upgrade. He's 1-8 in his last 9 postseason games and his track record with young players isn't as good as Tortorella's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Magic was definitely a questionable word. I would have bought Brad out but Slats and the team realized the FA pickings were slim so they rolled the dice for a year. I think we got a good fair deal with McD so I give Slats credit for that good deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Objectively I saw keeping Brad as a big risk. I might have been tempted to use that 6-7 mill in cap space on a FA or a trade. I think most people like the Kristo deal. We signed McD to a good fair deal. People have some hope for our 3rd round picks. Overall based on what Slats had to look at I think he had a solid summer but not magical.
    I don't intend to open up a closed door, so to speak, but Sather's summer began with the firing/replacement of Tortorella. Until proven otherwise, I will remain of the view that it was Tortorella who was fully prepared to make a run for the Cup this past season, and not the players; and replacing him with a less successful coach that has a team not constructed for his style of play may compromise the club's ability to reach the cup for the next two seasons.

So, the jury is still out on whether Sather has had a good summer.

vCash
    I still think Richards will have a good year but no matter how it goes I doubt he'll be back next year. If he plays exceptionally well he'll be good trade bait at the deadline and if he doesn't get traded they'll keep him for a cup run then buy him out. This year is basically so they can see if they can get some value out of him, either in the form of a stanley cup or a trade. I like the Kristo deal but the kid has some baggage so it's not like we got another McDonagh who is a pure professional and the jury is still out on whether Kristo is the real deal, there was never any question in my mind with McDonagh. With the cap restrictions we had Sather has done well so far but I'm still waiting to see where the negotiations with the remaining 3 RFA's go.

vCash
    I hope Brad has a great year not only for us but for himself. He seems like a good guy. Sometimes the pro sports business can be a little cruel (cap, trades). If we could trade him as a deadline rental for some picks or prospects that will help the franchise in the future or possibly for another offseason trade for a top line player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast