Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Lavarnway

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,796
    vCash
    1500

    Lavarnway

    Well, last year we could all see that Lavarnway was totally screwed up at the plate. I ascribed it to be being weighed down with a lot of coaching on the D side, and maybe too much self pressure on the O.

    Now, in a quiet manner, his D is solid (a bit weak on the far edge of what can be hoped for catching pops, and a bit much on the PB (AAA stats this year), but he seems more relaxed at the plate, taking walks, going opo when he should, seems to be going for contact more than power. Even if he turns out to be a lower SLG hitter than Salty (say -.025), if he is a +.025 better OBP hitter, he'll clearly be a better hitter than Salty. At this point he already seems to be better defensive catcher than Salty - pretty good since Salty has 820 career games at catcher as a pro and Salty has 348.

    The rest of the year will probably keep going as it is. Salty getting most of the games. Maybe Salty getting a few more games off - day games after day game type thing to keep him fresh.

    I think Lavarnway/Ross next year would be a good tandem as Salty gets his one "big" sized contract. I would not trade Salty now unless we go through a 8-22 stretch and fall out.

    Anyone else?


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,639
    vCash
    1500
    I pretty much agree with your assessment, Bags. I wouldn't mind seeing Farrell try to get Lavarnway a little more playing time and more days off for Salty to try to keep him fresher. Maybe something on the order of a 3/2 Salty/Lav split...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,509
    vCash
    4451
    It was nice seeing a runner get thrown out for once, that's for sure.
    Perfection.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    15,007
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Now, in a quiet manner, his D is solid (a bit weak on the far edge of what can be hoped for catching pops, and a bit much on the PB (AAA stats this year), but he seems more relaxed at the plate, taking walks, going opo when he should, seems to be going for contact more than power. Even if he turns out to be a lower SLG hitter than Salty (say -.025), if he is a +.025 better OBP hitter, he'll clearly be a better hitter than Salty. At this point he already seems to be better defensive catcher than Salty - pretty good since Salty has 820 career games at catcher as a pro and Salty has 348.
    My assumption is that Lavarnway got a bunch of starts with Wright which pushed the PB count up. If my assumption is correct, I'll give him a bunch of mulligans. I doubt Wright makes any reasonable contribution in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The rest of the year will probably keep going as it is. Salty getting most of the games. Maybe Salty getting a few more games off - day games after day game type thing to keep him fresh.

    I think Lavarnway/Ross next year would be a good tandem as Salty gets his one "big" sized contract. I would not trade Salty now unless we go through a 8-22 stretch and fall out.

    Anyone else?
    Agree. I'm more frustrated by Farrell's insistence on staying with Salty for 80% of the workload than anything else in this mix. The more we see Lavarnway work quality starts out of the SPs (with a strike-him-out-throw-him-out DP!) the more confident I am about letting Salty walk. He's been good but tracking so closely to his last two years (in terms of run up, peak, and strikeout laden decline) that I assume he'll be back down to his typical .240/.290 line soon enough.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,818
    vCash
    1500
    I concur

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    35,203
    vCash
    1500
    I haven't exactly turned my head to watch his at bats, but most of the at bats I've seen from him have looked 'Iglesian'. A couple bloop doubles and some seeing eye grounders, his high babip reflects that. He hasn't walked a lot, his 3.4 BB% is lowest on the team. It's a very small number of ab's, and the bar is very low for catchers, but what I've seen hasn't gotten me excited about his offense. Hes been fine behind the plate, no reason not to give him decent playing time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I haven't exactly turned my head to watch his at bats, but most of the at bats I've seen from him have looked 'Iglesian'. A couple bloop doubles and some seeing eye grounders, his high babip reflects that. He hasn't walked a lot, his 3.4 BB% is lowest on the team. It's a very small number of ab's, and the bar is very low for catchers, but what I've seen hasn't gotten me excited about his offense. Hes been fine behind the plate, no reason not to give him decent playing time.
    Lavarnway's BB% in AAA is 11.9%, in the Majors 6.7% - ahead of where Salty was at the same number of PA's.

    BTW, if Lavarnway draws a BB in his next PA, his BB% doubles for the year - sample size as you mentioned.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 07-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •