Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Are we switching to a 3-4?

After drafting McClellin, Greene, Bostic and Washington all on the heels of refusing to give a long term contract to Henry Melton, it is becoming increasingly clear that we are considering a 3-4 defense with Paea at the nose tackle. I expect us to move Henry and maybe look for our DEs next year similar to how we did with the LBs this year. (2 free agents and 2 rookies).
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by tduncanspeaks; 07-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    BEARS BULLS BEARS BULLS BEARS BULLS

vCash
    Greene and bostic are 4-3 lbers Washington is a better fit at 4-3 de we just hired a coach who runs a 4-3 and I have no idea who Henry Melvin is

vCash
    Melvin could snag a nice pick...

vCash
    Voice text misspelling "Melton"
    Both Greene and Bostic are expected to be versatile enough to play inside in a 3-4.
    Washington and Shae are better pass rushers than they fair in coverage right now but that is fixable
    Last edited by tduncanspeaks; 07-08-2013 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tduncanspeaks View Post
    Voice text misspelling "Melton"
    Both Greene and Bostic are expected to be versatile enough to play inside in a 3-4.
    Washington and Shae are better pass rushers than they fair in coverage right now but that is fixable
    I would argue that Shea is better in coverage than in the pass rush. Not to mention Melton could still beast at 3-4 de

vCash
    Short answer: No

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hopefully this alleviates any confusion.
    Cutlerized

vCash
    Melvin would be good in a 3-4 or 4-3, but i dont see it. If we fire mel tucker next year and get a guy who is know for the 3-4 then maybe. but i still dont see it and that's to far down the road so im ganna focus on this years team

vCash
    I was going to not drink at the airport this morning.

This thread made me change my mind.

vCash
    Not this anyway, hopefully never
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Not sure where you got that we refused to give Melvin a long term contract. If we didnt want melvin, why would we tendor him and give him that much money? I would guess we drafted greene and Bostic becuase we lost urlacher and Roach and lacking depth. McClellin is pretty decent in coverage and about mediorcre at rushing the qb and rb containment. Paea has some potential but hasnt really done much at all. I will agree that we need to draft some DEs Peppers is in the twilight of his career and the rest of our defensive ends havent proved themselves yet. Wootens almost there. in short 3-4 will be ran on a handfull of plays but will not be our defensive model.

Quote Originally Posted by tduncanspeaks View Post
    After drafting McClellin, Greene, Bostic and Washington all on the heels of refusing to give a long term contract to Henry Melton, it is becoming increasingly clear that we are considering a 3-4 defense with Paea at the nose tackle. I expect us to move Henry and maybe look for our DEs next year similar to how we did with the LBs this year. (2 free agents and 2 rookies).
    Thoughts?

vCash
    Mel Tucker is a 3-4 guy as well as 4-3 cover two. Henry was given the FT so that we could have 1 more year with this topend defense. I am not a 3-4 fan for our team and hope that it wont happen but
    It sure looks strange
    Last edited by tduncanspeaks; 07-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    Eh, 3-4, 4-3... I wanna win my damn Fantasy league this year!
    You may think you know but you're horribly blind...

vCash
    We're definitely not switching to a 3-4 this season. Beyond that, I really can't say for sure.

I don't think we will, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate anyway. Even if we switched to a 3-4, I'm pretty sure Melton would be a solid DE (it's essentially the position he's playing now: pass rush from an interior position).

And for all those saying it doesn't make sense b/c Shea is better in pass coverage, he would play more pass coverage as a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. Wootton would be our run stopper/pass rusher LOLB and Shea would be our pass coverage/pass rusher ROLB. Greene and Bostic can both play MLB in a 3-4 (not to mention Williams Anderson, and Briggs). And we could probably trade Briggs for a low pick, if we decide it's time to move on. Then we would only need another DE or NT since Paea would probably play either DE or NT.

And in the nickle our D could look like either ?/Paea/Melton/Wootton with Greene or Anderson/Bostic or Williams/Shea or Anderson as LBs OR Shea/Paea/Melton/Wootton with Greene/Bostic or Williams /Anderson or one of a million other combinations

Could be a smooth transition in a relatively short period of time

vCash
    1-1-9 Hybrid

vCash
    No. Just too stupid to draft players that fit their actual scheme
    [QUOTE=det32;28757687]assuming you where going to say something about me being "harsh" or "hatting" on Wilson.. i hate to brake it to you but he is a "borderline starter" at best.. my 20th- 25th QB.. that's not hating that's just being real.. /QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast