Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2013 tryouts for 2014

With the clear and obvious struggles of Ike this season, and what seems like there might be more in house options at first than we think, I believe that Terry should treat the rest of the 2013 season as tryouts for the starting job at first in 2014. Not that Ike doesn't deserve one last shot to be the every day 1st baseman, but I think Josh Satin AND Zach Lutz both deserve a look at possible future roles as our 1st baseman.

To accompany this, I think that any successful future that the mets may have does not include Lucas Duda in the outfield. Add in Wilmer Flores to that equation and I think that the rest of 2013 should be treated as tryouts for the 2014 1st baseman starting role. Terry needs to look aside at what Ike has done in the past(both his 2012 second half and his 2013 first half), but he also needs to objectively examine Satin, Duda and Lutz as possible starter, or role players. Whoever shows the best ability should be given the job.

vCash
    Not enough starts to go around to try out 5 different guys there.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Ike is the only possible long term starter (of the guys in house) and he's looked much better the last 2 games against RHP. Satin is playing the best right now and i am sure he will find more ABs somewhere if its not 1st base (although i am still not a hundred percent sold on him being anything but a platoon bat or the other alternative being an everyday 2nd baseman).

Lutz is presumably a bench player at best and Flores is the 1st baseman under the worst case scenario because he doesn't have the power to play the position.

The Mets don't really have a prototype at 1st besides Ike.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Ike is the 30 home run power guy they want and need at 1st base, he should get the bulk of the time there the rest of the season to see if he can bounce back. None of the other guys has that talent regardless of how they done in their 2 weeks here.

vCash
    I really want Satin to get a start at 2B. His bat would profile so great there, he would be like Matt Carpenter without the defense.

vCash
    There is no way you take Ike away from first base. Leave him in there the rest of the way. We have seen what he can do and there is no reason to believe he will never do it again. If he struggles the rest of the way...well..then we know he probably isn't our future. Satin deserves playing time but he will not get it at first base, unless he plays against lefties. Lutz is not an option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Ike is the 30 home run power guy they want and need at 1st base, he should get the bulk of the time there the rest of the season to see if he can bounce back. None of the other guys has that talent regardless of how they done in their 2 weeks here.
    I don't know where you got your info, but Satin has some talent so he should have an opportunity to be our 1B. Yes, we know he has been ripping the cover of the ball in a very small sample size, but he has hit in every level of the system. Just because he isn't the "sexy" option doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. He also has made some impressive defensive plays. Too many people write off a player just because he doesn;t have the hype. He has excellent plate recognition, has an idea of what he wants/needs to do at the plate, and plays hard. Don't write him off, give him a chance. Someone who has hit over .300 in every year of his minor league career deserves a chance, and so far he has made the best of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    I don't know where you got your info, but Satin has some talent so he should have an opportunity to be our 1B. Yes, we know he has been ripping the cover of the ball in a very small sample size, but he has hit in every level of the system. Just because he isn't the "sexy" option doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. He also has made some impressive defensive plays. Too many people write off a player just because he doesn;t have the hype. He has excellent plate recognition, has an idea of what he wants/needs to do at the plate, and plays hard. Don't write him off, give him a chance. Someone who has hit over .300 in every year of his minor league career deserves a chance, and so far he has made the best of it.
    Is Satin a 30 homer type guy?

Satin has hit, but he does not give you the power numbers you want from an everyday 1st baseman and reality is that teams want power production from 1st base and given another fact that this FO values homers as much as they do will want that from 1st base. Ike is the one guy that can give you that and perhaps Duda, but nobody else.

...and honestly am not impressed by him hitting at every level of the system, he was always older than the average player there going back to Brooklyn and Kingsport when he was 23. This guy is not some young guy, he will be 29 this year, take what he is doing right now and consider your self lucky that you perhaps found a RHB off the bench that can give Ike his days off vs tough lefties. This was a guy that probably was considered an organizational player and has found himself in the majors and is doing well and I applaud him for that.

vCash
    Is Satin a 30 homer type guy?

Satin has hit, but he does not give you the power numbers you want from an everyday 1st baseman and reality is that teams want power production from 1st base and given another fact that this FO values homers as much as they do will want that from 1st base. Ike is the one guy that can give you that and perhaps Duda, but nobody else.

...and honestly am not impressed by him hitting at every level of the system, he was always older than the average player there going back to Brooklyn and Kingsport when he was 23. This guy is not some young guy, he will be 29 this year, take what he is doing right now and consider your self lucky that you perhaps found a RHB off the bench that can give Ike his days off vs tough lefties. This was a guy that probably was considered an organizational player and has found himself in the majors and is doing well and I applaud him for that.
    Since baseball players have longer careers he still had a good 7-8 good years left in him which is plenty. And he might not hit a ton of homers, but he does hit a TON of doubles with a 1.085 OPS I think his homers will come. Alot of the doubles I have seen him hit are just shy of a homer he has some power. He has some double digit home run totals in his minor league career, yes I know it is the minors but he has shown some pop. I guess my point is would you rather have an extremely inconsistent 1B who strikes out, and doesn't come through in big situations but hits a decent amount of homers, or a guy who only hits maybe 10 homers, but has consistently come up big in clutch situations and dumps a ton of doubles? Idk I think Satin has earned a shot to audition there.

vCash
    Ike is going to play whether we like it or not.

I don't see how Murphy has earned his job other than his $3M salary. Satin should be taking playing time away from him. Even if he sucks defensively, his on-base skills and bat should make up for it easily.

Murphy hasn't done anything special since the beginning of last year, and even his 2011 was completely BA-inflated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    Since baseball players have longer careers he still had a good 7-8 good years left in him which is plenty. And he might not hit a ton of homers, but he does hit a TON of doubles with a 1.085 OPS I think his homers will come. Alot of the doubles I have seen him hit are just shy of a homer he has some power. He has some double digit home run totals in his minor league career, yes I know it is the minors but he has shown some pop. I guess my point is would you rather have an extremely inconsistent 1B who strikes out, and doesn't come through in big situations but hits a decent amount of homers, or a guy who only hits maybe 10 homers, but has consistently come up big in clutch situations and dumps a ton of doubles? Idk I think Satin has earned a shot to audition there.
    One, in this new post steroid/greenies era ball players no longer have as long a shelf life as they did in the last 2 decades, usually mid 30's is where you start to see significant regression on most cases.

...and to say that Satin will be consistent based on less than 60 PA is once again putting the horse behind the carriage. Satin has not gone through the adjustment period that all players will have to go through once teams find how to get them out. You seen this with guys like Valdespin, Nieuwenhuis, Duda and countless others what makes you think Satin will not fall victim to those same things?

I know what type of production Ike can give you at the very minimum based on his 1500 PA and give the fact that he is 2 and a half years younger than Satin I rather take my chances with Davis as a long term solution than with Satin.

I am more than fine if you want to use Satin as the RHB that gives Ike his days off vs tough lefties though.

vCash
    One, in this new post steroid/greenies era ball players no longer have as long a shelf life as they did in the last 2 decades, usually mid 30's is where you start to see significant regression on most cases.

...and to say that Satin will be consistent based on less than 60 PA is once again putting the horse behind the carriage. Satin has not gone through the adjustment period that all players will have to go through once teams find how to get them out. You seen this with guys like Valdespin, Nieuwenhuis, Duda and countless others what makes you think Satin will not fall victim to those same things?

I know what type of production Ike can give you at the very minimum based on his 1500 PA and give the fact that he is 2 and a half years younger than Satin I rather take my chances with Davis as a long term solution than with Satin.

I am more than fine if you want to use Satin as the RHB that gives Ike his days off vs tough lefties though.
    Plate discipline and consistency. I really want to see Satin get 500 PA somewhere in the big leagues just to see what his numbers would look like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Plate discipline and consistency. I really want to see Satin get 500 PA somewhere in the big leagues just to see what his numbers would look like.

SSS monster strikes again as far as I am concern. We can have this discussion again at the end of the year when he has some 150-200 PA.

vCash
    SSS monster strikes again as far as I am concern. We can have this discussion again at the end of the year when he has some 150-200 PA.
    He's had 66 PA so far and has done beyond excellent. .382/.485/.600 good for a .465 wOBA and 205 wRC+. He has a high BABIP that will come down some, but I expect him to be well above league average there because all he does is barrel baseballs. He just knows how to get on base and hit doubles. He has 9 already.

Since he is proving himself with the bat, I want to see him get time at his natural position, 2B. Though he isn't very good there due to range, his bat could play fantastic there.

vCash
    Satin seems like he may be a little too slow for 2B.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast