Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Andy Pettitte Discussion

I'm going to continue this discussion from the IGT. How do you feel about Andy's performance this season and do you want him to comeback next season or do you want him to hang it up? Do you think he will do the opposite of what you want?

Some of you may be surprised that his peripherals are not really that off this season in comparison to his career averages.

Career: 6.68 K/9, 2.82 BB/9, 0.78 HR/9, 3.74 FIP

2013: 6.80 K/9, 2.53 BB/9, 0.87 HR/9, 3.76 FIP

His FB velocity has been pretty consistent for the past few years with no substantial drop this season. Nothing really sticks out as to show a huge decline. Andy might not being pitching like he did at his peak but the Andy we have now is not really that different than the Andy we have had in some previews seasons.

The only difference is that Andy is no longer that horse that pitched 200+ innings 10 times in his career. He missed substantial time in 2010 and then retired. In his return season he had a freak injury that puts him on the DL. This season he has nagging injuries that have sidelined him.

Personally I would like to see Andy in the rotation next season if he can stay healthy for the reminder of this season. However I think he won't return with Mo retiring, Jeter getting on in years, and being a 42 year old SP is not going to get easier.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    I love Andy but I would rather let some of the young pitchers get a chance to start making their move into the rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I love Andy but I would rather let some of the young pitchers get a chance to start making their move into the rotation.
    My sentiments exactly!

vCash
    Definitely. I think you have to be out of your mind to want Andy back. He has pitched very poorly this year. If not for the injuries to Nuno and Phelps we would have more pitching depth to step up right now. Pineda is making his final start of rehab but will probably be put in the minors.

Pettitte has really been slacking. I think a better question is do you want to see Pettitte in the starting rotation next week rather than next year. He'll get 1 more start before the ASB. He really needs to show some improvement because it's getting sad to see.

No way the Yankees can pay to bring him back. Kuroda is a guy to bring back.

CC
    Kuroda
    Nova
    Pineda
    Phelps/Nuno

vCash
    I can't see Pettite coming back next year, for him, it is Yankees or retirement I'm sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Definitely. I think you have to be out of your mind to want Andy back. He has pitched very poorly this year. If not for the injuries to Nuno and Phelps we would have more pitching depth to step up right now. Pineda is making his final start of rehab but will probably be put in the minors.

Pettitte has really been slacking. I think a better question is do you want to see Pettitte in the starting rotation next week rather than next year. He'll get 1 more start before the ASB. He really needs to show some improvement because it's getting sad to see.

No way the Yankees can pay to bring him back. Kuroda is a guy to bring back.

CC
    Kuroda
    Nova
    Pineda
    Phelps/Nuno
    Hmmmm, looks like someone just venting just to vent... Something well thought out might be useful... Slacking? I find the ones who point out slackers, are in fact the biggest slackers known to man...I guess we know where you fall in that...

Still, you have 2 schools of thought here.. 1., Is Andy still getting the job done? Yes Andy never was a swing and miss pitcher. He was always the type of pitcher that would try to get you to hit his pitch, and in doing so... it would not be a really good hit at that...So bringing him back is a real possiblity.. BUT

and 2. that $189 million ceiling next season. Forget ability with this, this money has to come from somewhere.. where better than expiring contracts.. Andy Pettitte, Hiroki Kuroda, Derek Jeter (though with an option for only $8, that is still quite a bit less), and can't forget. Mariano Rivera... Those guys all make a big pile on money, and they are on the wrong side of 35 and clearly in decline (Well, not Mo.. He could probably stay on for another 10 years and still be killing lefties with that cutter.)

I think more than anything, the Yanks will look at the older guys who will be UFA at the end of the season and start to cut there.. Here is a list that I have so far:
    Current Salary: 228106125
    Desired Salary: >189000000
    AJ Burnett: 8500000
    Wells: 9100000
    Derek Jeter: 17000000 (or 9000000 if he exercises his option.. for now, will assume no)
    Kuroda: 15000000
    Pettitte: 12000000
    Youkilis: 12000000
    Rivera: 10000000
    Hughes: 7150000
    Hafner: 2000000
    Overbay: 1250000
    Cano: 15000000
    Granderson: 13000000

These monies/contracts all expire at the end of the year... that means the Yanks are set to have 122000000 come off their payroll at the end of this season, just by letting the guys walk at the end of the year (and assuming that DJ does as well.) That will leave them with ~$82.8 mil to spend going forward... do you really want them to spend that on guys who are not only on the wrong side of 35, but the wrong side of 40? I expect that they will try to resign Robbie, and Grandy... and maybe Hughes... but the rest? Old guys who need to think about their exit from the game sooner rather than later. (well, except for the Burnett and Wells monies.. those just fall off)

The Yanks need to look younger. With PED's being gone, you don't see a long list of UFA guys who can step in and just allow a team such as the Yanks to simply... reload... They may have to back up a bit to move forward in the long run.

Of course when you look at that list, Jeter, Grandy, Youkilis have not had barely any input into this season anyway. So losing them will probably not make anybody cry... Grandy could help going forward... Mo I am sure that everyone who likes the yanks would love to have him back for another.. but does not sound like that will happen... Robbie if the price is in this reality (like in the neighborhood of Tulo in contract #'s) I know most of the posters here would be dancing if Hughes walked... still... I would not miss very many off this list and that would make the needed savings... all by itself..

So I expect that Andy will probably not be resigned... let the #'s force the yanks to do what they need to...

vCash
    Venting just to vent? No, I just said a lot more in my post than you did in your useless ramble.

1) Andy has been pitching poorly. Fact for anyone that watches the games, don't worry I don't mean you.
    2) Who would want him back? There are so many reasons to not want him back. Why would you want him back?? Emotional move? Please, get real.
    3) Yankees will not pay to bring him back and allow him to get in the way of our young arms.

Get a clue, hater.

vCash

Smile Andy

I do agree with you whole heartedly YANKEE CLIPPER,it is time, time for the youngsters to preform/

vCash
    i'll always be happy to have andy back, mostly because of his playoff track record
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals