Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How are you liking the makeup of the team, so far?

So our offseason seems to be about half done by this point, maybe even a bit more actually. Right now the roster to me looks like,

Raymond Felton - Pablo Prigioni
    Iman Shumpert - JR Smith
    Carmelo Anthony - Tim Hardaway Jr.
    Andrea Bargnani - Amare Stoudemire
    Tyson Chandler - Andrea Bargnani

We still have $1.7M of the MMLE to spend, and I think at this point that obviously needs to go to a big man. I would like Elton Brand but really can't be so picky when you have such little to work with. Also have some options like C.J. Leslie that may get a roster spot but I'm not expecting someone like that to contribute much either way this season.

Seems like we got a pretty good mix, and the addition of Bargnani and hopefully a healthier Stoudemire should help fix our scoring woes a lot. I may be in the minority but I actually like the Bargnani move. He has his obvious weaknesses, but he has some good strengths as well and playing as the 2nd/3rd option I imagine he will be whenever he's on the court I think that can do wonders for him. He's had some great stretches of offensive basketball having to be the man, a smaller role that fits his ability much better may just lead to him finally finding his place in this league.

That being said, not loving the current situation in terms of him being the backup C. It seems to look like that right now, at least. At 7'0 and 260 LBS he's certainly got the body to do it, but he needs a lot of work on D and the boards to play that role. Woodson will have his hands full, but judging from his good ability to improve players he may just get some nice things out of Bargs.

As for Amare I'm hoping he can excell in his role this season, and hope a minute restriction can lead to him finally being healthy for a postseason in a Knicks uniform. We proved last year that we don't need Amare to win regular season games but we will need him if we're going to go as deep as we all hope we will. I would like to see him get nice stretches without Melo where he can be the number one option and heavy focal point, I feel like that would lead to him providing more of a scoring impact even if his minutes are restricted.

As for JR I'm a bit disappointed that we couldn't find a better option, as I don't have much confidence in him when it comes to postseason play. We were limited though so it is what it is. The optimistic outlook on him to me would be that he expanded his role a lot throughout the season as we needed him, and the healthy Amare we needed never really came around to change that. Hopefully with a brand new start and better scoring options around we can get the JR from November, which I think was a great role for him. The only two times he played good in the postseason was back in Denver when he was in a smaller role and was expected to do much less. With the addition of Bargnani and a hopefully healthy Amare he will be downsized and hopefully that can fix his woes.

What do you guys think of the offseason so far, and how confident are you feeling in this group to grow and improve on what was a strong season last year?

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Knicks don't care about Amare and THjr shouldn't be slotted in as a contributor before he even plays a summer league game. I think Barnes and Brand off the bench would round out the offseason.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Not a fan until we bring in some rebounding or some help on the defensive side of the ball. I mean Chandler still doesn't have a back up, Amare and Bargs have not played a full season in two years and honestly Melo still doesn't have a real back up unless CJ Leslie does make the squad. I mean we still have some glaring holes we look ok on paper but with out someone to take pressure off of Chandler and Melo I see another great regular season with an injury filled playoffs not what i'm looking for. We need to get Melo and Chandler true back ups ASAP!!

vCash
    Yah Barnes/Brand would be sweet

vCash
    Bring back Kmart/JR and backup SF/C

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    Knicks don't care about Amare and THjr shouldn't be slotted in as a contributor before he even plays a summer league game. I think Barnes and Brand off the bench would round out the offseason.
    Would love to get both, but not sure how realistic it is. Barnes has been taking one year deals for a while now, he's in a position to get maybe the best contract of his career and I'm not sure he would take another vet min deal at this point. Brand too, not sure he'll take a contract starting at the $1.7M left from the MMLE. Speaking on that, would his vet min be more than $1.7M?

vCash
    Barnes , Brand Would be my best case scenario to round things out .. Hopefully another PG aswell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by faze38 View Post
    Not a fan until we bring in some rebounding or some help on the defensive side of the ball. I mean Chandler still doesn't have a back up, Amare and Bargs have not played a full season in two years and honestly Melo still doesn't have a real back up unless CJ Leslie does make the squad. I mean we still have some glaring holes we look ok on paper but with out someone to take pressure off of Chandler and Melo I see another great regular season with an injury filled playoffs not what i'm looking for. We need to get Melo and Chandler true back ups ASAP!!
    Yeah, this offseason has been very much on the offensive side. We're really limited, it's going to be hard to get everything we want. Amare and Barg may be needed to get those PF minutes full with their recent health histories lol. I think we'll still see stretches of Melo at PF, it just creates too good of mismatches not to use it.

I think with JR coming back we're going to see Shumpert get some minutes at SF again. There's just too many minutes to go around and too few available at SG. Maybe not the most ideal but Melo should be eating up most of the minutes at SF anyways so it shouldn't be bad.

Getting a legit backup C would be GREAAAT, not sure how good our options are at this point though. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 07-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    keep hearing legit backup defensive center......you mean like camby who we never used?

vCash
    I'm hoping for one of Barnes/Delfino and both Brand and K-Mart. Jermaine O'Neal would also be nice.

vCash
    Definitely agreeing with wanting Barnes and Brand, or another solid big man vet. KMart is still an option, but maybe a more two sided talent like Brand would provide better? I think another PG would be nice if we can get someone solid. Is Telfair that guy? I don't know, I don't think he has the efficiency or shooting we're looking for to compliment our roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    keep hearing legit backup defensive center......you mean like camby who we never used?
    Yeah but with his health woes he was never really a legitimate option. He never looked good at any point of the season either.

vCash
    So what's our best case scenario? Can we still get 3 veterans capable of producing and stepping up?

I'd go for Dalembert, a true backup Center that can rebound and block some shots. We have plenty of players who can fill in at PF, but not at C. Someone who can give Chandler long breathers and allow him to be aggressive without worrying too much about foul trouble.

Considering this, I'd try to lure Dalembert offering him a chance to win and be the first big off the bench.

Dalembert,
    Aaron Brooks (3rd string PG, low value right now)
    Matt Barnes (interested in coming here, but maybe not for vets min) would be my first choice. Then I'd look for any of the following: Derrick Brown, Shawne Williams, Ronnie Brewer, James Johnson.

Best Case Scenario:

C Chandler, Dalembert
    PF Bargnani, Stoudemire
    SF Anthony, Barnes
    SG Shumpert, Smith, Hardaway
    PG Felton, Prigioni, Brooks

vCash
    Knicks need to go snatch up Tyrus Thomas off of waivers. He's been amnestied by the Bobcats.
    GO NY GO NY GO

vCash
    Delfino? That's not a bad option, he can shoot the ball quite well. Doesn't look like Barnes will be obtainable without the full MMLE, but some tweeters are saying that Copeland coming back for the $1.7M left isn't out of the question.

Dalembert isn't a bad option from a talent standpoint but I've never liked his lack of drive : / Still, would be better than nothing. I doubt it's possible because of the attention he's been getting, but maybe we can get Zaza Pachulia? lol.

Maybe Hamed Haddadi can be a solid, under the radar pickup?
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 07-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast