Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Trade for Cliff Lee & Ryan Howard

Hey guys. Not saying you guys are going into rebuilding mode, but if it turns that route this season and management decides to start moving players, what would it take to get Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee in a trade?

I know the rumors have been swirling that depending on how it goes by the end of the month, but at 9.5 games out and an already extremely high payroll it would make sense to start grabbing some young guys for down the line versus the older, more expensive guys now.

Fortunately for you, we absolutely love Cliff Lee and have a hole at first base. Howard would make sense to fill our need and can move to DH later on in the game (a position unavailable here)

I know Howard is on a down year, but Lee is playing well. That being said though Howard and Lee will cost $50 million ALONE next year. Our payroll is only $110 million total.

It would make a lot of sense for both teams, but obviously I doubt Texas would do much unless you guys absorb half the contract or so, and take mid level prospects. What would be a realistic trade scenario with contract absorption to get this done?

I will throw this out right now that obviously Profar is completely off the table. We do have a strong young 3rd baseman in the minors, and Elvis Andrus/Ian Kinsler that stand in front of Profar. Also a high amount of mid level pitching talent for sure at very very cheap.

That being said, the talent depends on the contract money eaten. No team is going to trade a high level prospect player and still pay $20 million a year for Howard when they could just sign a player like Howard outright and not give up another young piece. Same goes with Lee. Both are extremely high contracts for players their age, but I think both the Rangers and Phillies could mutually benefit from each other with this.

So...what are some realistic offers you would take?
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    My package

Howard, Lee

for

Mike Ott, Martin Perez, Leonys Martin , Alec Asher or Lewis Brinson

From what I see Mike Ott Dropped a Bit

With Phillies paying lotta Money
    Last edited by Phillies4life1; 07-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.

vCash
    I would take that trade sir. We will split the cost of the two contracts with you as well. Absorb probably $20 million a year for the two on the Rangers end. That is a completely fair trade. However, I would probably try to balk a little bit out of Martin just because the Rangers really desperately need a center fielder.

However, if you are willing to absorb say 70 to 80% of the contract I would probably include Martin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillies4life1 View Post
    My package

Howard, Lee

for

Mike Ott, Martin Perez, Leonys Martin , Alec Asher or Lewis Brinson

From what I see Mike Ott Dropped a Bit

With Phillies paying lotta Money

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash

Cliff Lee & Ryan Howard To Texas In Exchange For...

Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I would take that trade sir. We will split the cost of the two contracts with you as well. Absorb probably $20 million a year for the two on the Rangers end. That is a completely fair trade. However, I would probably try to balk a little bit out of Martin just because the Rangers really desperately need a center fielder.

However, if you are willing to absorb say 70 to 80% of the contract I would probably include Martin as well.
    ...Mitch Mooreland, Elvis Andrus & Mike Olt sounds like a fair trade. Throw in a little cash from the Philadelphia Phillies & this deal can get done in no time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JG1117 View Post
    ...Mitch Mooreland, Elvis Andrus & Mike Olt sounds like a fair trade. Throw in a little cash from the Philadelphia Phillies & this deal can get done in no time.

I don't want Moreland Take him out add Martin perez or Martin and then add Alec Asher or Lewis Brinson

Biddle and Martin AT THE TOP of rotation in 2 years with hopefully Hamels or DBrown and Martin in the OF

vCash
    You are both on acid. The Rangers would hang up the phone, rolling on the floor laughing, at those kind of offers. Trading Andrus, or Perez, or Martin is slim to none, especially for overpaid, mediocre talent like Howard. Moreland is a better 1B right now than Howard...good gosh.

Just STOP.

vCash
    I second Y2K. The posts on this thread are hilariously misinformed.

The framework is similar to the Red Sox/Dodgers trade last year. Lee, Howard, and a useful veteran could net a couple B level prospects and a lot of salary relief, assuming the Rangers are willing to take that on. Only Texas or Boston could conceivably pursue such a deal. I'm not confident that the Phillies would tack Howard onto a deal just to clear his salary, although I would consider that to be a brilliant move personally.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    I would argue different. Texas is in a scenario nothing like the Dodgers. If that were the case they wouldn't have let all of their players walk each year upon getting huge contract extensions from other teams.

That being said, it will not be a salary dump. Texas isn't interested in just taking on $50 million a year in salary for Lee and Howard. That is the only scenario where the Phillies would just trade them straight up for a couple mediocre prospects. I'm sure the Phillies would love to do that, but it won't happen.

Like I said before, you trade Moreland, Olt, and another prospect, maybe Martin or Perez, and then spit the remaining salary. Maybe even 60/40 on the Phillies end.

That gives the Rangers Lee and Howard at only around $10 million a year a piece. A completely reasonable contract for us to take on and give us the chance to win now. It also gives the Phillies three big young building pieces, with enough contract relief to clear some books for the next couple years and lock up younger talent.

It's a good trade that makes sense for both teams I feel and many would probably feel the same.

vCash
    As far as Mitch Moreland goes, some of my peers seem to overvalue him for what he is really worth I believe. The guy has never hit more than 16 HR's a year, and 50 RBI's. Granted he will beat that this year, but either way I am not passing up on the opportunity to get someone like Howard just because Moreland has had an OK first half of the season. He still has a lot of room to grow though, but I can go either way with him on our team.

I think a lot of people are just worried trading him would become another version of Chris Davis for the Rangers.

I would personally trade Mitch Moreland for Cliff Lee and take on $10 million a year of Lee's salary straight up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I would argue different. Texas is in a scenario nothing like the Dodgers. If that were the case they wouldn't have let all of their players walk each year upon getting huge contract extensions from other teams.

That being said, it will not be a salary dump. Texas isn't interested in just taking on $50 million a year in salary for Lee and Howard. That is the only scenario where the Phillies would just trade them straight up for a couple mediocre prospects. I'm sure the Phillies would love to do that, but it won't happen.

Like I said before, you trade Moreland, Olt, and another prospect, maybe Martin or Perez, and then spit the remaining salary. Maybe even 60/40 on the Phillies end.

That gives the Rangers Lee and Howard at only around $10 million a year a piece. A completely reasonable contract for us to take on and give us the chance to win now. It also gives the Phillies three big young building pieces, with enough contract relief to clear some books for the next couple years and lock up younger talent.

It's a good trade that makes sense for both teams I feel and many would probably feel the same.
    It's not even close to good. It is moronic

vCash
    I think Phillie fans would give you Ryan Howard for free, just to be out from under that contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I think Phillie fans would give you Ryan Howard for free, just to be out from under that contract.
    most sensible guy in this thread. (besides A-Team )

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    Young and Pap to BoSox for whoever and Howard to anyone for a bucket of balls. Utley stays cause he can. Rollins just needs to retire. Phillies get the Fox 2 billion dollar contract and start spending money again on over the hill players. RAJ needs to go "if" they get the contract. Start the team over with Sandberg at the helm. And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

vCash
    Why would Rollins retire? He's the 10th best MLB shortstop by WAR and the 9th best hitting shortstop. You can make a statistical case that pretty much all of the players who are ahead of him are actually worse.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Howard to go on the 15-day DL, so despite the chuckle that I got when reading this thread, Howard CERTAONLY doesn't get moved now...he wasn't going to get moved anyway (very unlikely), but no one will want him with his bad knees (not going into production, so let it go)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast