Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Somebody please school me on why the pirates are ahead of the mets

NY teams have more money and resources, so how in the past few years did the pirates rebuild into this power house and we're down by the cellar?
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by So Co Jo View Post
    NY teams have more money and resources, so how in the past few years did the pirates rebuild into this power house and we're down by the cellar?
    Better farm system, better young positional talent, better rotation, better bullpen. Shall i go on?

The Pirates took longer than a few years to rebuild btw. They haven't made the playoffs since 1992.

When you go through years of attrition, eventually you can put together a winner if you start accumulating the right young talent. That's what happened with the Rays in 2008.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    The Mets had the resources to keep themselves out of the gutter.

The Pirates did not have the resources to keep themselves out of the gutter.

Teams on the sidewalk don't get top draft picks.

Teams licking crumbs of the street get top draft picks.

Teams with the money to live in the penthouse buy free agents.

Teams hanging in the sewers with the Ninja Turtles use the money they scrap together with left over pizza money to go over slot in the draft.

Teams up in the penthouse take out telescopes to scout 16 year olds thousands of miles away in Latin America. And everything looks better until you get up close.

Teams saving their pizza money try to keep it stateside since they can't see Latin America from their view.

Eventually the team in the penthouse can't sustain the cost of rent.

Eventually the team that was patient no longer need to worry about the cost of rent.

Happy?

vCash
    The Pirates have a slight edge in rotation, the main difference in the defense and bullpen.

vCash
    this time last year the mets were 43 - 37 and the pirates were 42 - 36... it's really boggling my mind how good the pirates are now. everyday I hear about the pitching talent in the minors... aside from TDA it feels like we don't have any hitters
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mhschiefs97 View Post
    This is false.

Cash flow was so restricted for up to 3 years that last year they did not field a GCL team in order to save 1 to 1.5 million dollars. Meanwhile the monies they spent previously were tied up in injured and unproductive players.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    this time last year the mets were 43 - 37 and the pirates were 42 - 36... it's really boggling my mind how good the pirates are now. everyday I hear about the pitching talent in the minors... aside from TDA it feels like we don't have any hitters
    Puello
    Flores
    Plawecki
    Nimmo
    Cecchini
    Smith
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

Teams hanging in the sewers with the Ninja Turtles use the money they scrap together with left over pizza money to go over slot in the draft.

Teams up in the penthouse take out telescopes to scout 16 year olds thousands of miles away in Latin America. And everything looks better until you get up close.

Teams saving their pizza money try to keep it stateside since they can't see Latin America from their view.
    What do teams in castles do? Teams that still live with their parents? How about teams that live on a waterboat? Just curious.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash

Eventually the team that was patient no longer need to worry about the cost of rent.

Happy?
    Me thinks you were stoned when you wrote this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    This is false.

Cash flow was so restricted for up to 3 years that last year they did not field a GCL team in order to save 1 to 1.5 million dollars. Meanwhile the monies they spent previously were tied up in injured and unproductive players.
    I was just having fun lol. You don't build a team like the Pirates in the period of time the Mets have been cash strapped.

vCash
    The laundry list of excuses is always justified by Evan Roberts. Excuses are for losers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    The laundry list of excuses is always justified by Evan Roberts. Excuses are for losers.
    My nephew had cancer and passed away. He had cancer. What a loser.

Causation
    is not an excuse.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 07-01-2013 at 08:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    My nephew had cancer and passed away. He had cancer. What a loser.

Causation is not an excuse.
    Sry about your nephew but not following the analogy or point of your post. The posts are about baseball and the Mets excuses. You counter with a fatal disease. Seriously? Really? Seriously????

vCash
    The Pirates haven't done anything since Calvin Coolidge (he was a president [of the US]). It had to happen eventually.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash

Happy?
    I have no idea what you are saying, but it sounds funny.....

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast