Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bobcats Sign Al Jefferson - 3 yrs $41 mil

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that the Charlotte Bobcats are opening up the 2013 free agency period by pursuing Jazz forward/center Al Jefferson.

Jefferson averaged 18 points and nine rebounds last season for Utah, and is considered one of the best available free agents in this class. He would instantly become the best player on the rebuilding Bobcats, who drafted forward/center Cody Zeller in Thursday's draft.

Jefferson is the kind of player the Bobcats can afford to toss a huge offer to, and take a gamble on. Paired with Bismack Biyombo, the Bobcats' frontcourt might be able to make a little bit of progress since.... the establishment of the franchise.

The Jazz have sent mixed signals about their intentions regarding efforts to re-sign Jefferson.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...f-al-jefferson

vCash
    Obviously people will criticize this but 18 and 9 on a decent team would probably be 21 and 10 on a bad team like the hornets. The bobcats need low post scoring and he would solve that immediately. Who cares if his defense isn't that good. Clifford should be able to coach around that. Kemba hendo mkg zeller and Jeff could be a team that scores over 100 every night and I'd much rather lose 104 to 101 than 97 to 83.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    vCash
    Has he ever been the same since tearing his ACL? I mean, i still want him. We could use the talent. And pair Biz next to him to maybe help with his defensive woes

vCash
    Please suceed in signing him. Don't want him back in Utah.

Warriors come out and Ta-ank.

vCash

vCash
    Bobcats tank two years in a row with bad drafts, then attempt to sign Al Jefferson the year before the best draft class in a decade? Makes sense.

vCash
    Please no! We have to tank this season, get an awesome player in next year draft and then go 100% with the Hornets name ;D lol.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Bobcats tank two years in a row with bad drafts, then attempt to sign Al Jefferson the year before the best draft class in a decade? Makes sense.
    Even with him though, I dont see us being better then a bottom 5 team. It would take us out of the Wiggins race i think though

vCash

vCash
    Adding a player like zeller and then adding Jefferson would definetly take us out of the bottom 5. But I want to see continued improvement not tanking. Just say for instance that charlotte signs Jefferson and say we make the 8th seed in playoffs, we would then owe our 1st rd pick to bulls right. We still have a pretty good chance at having 2 1st round picks next year with the ability to trade them to move up to get wiggins. We have a better chance of trading for the number 1 pick than actually being lucky enough to win it outright. Besides if we were for chance to sign Jefferson and make playoffs and have 2 1st round picks, that's not a bad position to be in. You could offer those 2 1st rounders for Paul George for example. Ordinarily that wouldn't be enough but in next years draft that would have serious value. All I'm trying to say is you don't have to tank to get better. My personal opi ion is that if your gonna gamble, gamble big on someone like Bynum for say 2 yrs 30 mil. Obviously that's a lot of money and he's been hurt,,,, but if he is healthy, the hornets instantly go to being a playoff contender with a big piece to build around. High risk but potential for very high reward. Everyone will be offering 1 year deals so maybe he would bite on a 2 year deal if that's the longest deal thrown his way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn92207 View Post
    Adding a player like zeller and then adding Jefferson would definetly take us out of the bottom 5. But I want to see continued improvement not tanking. Just say for instance that charlotte signs Jefferson and say we make the 8th seed in playoffs, we would then owe our 1st rd pick to bulls right. We still have a pretty good chance at having 2 1st round picks next year with the ability to trade them to move up to get wiggins. We have a better chance of trading for the number 1 pick than actually being lucky enough to win it outright. Besides if we were for chance to sign Jefferson and make playoffs and have 2 1st round picks, that's not a bad position to be in. You could offer those 2 1st rounders for Paul George for example. Ordinarily that wouldn't be enough but in next years draft that would have serious value. All I'm trying to say is you don't have to tank to get better. My personal opi ion is that if your gonna gamble, gamble big on someone like Bynum for say 2 yrs 30 mil. Obviously that's a lot of money and he's been hurt,,,, but if he is healthy, the hornets instantly go to being a playoff contender with a big piece to build around. High risk but potential for very high reward. Everyone will be offering 1 year deals so maybe he would bite on a 2 year deal if that's the longest deal thrown his way.
    I don't want to be the 8th seed in the playoffs. No way. And there is zero, ZERO chance that the Bobcats would be able to trade up the two picks they're owed from the Pistons and Trailblazers for Wiggins. First off, the team in position to draft him has no incentive to trade down. Secondly, the Trailblazers pick is top 12 protected, and the Pistons pick is top 14 protected. That means, at absolute best, you have #13 and #15. That falls pathetically short of the value it would take to move into the #1 pick in any given year, much less one where there is a franchise prospect. And losing our pick to the Bulls next year in the deepest draft class in a decade would be devastating to this team.

The Bobcats need to resist the desire to spend and improve the team through FA this season. Signing Al Jefferson does not make you a contender. It puts the team in the same mediocre rut they were stuck in with the Gerald Wallace/Stephen Jackson core a few years back. Signing free agents is flashy, the fans like it, and you get yourself a handful of wins maybe, but it is not worth destroying the future that they've been building towards for three years now. Not even close.

vCash
    i don't want to be the 8th seed in the playoffs. No way. And there is zero, zero chance that the bobcats would be able to trade up the two picks they're owed from the pistons and trailblazers for wiggins. First off, the team in position to draft him has no incentive to trade down. Secondly, the trailblazers pick is top 12 protected, and the pistons pick is top 14 protected. That means, at absolute best, you have #13 and #15. That falls pathetically short of the value it would take to move into the #1 pick in any given year, much less one where there is a franchise prospect. And losing our pick to the bulls next year in the deepest draft class in a decade would be devastating to this team.

the bobcats need to resist the desire to spend and improve the team through fa this season. Signing al jefferson does not make you a contender. It puts the team in the same mediocre rut they were stuck in with the gerald wallace/stephen jackson core a few years back. Signing free agents is flashy, the fans like it, and you get yourself a handful of wins maybe, but it is not worth destroying the future that they've been building towards for three years now. Not even close.
    ex-act-ly

vCash
    I don't want to be the 8th seed in the playoffs. No way. And there is zero, ZERO chance that the Bobcats would be able to trade up the two picks they're owed from the Pistons and Trailblazers for Wiggins. First off, the team in position to draft him has no incentive to trade down. Secondly, the Trailblazers pick is top 12 protected, and the Pistons pick is top 14 protected. That means, at absolute best, you have #13 and #15. That falls pathetically short of the value it would take to move into the #1 pick in any given year, much less one where there is a franchise prospect. And losing our pick to the Bulls next year in the deepest draft class in a decade would be devastating to this team.

The Bobcats need to resist the desire to spend and improve the team through FA this season. Signing Al Jefferson does not make you a contender. It puts the team in the same mediocre rut they were stuck in with the Gerald Wallace/Stephen Jackson core a few years back. Signing free agents is flashy, the fans like it, and you get yourself a handful of wins maybe, but it is not worth destroying the future that they've been building towards for three years now. Not even close.
    The Detroit pick is Top 8 protected next year then Top 1 protected in 2015 or unprotected in 2016 but I do agree with everything you said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    The Detroit pick is Top 8 protected next year then Top 1 protected in 2015 or unprotected in 2016 but I do agree with everything you said.
    Yeah sorry, I was looking at 2013. Regardless, 9+13 still wouldn't be close to enough to make a team trade away Wiggins.

vCash
    It is awfully quiet, people tweeted out seeing Big Al in Charlotte earlier, hopefully Cho wins out and we bypass on making this move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast