Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

In the calm before the annual NBA free agency storm, lets reset the #Knicks payroll

In the calm before the annual NBA free agency storm, lets reset the #Knicks payroll for 2013-14:
    The Knicks roster has seven players officially under contract for guaranteed salaries in 2013-14:

Amar'e Stoudemire - $21,679,893
    Carmelo Anthony - $21,490,000
    Tyson Chandler - $14,100,538
    Raymond Felton - $ 4,180,000
    Marcus Camby - $ 3,383,773
    Steve Novak - $ 3,750,001
    Iman Shumpert - $ 1,797,600
    Total: $70,381,805

[FYI: Projected Cap: $58.5 million]

We assume the team will sign first round pick Tim Hardaway Jr. His first year rookie salary is $997,300. That brings the total to $71,379,105, which will push the team just over the projected luxury tax threshold of $70M.

Now, for the cold water.

Free Agent cap holds:
    J.R. Smith $3,648,387 (Early Bird- 130%)
    Chris Copeland $ 988,872 (Qualifying Offer)
    Pablo Prigioni $ 988,872 (Qualifying Offer)

Payroll total: $77,005,236 (11 players)

That puts the team well over the $4 million luxury tax apron, which means, under the new CBA rules, the team CAN NOT execute a sign-and-trade for any free agents. So put away the trade machine while dreaming of Chris Paul, Dwight Howard or Andre Iguodala.

Now, while we expect the team will use the Taxpayer's Mid-Level Exception ($3.1 million) in some form (i.e.: would need it to re-sign Copeland), let's round it out with an $80,1005,236 payroll for a 12-man roster.

What's left are three roster spots that basically can only be filled with minimum salary contracts, be it undrafted rookies or veteran's minimums.

Or, of course, the team could trade one large contract for multiple contracts. Such trades have to be within 120% of the value of the outgoing contract(s), which means, technically, the team can take on more salary via trade.

So understand the Knicks' options are limited. They will need to focus on their own free agents first and see what is left available to them once the dust has settled on free agency. Keep in mind that there will be teams looking to trade this summer as the CBA's new luxury tax brackets

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-kn...source=twitter

vCash
    Add Hardaway at 997k, puts us at $71.2m

Leslie if he makes the team puts us at around $72m for 9 players... 3 ghost roster spots at $473k puts us at $73.4m. If Prigs takes the vet min we're at $73.9m

I've heard the lux tax should go up this year to close to $72m if not more.

So... if JR & Copeland leave... which is not out of the question right now, and we sent Novak to a team under the cap like MIN or CLE for a TPE, we'd be under the lux tax. Which means, we could do S&T's AND we'd get the FULL $5m MLE.

vCash
    The Knicks are not gonna hardcap their team trying to do a sign and trade, and wind up not being able to add players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged QT View Post
    The Knicks are not gonna hardcap their team trying to do a sign and trade, and wind up not being able to add players.
    If you're under the lux tax you can do any S&T and not be hardcapped.

I think they announce the cap, lux, and apron July 10th.

vCash
    Man there's gotta be one team interested in stat. Sweeten the pot with hardaway if we have to. Looking at this list and seeing stat gets me down thinking about next season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtcd20 View Post
    Man there's gotta be one team interested in stat. Sweeten the pot with hardaway if we have to. Looking at this list and seeing stat gets me down thinking about next season
    That's how I feel minus Timmy lol

Trade other picks get him off our team sign tyreke and brand and some other help and were in my eyes ready to murder the heat ..add a pg like will Bynum or devin Harris (that'd be nice) ..

If we can we gotta move camby,Novak and any way to move stat without taking too much cap back ..

vCash
    China?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    China?
    Israel! Lol

vCash
    I'm pretty much ready to accept that barring a Mavs-like miracle run or some luck in the form of injury to LeBron James that this current 3 year 'window' (2 now) has an absolute ceiling at the ECF and retaining Melo and adding some cheapish long term keepers/talent (Hardaway, Shump, JR, hopefully a Grunnie gem or two), while positioning ourself for a shopping spree in 2015 to pair with established Knicks talent (not completely emptying the cupboard and praying we can fill it all in one offseason like we did last time, but filling a cupboard thats already 2/3 full and adding a star or multiple very good players to a core that is already in place) is the best thing we can do and the best chance we have at building a legitimate championship contender.

That said, I'm still doing whatever I can to try and get Rondo. I think he can definitely be had, and I think they would love Shump. They are loaded on picks so a proven young guy would be nice addition to the rebuild. I also feel that for some reason Ainge likes to stir things up when he's trading guys away and would enjoy turning NY into a basketball warzone and create a rivalry for the ages centered around his former players.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Add Hardaway at 997k, puts us at $71.2m

Leslie if he makes the team puts us at around $72m for 9 players... 3 ghost roster spots at $473k puts us at $73.4m. If Prigs takes the vet min we're at $73.9m

I've heard the lux tax should go up this year to close to $72m if not more.

So... if JR & Copeland leave... which is not out of the question right now, and we sent Novak to a team under the cap like MIN or CLE for a TPE, we'd be under the lux tax. Which means, we could do S&T's AND we'd get the FULL $5m MLE.
    I would let J.R. and Cope go and throw the full MLE at Mayo. Then get Brand and Odom for the vet min.

Felton
    Mayo
    Melo
    Brand
    Tyson

Prigs
    Shumpert
    Hardaway
    Odom

looks good to me.

vCash
    Israel! Lol
    Was in church reading this and made me laugh out loud..... Funny ..very funny...!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankstheknicks View Post
    Was in church reading this and made me laugh out loud..... Funny ..very funny...!!!
    Well now everyone knows you're young enough that your parents still drag you to church lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

The division is going to be ran by the Sixers and Raptors in three years. Book it.

vCash
    A guy we should look at is Stephen Jackson he would help us on offense and defense...
    The Dark Knight Rises to Save Gotham Once again..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EnWhyKay View Post
    A guy we should look at is Stephen Jackson he would help us on offense and defense...
    How much is he gonna get ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreys View Post
    How much is he gonna get ?

Vet Min deal... Spurs cut him in the playoffs.. He doesnt have leverage to get more than that.. Baron Davis his old buddy works for the Knicks and Woody is a player coach.. It might be a fit..
    The Dark Knight Rises to Save Gotham Once again..