Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Blame it on Bud

vCash

Blame it on Bud

The All Star Game, once the only opportunity for most fans to see the games great players has lost it's luster and it's viewing audience. In the "golden era" of baseball (50s-70s) TV rating were consistently in the mid 20s with the share in the 40s-50.

The birth of ESPN and national "Game of the Week" began the erosion of the All Star Game cachet.
    Through the 80s-90s numbers fell from the earlier levels down to the lower teens (rating) and 20s (share). The advent of inter-league play in 1998 was the killer, last year the rating was a 6.8 with a share of 12.

If Matt Harvey is named starting pitcher and David Wright starts will you watch the ASG?

vCash
    I will watch the All-Star Game regardless. I never miss it. The game must have lost its luster to more casual fans, but IMO the diehards are still interested for the most part.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    I blame must of my bad decisions on hard liquor, bud does not get me drunk enough.

vCash

Blame it on Bud

Baseball attendance and revenue continue to steadily increase.

Yes, football is now America's favorite sport by a mile, but baseball is hardly struggling.

Ask the owners (not the Wilpons) if they feel that they have lost their golden age.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib8 View Post
    The All Star Game, once the only opportunity for most fans to see the games great players has lost it's luster and it's viewing audience. In the "golden era" of baseball (50s-70s) TV rating were consistently in the mid 20s with the share in the 40s-50.

The birth of ESPN and national "Game of the Week" began the erosion of the All Star Game cachet.
    Through the 80s-90s numbers fell from the earlier levels down to the lower teens (rating) and 20s (share). The advent of inter-league play in 1998 was the killer, last year the rating was a 6.8 with a share of 12.

If Matt Harvey is named starting pitcher and David Wright starts will you watch the ASG?
    Blame ESPN on Bud? Eh?

The A.S. game started to lose its luster because of free agency, plus as you note, cable television and ESPN, plus the internet. I don't think Selig was behind any of them. There is of course, interleague play. Thats a biggie. And you can "blame" Bud and ALL the owners for it. No longer do fans have to look to one game during the regular season to watch AL vs NL matchups.

Will I watch if Harvey starts. Maybe.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I love the AS game.

vCash
    Obviously I hope they start. But I'll watch it whether they start or not. My father (a Yankees fan) and I have made a tradition out of watching it together and I really enjoy that.

I'm young (well, for these forums I am), but I have more of an old school feeling about the game. I really wish they would do away with interleague play. I wish the leagues had their own commissioners like they used to back in the day. I wish there was more of a rivalry between the NL and AL, like it used to be. I know this is a crazy thing to say but I also wish there was some kind of rule where if you were drafted in one league, you couldn't go to the other league in a trade or in free agency (except if maybe all of the other teams in your own league chose to pass on you). That would be cool. Oh, and I wish they could do away with the DH to create more parity between the leagues.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 06-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I always like watching the all star game, and will watch every pitch this year, since its in our ballpark.

Harvey and wright will both be there, so I won't be too upset if they don't start, although harvey and wright both deserve to start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Obviously I hope they start. But I'll watch it whether they start or not. My father (a Yankees fan) and I have made a tradition out of watching it together and I really enjoy that.

I'm young (well, for these forums I am), but I have more of an old school feeling about the game. I really wish they would do away with interleague play. I wish the leagues had their own commissioners like they used to back in the day. I wish there was more of a rivalry between the NL and AL, like it used to be. I know this is a crazy thing to say but I also wish there was some kind of rule where if you were drafted in one league, you couldn't go to the other league in a trade or in free agency (except if maybe all of the other teams in your own league chose to pass on you). That would be cool. Oh, and I wish they could do away with the DH to create more parity between the leagues.
    That actually does sound very interesting.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post

I am not one that loves the old ways, I am enjoying this season now that their is constant inter league play.

As for the all star game, I stop caring when I was a teen.

vCash
    Blaming Bud for this is like blaming your girlfriend for getting horny after you just jerked off.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    The All Star Game started to lose its luster when it became less about winning and more about making sure everyone got in the game.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I never watch the entire ASG. I watch the intros and I watch the first few innings as long as a Met is in the lineup. The old ASGs I would watch religiously. Now, like a lot of big sporting events, it is totally over done with more talk than action. Constant talk about celebs in the stand, constant interviews etc. The game is so over done, that it takes too long to watch Also, they now manage to get everyone into the games and I don't really care for that. Years ago there were instances of major stars playing the entire game. Not everyone got in, that was just the way it was. The other turnoff is the guys that find a reason not to play. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The original poster made some good points about everyone having over exposure due to games of the week and inter league play. Stars changing teams all the time is also irritating. That probably takes away some of the luster.

One change I would like to see is an entire week off for the ASG. Guys that make the team get no time off. I think some guys ask out just to get a few days off An entire week witout baseball would sive everyone a break from the game to rest up and recharge.

While on the subject of changes…

Play seven games on six days every week. Doubleheaders (one admission) on Saturday or Sunday. Every Monday off. Play April thru September with an All Star Week off in July. You would still get the games in.

DH in the NL (kill me now).

Expand rosters to 28

Drop two teams. Two divisions of seven teams in each league. No players are lost since rosters are expanded to 28. Simplify travel. Play you own division 20 times (120 games). Play the other division 6 times (42 games… 3 home 3 away). Or some other machination. Have the first part of the season against your own division, the middle of the schedule against the other division and the last portion of the schedule back against your own division. The current schedule is stupid.

Drop Interleague play. I don't care if we play the Stinkees or not. Balanced schedule for all teams in the same division.

Most fans would probably like this (except for the two cities dropped), but real doubleheaders will probably never happen.

vCash
    Drop two teams. Two divisions of seven teams in each league. No players are lost since rosters are expanded to 28. Simplify travel. Play you own division 20 times (120 games). Play the other division 6 times (42 games… 3 home 3 away). Or some other machination. Have the first part of the season against your own division, the middle of the schedule against the other division and the last portion of the schedule back against your own division. The current schedule is stupid.

Drop Interleague play. I don't care if we play the Stinkees or not. Balanced schedule for all teams in the same division.

Most fans would probably like this (except for the two cities dropped), but real doubleheaders will probably never happen.-Jomota

During yesterday's game Gary mentioned that the Mets on their last trip played three games in three days in three different time zones. From the CWS they played a make up game against the Rockies and then home to face the Nationals. That had never happened before in 51 years and it will happen again in Aug. They will complete a west coast trip against the Padres, play the Twins in a make up and then home to meet the Braves.

In addition to the changes mentioned, a weather friendly April schedule should be part of the agenda. There are enough west coast and southern tier teams to have baseball open in those venues for the first two weeks.

My vote for the two teams eliminated would be the Marlins who chronically have dumped competitive teams and can't build a fan base. The Rockies would be my second choice, here I grandfathered all of the teams that had existed before the "expansion era of 1961-98. I chose the Rockies because of the altitude which makes it the outlier in terms of a "level playing field".

Moving the Astros back to the NL would restore the balance.

The increase of rosters to 28 would lend it's self to the NL style of play creating a deeper bench and BP; eliminate the DH.

Finally a week off for the ASG is good, in my fantasy league we all ready do this and use the week for fire sales. Every time the WBC came along, the break could be extended to two weeks and cancel the ASG that year.
    Last edited by yogib8; 06-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.

vCash

Most fans would probably like this (except for the two cities dropped), but real doubleheaders will probably never happen.-Jomota

During yesterday's game Gary mentioned that the Mets on their last trip played three games in three days in three different time zones. From the CWS they played a make up game against the Rockies and then home to face the Nationals. That had never happened before in 51 years and it will happen again in Aug. They will complete a west coast trip against the Padres, play the Twins in a make up and then home to meet the Braves.

In addition to the changes mentioned, a weather friendly April schedule should be part of the agenda. There are enough west coast and southern tier teams to have baseball open in those venues for the first two weeks.

My vote for the two teams eliminated would be the Marlins who chronically have dumped competitive teams and can't build a fan base. The Rockies would be my second choice, here I grandfathered all of the teams that had existed before the "expansion era of 1961-98. I chose the Rockies because of the altitude which makes it the outlier in terms of a "level playing field".

Moving the Astros back to the NL would restore the balance.

The increase of rosters to 28 would lend it's self to the NL style of play creating a deeper bench and BP; eliminate the DH.

Finally a week off for the ASG is good, in my fantasy league we all ready do this and use the week for fire sales. Every time the WBC came along, the break could be extended to two weeks and cancel the ASG that year.
    The Rockies draw fans so there is no way they would be eliminated. I would be looking at the teams that don't draw then see if any of them are in need of a new stadium. Once s stadium is built, it becomes hard to disband or move a team. I'd look into folding the Rays into the Marlin, do somethiog about Loria, and then give the Marlins a few years to right that mess or let them move. The other teams I would be looking at would be the A's and the Royals. Old stadiums and not drawing well.