Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who plays 2B next season?

The roster looks pretty set for 2014 except for 2B and C. I don't see any moves being made at catcher, I think that JPA is set to be a defensively and offensively beow average player for another year or two until Jimenez comes up, fingers crossed.

Leaves the question - who plays second base? I personally don't think that Izturis or Bonifacio are really everday players but they would look really good on the bench - Thole, Izturis, Bonifacio and Davis looks perfect imho.

Looking round there I think that there are 2 decent Free Agents and 2 possible trade targets.

1. Robinson Cano (FA) - perfect but not coming here. Yankees and Dodgers will back up a money truck with a 10 year contract attached. Whoever gets him has done really well for the next 6 or 7 years then regret will set in. Not coming here

2. Chase Utley (FA) - or, more accurately :The Ghost Of Chase Utley". Chronic knee problems in both knees since 2011 have limited him to less than 100 games per year since then. Sounds like an awful idea or the concrete and would surely demand a long contract, seemingly because his name is Chase Utley and he was fantastic in 2010. No thanks, too high an injury risk

3. Rickie Weeks (Brewers) - good player, signed with a vesting option through to the end of 2015, around $11M per year. Milwaukee is rebuilding and has an almost ready prospect in Scooter Gennett who has been playing this year but isn't hitting well yet. Whether Milwaukee see Gennett as a future everyday player will determine whether they would let Weeks go for a reasonable deal or not. Nice medium term solution but price may be too high and would Rogers commit to another $11M per year?

4. Jose Altuve (Astros) - a notch below Weeks but still a decent player, enters arbitration in 2015 so is under team control through to the end of 2017. Houston's ~4 prospect is Delino DeShields Jr who is miles away in A+ but looks nearly ready to move up to AA. If Houston have faith that he'll get to the everyday level they could trade away Altuve but would want a good prospect for him and would probably rather wait another year. OK long term solution but price would be high

Overall I'd like Weeks but that would take a good prospect or two to swing and you'd have to convince ownership that the extra cash would make a big difference.

Have I missed anybody?
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    I'm not sure who will be but i am 100% sure of one person it wont be and that's Cano

vCash
    ummm....

a bit early for this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    ummm....

a bit early for this
    Maybe but the two guys I identified as trade candidates may both be available at this year's trade deadline.

If I'm AA then I at least want to know the price in case somebody goes down with a season ending injury between now and then, means you are already started on trade negotiations and have a head start on anybody else.
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    In all honesty, I think Izturis will be our 2nd baseman next year. Not an answer I'm to thrilled about either, but between the contract that has him here at least another couple years, and the barren wasteland that is available 2nd basemen out there, I think that Maicer is what we will end up with. Or Bonifacio <shudder>.

I hope I'm wrong on this one though.

Btw, is Davis not a free agent next year, or am I remembering that wrong?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    In all honesty, I think Izturis will be our 2nd baseman next year. Not an answer I'm to thrilled about either, but between the contract that has him here at least another couple years, and the barren wasteland that is available 2nd basemen out there, I think that Maicer is what we will end up with. Or Bonifacio <shudder>.

I hope I'm wrong on this one though.

Btw, is Davis not a free agent next year, or am I remembering that wrong?

yes he is. On a 1 year 2.5m deal!

vCash
    I think it will be someone not playing for the Jays now. Izturis is a very sevicable infield back up and will have 2 years left on his contract, but I keep hearing of this 3 year window, we need better at 2nd . All these contracts ending in 2 more years after this we need to solidify 2nd for the next 3 year window!

vCash
    Kolten Wong

vCash
    Kawasaki...

vCash
    Alomar

vCash
    i'm gonna go with Corbin Bernsen. but none of this "olay" ********.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i'm gonna go with Corbin Bernsen. but none of this "olay" ********.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawrie moved to second or at least get a lot of work there at winter ball. I don't know if his bat projects well at third base, but he would be okay at second. I know his defense is good at third, but I think he can be very good at second as well. With a lot of work I think he would be at least as good of an option as Izturis and company who should be utility players anyway.

vCash
    Infante is a FA?

Canadian in Carolina. University of South Carolina Beaufort.
    vCash
    Kawasaki
    http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/NOAH.gif

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!- BEASTMODE

BLUE JAYS

twitter
    https://twitter.com/NicolasONeill_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast