Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Post Giannis Antetokounmpo

NBA Comparison: Nicolas Batum
    Strenghts: Athletic wing with a remarkable 73 wingspan of and incredibly huge hands ... Hes still in the development stage and has grown three inches since last year ... Standing 69, he has amazing mobility and body control for a guy his height ... Hes able to change directions off the dribble and with the ball in his hands with incredible smoothness and quickness, getting to the rim while maintaining excellent balance ... His athleticism and wingspan make him able to cover 4 positions on the floor, showing great versatility ... He has a natural feel for the game and a good basketball IQ, with good passing skills and instincts and the potential to become a point forward at the next level ... Thanks to his big hands and his creativity, hes an amazing ball handler for his position ... Hes unstoppable with momentum, especially during secondary transition, when he can exploit his amazing mobility starting from the dribble ... This year during youth games and Greek second division games, he showed the ability to start from one end after the rebound and go coast to coast and get to the rim with 2-3 dribbles, with incredible smoothness and speed ... He shows good potential to improve as a shooter even if its his main shortcoming at the moment ... On the defensive end he has great instincts in the passing lanes and in help situations, often with perfect timing for blocks from the blind side ... With his physical tools he could easily guard opposing wings, showing the potential to defend both guards and power forwards, depending match ups. Hes still raw in many perspectives, but his ceiling and upside are the highest among the internationals of this 2013 draft ...

Weaknesses: His level of competition is a big concern, because it makes judging his talent and current level very difficult. Without question he has a large basement to go with his large ceiling ... Despite his athletic abilities he lacks elite explosiveness ... He has to bulk up, working especially in the lower body since hes definitely too skinny to face NBA opponents at the moment ... The concern is how to develop him correctly from the muscular standpoint, in order to avoid loss of speed and mobility (Boris Diaw) ... His game off the ball is rather weak, especially related to spacing and use of screens and cuts, in fact most of his offensive production happens with the ball in his hands ... The only exception is when he's slashing to the basket for put backs or on the break ... Plus he basically has no mid-range game, he tends to attack the rim without considering the option of the pull up jumper ... He shot 31.3 % from three point line this year, showing good potential, but he lacks consistency at this point, his mechanics seems unnatural and not fluent ... On the defensive side, he needs to learn the basis, since hes beaten by the opponents due a lack of proper positioning and comprehension ... The overall impression is of a raw prospect from basketball comprehension standpoint, whose is based on instincts, talent, physical gifts and natural feel for the game. For this reason he needs to be tested at a higher level of competition than Greek second division, since his level of experience is definitely low.

Notes: Also known as: Giannis Antetokounmpo ... The youngest player in this year's NBA draft. Won't be 19 until December ... Son of Nigerian immigrants, he was enrolled with his older brother (20 years old) Athanasios Adetokoubo by Filiathlitikos Academy, an ambitious club from Athens Area. He averaged 8 points and 5 rebounds in Greek A2 this year, when he came out as he came out of obscurity to become a potential lottery pick ... This June he could be part of the 2013 adidas Eurocamp, since he has just gotten his Nigerian passport.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/giannis-adetokoubo

When the Spurs were in the Finals last week, there were stories making the rounds that San Antonio deliberately avoided U.S. players in favor of players born overseas. At the time, I didn’t think much of it.

In picking Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Bucks are perhaps drawing up a blueprint similar to the one the Spurs used to build their winning machine.

Of course, the Bucks didn’t pick Giannis Antetokounmpo because he was born overseas. They picked him because he’s young, athletic, and in a small pool of freakishly long players hoping to be drafted, Giannis is super, hyper-freakishly long. Plus, he could still be growing.

But picking an 18-year-old is always a risk and no matter the talent level, the Bucks have to rely on Antetokounmpo to develop. He has to work. Has to listen. Has to lift weights and eat right. It’s not easy.

For a lack of better words to choose from, by picking a player from overseas, the Bucks have reined in a player who hasn’t been spoiled or tainted by amateur basketball in the U.S. It’s plainly evidently from what he said in his post-draft press conference. Antetokounmpo doesn’t sound like a kid who will soon complain about having to wear a warm coat in December or play in a city that doesn’t maximize his Q-rating.

Antetokounmpo, on being drafted:

I can’t describe how excited I feel to get drafted in the first round by the Milwaukee Bucks. It’s a dream come true. But this is not the end. It’s only the beginning, you know, to a very long road that maybe some day will give me the opportunity to make my NBA team successful.

But I know I’m not ready, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I’m not afraid. I will give everything in the court, in the gym. And I will prove to the Milwaukee Bucks that they made the right choice. And then I want to thank my agent for the work a lot for all of this, for the draft, for everything. Thank you.

He later added:

This moment I’m very happy. And I think in the past, make me sad. We struggled a lot in the past to have a better life, and now that I get drafted in the NBA, for sure we’re going to have a better life. And I think now my mother and my father at home, they will be very happy to see me drafted, because four years in sadness and poverty is very difficult. Maybe after four years, maybe today it’s the happiest day of their life to see me drafted, to see all that work and effort that they gave then, he work out. He worked out, a good thing.
    http://behindthebuckpass.com/2013/06...ding%20on%20FS

Sports Whispers ‏@SportsWhispers 11h
    Giannis Antetokounmpo is a solid pick for the #Bucks. Won't be ready for a few years but has immense potential
    -Twitter

Giannis,Henson,Sanders is like 20' of defense. Triple towers works for me.

ATHENS — His new passport says he is Greek, but Giannis Adetokunbo has lived a struggling immigrant’s life. He has peddled goods on city streets to feed himself and his brothers. While other families ferried off on island vacations, his often changed apartments in search of cheaper rent.

After catching the attention of N.B.A. scouts, he began a weight program to add muscle to his lean, 6-foot-9 frame.

Watching a video clip with his brother, Thanasis, a 6-foot-7 forward with N.B.A. dreams of his own. Their brother Alex, 11, is a budding point guard.

Yet Adetokunbo, 18, stands out from the hundreds of thousands of immigrants trying to survive in Greece. He was born here. He speaks Greek fluently. He completed Greek schooling. He recently became a Greek citizen.

Adetokunbo (pronounced a-det-o-KOON-bo), a 6-foot-9 son of Nigerian parents, also plays basketball. Very well. That is what N.B.A. scouts say. They flocked to Greece and buzzed about his ball-handling, his court vision and his decision-making.

Analysts at DraftExpress.com and HoopsWorld.com, among others, predict that Adetokunbo’s name will be called, perhaps mispronounced, in the first round of the N.B.A. draft on Thursday. If Adetokunbo eventually develops into anything like his favorite player, Kevin Durant, some N.B.A. team will be happy it took a chance on such a mysterious prospect.

“From the time I started in basketball, my dream was to be a big star, to have a big future in basketball,” he said.

Other Greek stars worked their way up through youth national teams and joined top professional clubs like Panathinaikos and Olympiacos. Adetokunbo, essentially stateless before he received his passport in May, has never played above Greece’s second division. He grew up at a tiny club called Filathlitikos, which took him in six years ago, back when he still shared a bedroom with his three brothers and preferred soccer.

He has signed to play in Spain next season, unless an N.B.A. team has different plans for him after the draft. Passport in hand, he also has begun playing with the Greek national under-20 team.

But before N.B.A. scouts located the 500-seat Filathlitikos gym in Zografou, a densely settled Athens suburb, Adetokunbo sometimes put basketball aside to help his family.

Like other immigrants to Greece, his parents struggled to find work. Adetokunbo and his older brother, Thanasis, would help out by hawking watches, bags and sunglasses. In doing so, they jeopardized their roster spots because they were missing practices. They also missed meals.

“Sometimes, our fridge was empty,” said Adetokunbo, who turned 18 in December. “Some days, we didn’t sell the stuff and we didn’t have money to feed ourselves.”

The good days brought “just enough,” he said, to make the rent, pay a water or electric bill, or buy food.

Immigrants in Greece, particularly dark-skinned ones, have been targets of abuse in recent years by far-right nationalists frustrated by the country’s economic problems.

Filathlitikos helped Adetokunbo’s mother find work, and Spiros Velliniatis, the coach who persuaded the Adetokunbo brothers to try basketball, said he and others chipped in to help the family on occasion.

“You’re in front of Mozart and he has no food, what do you give him? You have a dilemma,” Velliniatis said. “The answer is not a violin. The answer is a loaf of bread.”

The young maestro kept growing. Annual team photos in the Filathlitikos gym show that Adetokunbo was several inches shorter than his teammate and older brother, Thanasis, as recently as two years ago. Thanasis, 20, is a 6-foot-7 forward with N.B.A. aspirations of his own.

Scouts arrived for Giannis this season, as well as N.B.A. executives, including the general managers Sam Presti of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Danny Ferry of the Atlanta Hawks and Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors’ new general manager, Masai Ujiri, a Nigerian, visited while he was working for the Denver Nuggets.

Danny Ainge, the Boston Celtics’ president for basketball operations, watched Adetokunbo collect 19 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks in a victory over Volos on March 30. Ainge’s assistant at the time, Ryan McDonough, who is the new general manager of the Phoenix Suns, was also there.

Adetokunbo played on two Filathlitikos teams. With the men’s team, he was primarily a small forward and averaged 9.5 points and 5 rebounds. He shot 31 percent from 3-point range. He was the point guard for the club’s youth team, which was among the best in Greece.

“He’s on the right track,” Kornel David, then the Suns’ director of international scouting, said after watching Adetokunbo play in April. “Guys who are 6-9 with that kind of skill set, especially at that age, there’s not many running around.”

In the last men’s game of the season, with promotion to the top division on the line, Filathlitikos lost, 89-81, in triple overtime. Adetokunbo scored 4 points, with 9 rebounds. After the final buzzer, he sat on the bench and sobbed.

Even if he is drafted, it is possible Adetokunbo will need another season in Europe. At around 200 pounds, he says he needs to become stronger.

His contract with Zaragoza in Spain’s top league, beginning next season, is worth a total of $325,000 over three years, with a club option for a fourth season, at another $325,000. It includes N.B.A. and Euroleague buyouts each season, beginning this summer.

Wherever he ends up, Adetokunbo’s parents and younger brothers are probably going with him. His younger brothers Kostas, 15, and Alex, 11, are avid basketball players. Kostas is a 6-foot-3 shooting guard, and Alex already shows excellent ball-handling skills as a point guard.

Adetokunbo said he was proud that he could support the family. His parents, Veronica and Charles, have struggled to find work in recession-battered Greece.

His mother said: “I’m telling him, Giannis please go, we will come later. He says, ‘No, you’re coming with me.’ He wants to take care of the family, and he wants us beside him.”

Adetokunbo’s parents arrived in Greece in 1991 and settled in Sepolia, a no-frills neighborhood about two miles north of the Acropolis. They were the only black family for blocks. Veronica earned money baby-sitting, and Charles was a handyman for an electrical company.

But the work was rarely steady. They had to change apartments several times, although they managed to stay in Sepolia so the children would not have to switch schools. They once were evicted for failing to pay their $455 monthly rent, Veronica said.

When they began playing basketball, Giannis and Thanasis took turns using one pair of sneakers. Soon, their athletic prowess impressed everyone. Their mother had been a high-jumper and their father had briefly played professional soccer. The boys earned first-place medals at school and church competitions in everything from table tennis to volleyball.

“They loved competition,” said Alex Matsagas, 18, who was a classmate of Giannis’s. “That’s how they made it through. They were fighters.”

But first, Velliniatis, who was helping Filathlitikos find talent, had to persuade them to try basketball.

“He said, ‘Play one month, just for fun, maybe you’ll like it,’ ” Thanasis said. “I loved it. My brother was like: ‘No, please, don’t play basketball. Come with me and play soccer.’ He wanted us to be together in every sport we played. Then he started coming and playing. And that was it.”

The Adetokunbo brothers qualified for Greek citizenship under current law, Giannis’s agent, Giorgos Panou, said. They met residency requirements, completed school, speak Greek fluently and passed citizenship tests. But the process is difficult.

Hellenic Basketball Federation officials, among others, also lobbied on their behalf. Giannis Adetokunbo is seen as a cornerstone of future Greece national teams. On the passport, his last name is spelled “Antetokounmpo.” Thanasis Adetokunbo, who is weighing offers from European clubs and will still be eligible for the N.B.A. draft next year, says he hopes for a national team call-up.

Filathlitikos Coach Takis Zivas said it was hard to predict which position Giannis Adetokunbo would play in the future because he is still growing. Even if he’s not a playmaker, “he’ll think like one,” Zivas said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/sp...nted=all&_r=1&

I hear the Hawks wanted him badly.

Playing it safe was a real possibility for the Milwaukee Bucks with the 15th pick in Thursday’s National Basketball Association draft.

Get some help for a depleted backcourt. Take Shane Larkin or Sergey Karasev or Dennis Schroeder.

But Bucks general manager John Hammond had his eye on a potential all-star talent in 18-year-old small forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, dubbed the “Greek Freak” after his talents started to become known last winter.

And Hammond decided to roll the dice on the youngest player in the draft.

“There’s no question there were safer picks but nothing with this kind of upside, nothing close to this,” Hammond said. “That’s the key component of what we have here.

“How are we going to get our next all-star? I don’t want to put that on this kid’s shoulder, but I think he has that skill set to become that, if it all falls together for him.”

The Bucks consider Antetokounmpo a small forward at 6-foot-9 and 196 pounds, but he has ball-handling skills of a point guard. Some NBA scouts have called him a poor man’s Kevin Durant, comparing his game to that of the Oklahoma City Thunder star.

“This kid is built like him, long arms and big hands,” Bucks coach Larry Drew said. “When you watch him move up and down the floor, you’ll see some resemblance.

“But we can’t put that kind of pressure on this kid. We have a lot of work to do with him, which we will.”

The Bucks selected Larry Sanders at No. 15 in 2010, a move that paid off last season with the 6-foot-11 Sanders becoming a defensive force and finishing third in balloting for the league’s most improved player award.

But taking Antetokounmpo was an even bolder move.

“He is thin, there is no doubt about that,” Hammond said. “But he’s going to fill out just with natural maturation.

“From the offensive end of the floor, I think he could find a way to be on the floor right now, at 19 years old (in December), and play. I think he’s got to be a small forward.

“Defensively with the lack of strength, he is going to have some issues to deal with there. Maybe we try to help him a little bit on the defensive end, if he does get on the floor.”

But Hammond made it clear he wants the young player to be in Milwaukee next season.

“He loves the game,” Hammond said. “He has a great smile and a great skill set.

“There is a real transition period for him. You’re talking about a kid who has only been out of the country (Greece) one time. And that was a few weeks ago when he played with the Greek national team.

“He wants to have his family here with him, and we’re going to work hard to have that happen.

“The sooner we can get him on the floor, the better it’s going to be. You look at it and say, ‘Is it going to be a D-League type situation?’ I hope not. The best thing to do is just keep him right here with us, be around NBA players, NBA games, NBA travel. Let him grow and develop.

“If he hits, this kid could be special.”

Antetokounmpo was at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the draft and went to the stage to pick up his Bucks hat from NBA Commissioner David Stern.

“I know I’m not ready; I have a lot of work ahead of me,” Antetokounmpo said in a news conference at the Barclays Center. “But I’m not afraid.

“I will give everything on the court, in the gym. And I will prove to the Milwaukee Bucks that they made the right choice.”

Antetokounmpo is the son of Nigerian parents who immigrated to Greece and he was born in Athens. He played last season for Filathlitikos in Greece’s second division and averaged 9.5 points and 5.0 rebounds in 26 games.

But the competition was hardly at an NBA level.

Still, his name started to be tossed about in NBA circles last December when league scouts first started to catch on to his emerging talent.

Hammond took a trip overseas to watch him, and the Bucks kept following him. Director of player personnel Dave Babcock scouted him recently when Antetokounmpo played for the Greek national squad.

“We started watching him after Christmas and got excited about what we saw,” Hammond said.

“He’s 6-foot-9. I don’t know how much bigger he’s going to get. He loves to handle the ball. His favorite thing is to grab it off the glass, take it himself in transition and he has amazing vision.

“He shoots the ball well. We’re all giddy. Everybody is giddy on draft night. I remember when we drafted Brandon (Jennings) we said he had all-star speed and quickness.

“But I do think this kid has potential all-star talent. He has an older brother and two little brothers; they just live in the gym. I know he has a real passion for the game, and I know he wants to be great.”

Antetokounmpo signed a contract with a Spanish pro team in Zaragoza, but Hammond said that would not be a problem and a buyout would be done.

“He did sign a contract, but most every international player has some buyout clause they deal with,” Hammond said. “He has the same sort of thing. The league allows us to do our part, and he has to do his personal part. It’s basketball business.

“But he’s going to come right away.”

Hammond admitted the Bucks now must deal with their depleted backcourt after passing on a number of candidates. Schroeder went 17th to Atlanta. Larkin was selected 18th by the Hawks but was traded to Dallas and 6-7 small forward Sergey Karasev was picked 19th by Cleveland.

“We liked some of those players,” Hammond said. “We will answer that (the backcourt) in free agency. That’s what we have to do and we understand that.

“If it was about need and being safe, we’d take the backcourt pick. This was about taking the best player on the board.”

Drew said he will be patient with Antetokounmpo.

“I said John, ‘He will not be there at 15,’” Drew said. “This kid has a chance to be very special.

“He does defend. He is very rangy at 6-9. He has been taught some defense over the years. He gets down in a stance and moves his feet. And you can tell he really wants to learn.

“We’ve got to get him stronger and get him adjusted to playing against stronger guys. But I really think this kid will learn fast. He wants to prove he can get better.”
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/213423301.html

Greek Freak, 6-10 PG, Draws NBA Execs to Athens
    20 Comments

By Chris Sheridan
    March 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM

GreekFreakThe best-kept secret in NBA scouting circles in a secret no more.

Meet Giannis Antetokoumpo, a 6-10 point guard who already has signed to play professionally next season for Zaragoza in Spain.

Yes, a 6-10 point guard, a Greek freak of Nigerian heritage who could end up being a first-round draft pick after putting on quite a show in the Greek national junior tournament attended by Bryan Colangelo of the Toronto Raptors and Masai Ujiri of the Denver Nuggets.

Antetokoumpo had 33 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals to lead the junior club Filathlitikos into the finals against Panathinaikos’ junior team. It was a breakout performance from the child prodigy, who reportedly grew up living illegally in Greece his entire life after his mother emigrated from Nigeria. His 20-year-old brother, Thannasis, a 6-foot-7 small forward, also is considered an NBA prospect.

Oklahoma City’s Sam Presti and Houston’s Daryl Morey, among others, also have been to Athens to scout Antetokoumpo, whose contract with Zaragoza is said to contain an affordable buyout clause.

Oh, and he has a 7-3 wingspan.

The Greek and Nigerian basketball federations are both trying to register Antetokoumpo to play for their respective national teams, and Antetokoumpo is expected to participate at the NBA pre-draft Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy.
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/03...ecs-to-athens/

Old article.....

ROBZ ‏@Robert_Z77 1h
    @GAdetokunbo Welcome to Milwaukee #Bucks! You, Henson and Sanders is like over 20' of wingspan. Triple towers!!!
    I'm the welcome wagon to Milwaukee.

#15 Giannis Adetokoubo aka Giannis Antetokounmpo

I like it. Let him keep playing overseas for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    I like it. Let him keep playing overseas for a year or two.
    He's going to be on the roster this year...at least as long as Hammond isn't bluffing it.

Strengths:

●Mr. Fantastic-like length (7'3" wingspan)
    ●Enormous hands
    ●Grew three inches in last 10 months
    ●"All of the physical tools"
    ●Shot blocking
    ●Ball handling (doubles as a point-forward)
    ●Athletic finisher
    ●Potential
    ●Potential
    ●Potential
    ●Not a power forward/center

Weaknesses:

●VERY weak competition
    ●Thin
    ●Incredibly raw
    ●Low shot release
    ●Inconsistent shooter
    ●Mediocre first step
    ●Only been out of Greece once in his life

John Hammond's fawning quotes on the Greek Freak:

On the pick's motives...

"When you go into the draft, people say this, and I think you have to live by it. You say you're going to take the best player on the board. With the 15th pick that's what we did. We took the most talented player on the board."

On when Antetokounmpo caught their eye...

"We started watching him after Christmas, got excited about what we saw."

On whether Antetokounmpo will stay overseas...

"He's going to come right away."

On Antetokounmpo's strengths...

"I really think this is a guy that, I don't know how we acquire a player of this type of ability, this type of potential he has, this kid is 18 years old, he's not going to be 19 until December. He's 6'9", I'm not sure how much bigger he's going to get. He's got a tremendous skill set, he loves handling the ball. His favorite thing is to grab it off the glass and take it himself in transition. He has amazing vision. He shoots the ball well. Everything is going to come easier for him as he keeps working."

On Antetokounmpo's potential...

"I know we're all giddy, everybody's giddy on draft night. I think, you haven't heard me say very often, I remember when we drafted Brandon we said he had All-Star speed and quickness. That's all we said, and I do think, I don't think we made a habit of saying this sort of thing, but I do think this kid has potential All-Star talent. It's going to take some work, he loves the game, he plays extremely hard. He's got a real passion for the gym and he wants to be great."

On whether he will start in the D-League...

"The best thing to do is keep him right here with us. Be around NBA players, be around NBA games, be around NBA travel."

On taking a risk...

"When you talk about the comparisons between like a poor man's Kevin Durant, I will say this: There were safer picks on the board for us. There were safer picks. But nothing with this upside. Nothing close to this. That's the real key component to what we have here. How are we going to get our next All-Star? I don't want to put that on this kid's shoulders, but he has that skill set."

"That was the safer picks. We liked those players. I don't want to start naming names, because those players are for sure off the board now. We'll answer that question in free agency."

Coach Larry Drew:

On Antetokounmpo's skill set...

"I remember just watching this kid, just watching his games. And for me, it's to look at his skill level. I remember watching him the first day and just seeing where this kid was. It's pretty amazing. A kid this young, physically he is not a very strong kid, but I'm talking about skills, his ability to get in between those lines and do things. Just sitting with John yesterday, I was shaking my head and I said, ‘John, he will not be there at 15.' I am really excited."

"This kid has a chance to be very, very special. At 6'9" he handles the ball, he sees the floor. He does defend. He's very, very rangy."

On Antetokounmpo's weaknesses...

"He has some work to do, there's no doubt about it. We've got to get him stronger. We've got to get him used to playing stronger guys. But he'll learn fast. He wants to prove he can get better, and this is really, again, just looking at where we're selecting, and ask ourselves, ‘Who is the best player?' To me, hands down, we made the decision."

Our Early Reaction:

Damn. Just read those quotes again.

Other than possessing a name that makes Oconomowoc, Menomonee Falls and Wauwatosa look like Smith, Jones, and Williams, it's hard to be anything but compelled right now. John Hammond and Larry Drew were practically patting themselves on the back heading up to the podium for the introductory press conference.

This is the second time Hammond has opted for the youngest player in the draft (2011 - Tobias Harris), and it's already his most controversial, in a way that doesn't send bile up your esophagus. At best, Antetokounmpo reaches the incredible ceiling Hammond and Drew set for him. At worst, he flames out as a member of a draft class many already consider to be incredibly weak. Given Hammond's track record with first round picks, I'd bet on the former rather than the latter.

We wanted a splash, and this feels like a typhoon. We wanted a long term move, so embrace the crashing waves.
    http://www.brewhoop.com/2013/6/27/44...-antetokounmpo

Like Superfly said he's on our roster this year. He will miss summer league though to finish up in Euro league.

The stats on the draft express video was high school. Here's a link to the pro league it shows every box score of him.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/gam...layerview.html

Full game. He's in the red jersey #8. Didn't get many minutes.
    Last edited by MILLERHIGHLIFE; 06-28-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast