Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

LeRoy Butler: Patriots Should Trade for Jermichael Finley

Following the arrest of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in relation to a homicide investigation in Massachusetts and subsequent release from the team, former Packers safety LeRoy Butler suggested on Twitter that the Patriots should trade for Packers tight end Jermichael Finley.

Finley is in the final year of a two-year contract signed with the Packers before the 2012 season.

In addition to Hernandez, the Patriots face uncertainty at the tight end position with All-Pro Rob Gronkowski recently undergoing back surgery and his status in question for the start of the 2013 season.

The Patriots do have other options at tight end, including Jake Ballard, but none as accomplished as Finley.

Finley has gained a reputation as a ultra-talented tight end who’s been productive when healthy, but unable to become an elite player in the NFL mainly due to inconsistency.

While the Packers might like to receive compensation immediately instead of getting delayed compensation if Finley were to leave via free agency, it would seem unlikely Green Bay would be interested in trading Finley at this point in time.

Finley is the only tight end currently on the Packers roster who has demonstrated an ability to stretch the field and be a playmaker in the passing game.

With approximately $13 million in salary cap space available to spend either this season or roll over to next season, it’s also possible the Packers could choose to offer Finley a contract extension.

Not unlike Finley, Butler has a history of being outspoken on social media with suggestions that include (but are not limited to) signing Aaron Rodgers to a contract extension about a year ahead of time and the Packers wanting Charles Woodson back following the NFL Draft.

#PACKERSmicroblog
    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/leroy-b...comment-253067

Would be interesting. I don't know if I do it. But then there would be more cap for resigning Shields, Burnett and Raji. Their contracts could be front loaded and we would have another 2 nd round pick.
    But some other TE has to step up then

vCash
    I wouldn't be opposed if we had someone behind Finley that we could for sure count on.

vCash
    I think Quarless could be the guy. I isn't as athletic or as good a pass catcher as Finley. But was a great blocker before his injury and a few great catches. But you never know how good he will be after that terrible injury

vCash
    Their TE situation isn't as dire as people think. Now it's a HUGE drop off but it's not the worst core even with Hernandez gone and Gronk out for a while, it's really not.

I would honestly rather not. I'm not convinced the compensation will be much better than the comp pick plus the rental production we get this year.

vCash
    Depends on what they would offer, but I just don't see them able to give us anyone that could help us now. Id rather wait and see how he plays this season and go from there.

Correction: Give us Tim Tebow and 2 draft picks and its a deal!
    ADOPT A PACKER: AJ HAWK

vCash
    LeRoy says Finlay is worth a 2nd pick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    LeRoy says Finlay is worth a 2nd pick
    Well to that team and the position they're in, I'd say Finley is worth a 1st....................................... but we're both wrong lol
    ADOPT A PACKER: AJ HAWK

vCash
    so now that hernandez is out in NE....will the chatter to move tebow to TE begin?
    the packers have so much talent...

vCash
    It still won't. He's not a TE.

vCash
    If anyone gave us a first for Finley I would have a heart attack.

Look at how many TE's go 1st round, so few. That has to start to set the market.

Finley's a loud mouth often injured underachieving TE who isn't near the athlete most people make him out to be.

vCash
    For a second or even third round pick, I'd do it. We're not going to get that as a compensatory pick, and there's no way Finley signs another contract with Green Bay. He's going straight to Minnesota or Detroit or Chicago so fast it will make your head spin.

vCash
    I can't see the Patriots trading for a Finley. I think once cuts start happening there will be a few veteran guys cut that they'll check out... I just can't see them giving up a lot for Finley.

They have options... I think Chris Cooley, Kevin Boss, and Travis Beckum are available; then they'll have all the cuts to sift through. Plus, I would rather keep Finley!

vCash
    Tebow and I have about the same chance of playing TE in this league.
    Adopt a Packers
    SAM "Less than Tim Jennings the Nickel Corner" SHIELDS
    and Davante "I'm good at catching" Adams

Davante Adams

vCash
    I heard this a few times on the radio today and I am kind of torn about it. on one side of it I still kind of have hope for Finley and this being his contract year maybe he will go all out and be beast to earn a new contract if not with the packers than with someone else and we will get a comp pick. but on the other side if they offer you a good enough package whether it be a high draft pick or a couple of medium draft picks can you pass it up for someone you are most likely losing anyway?

vCash
    Finley has to be (and will be) big for us this year. I don't think trading him would be a good move unless it's a 1st or 2nd round pick, which it probably wouldn't be.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast