Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Young Dodger fan gives money to Bryan Stow

When the video of Casey Johnstone talking about being the only Los Angeles Dodgers fan at his Bay Area school published to YouTube, the goal wasn't to make the 10-year-old into a viral video star.

His dad, Ron, just wanted to share the video with family members and friends who couldn't attend Casey's fifth-grade graduation from Lincoln Elementary in Burlingame. All the kids, as they got promoted to intermediate school, were to give a speech about a memory from fifth grade. Casey talked about wearing his Dodgers hat and jacket in a school full of Giants lovers.

The video began to spread — getting posted on blogs like this one, earning Casey a story in the L.A. Times and then an invite to throw out the first pitch at the Dodgers game on Tuesday.

Now the Johnstones have decided to not just share the video, but the profits from it too. It's not much, but YouTube pays out ad revenue to people whose videos get a lot of attention online. So far, the video of Casey's speech has been viewed 147,000 times (and climbing). That's worth $120.

So where's the money going? Would you believe, to a Giants fan?

Casey Johnstone and his family have pledged to give that $120 and any other advertising dividends that come from the video's views to Bryan Stow, the Giants fan who was severely beaten in the Dodger Stadium parking lot in 2011. Recently, Stow left his live-in rehab facility because insurance stopped paying for his care.

"We might as well do something good with it," says Ron Johnstone, who works as an attorney for Yahoo!

He and his wife came up with the idea and pitched it to Casey, who was familiar with the Bryan Stow story and agreed. Casey is far more excited to throw out the first pitch at a Dodgers game — against the Giants, no less.

"The last thing on his mind is money," Ron Johnstone told Big League Stew.

Dad hopes more people watch the video now, so more money can be raised from it. He also hopes it brings further awareness to Stow. Maybe, he figures, more people will donate money to Stow's cause just by hearing about this.

Sounds like Casey has one heck of a follow-up speech for school next year.
    Great for the kid.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 06-26-2013 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    Agreed. Didn't the evil Barry Bonds pay for all his kids to go to college?
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Yup.

vCash
    What a prick
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    That was an awesome gesture, but he is a prick .

vCash
    Why am i not surprised by this?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Classless?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer5 View Post
    Classless?
    Not sure what else you would call them when they ignore what the kid did with the money along with a broadcaster saying Stow should just go away. You'd think they'd pick up the medical bills with it happening on their property by a Dodger fan. Stow is now out of the hospital because his family can no longer pay for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Not sure what else you would call them when they ignore what the kid did with the money along with a broadcaster saying Stow should just go away. You'd think they'd pick up the medical bills with it happening on their property by a Dodger fan. Stow is now out of the hospital because his family can no longer pay for them.
    Yeah..In my opinion at this moment It was about the kid..What hes doing with the money is commendable but there is a right place to address that and I'm not sure its right then..

Announcer who? as far as Im concerned its hear say..and TBH its an announcer not the Dodgers.

Plus after all this I believe the Dodgers and Stow family are still in litigation over this whole thing. Usually that means you dont talk about any part of the case publicly.

This just seem to be one of those hate things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer5 View Post
    Yeah..In my opinion at this moment It was about the kid..What hes doing with the money is commendable but there is a right place to address that and I'm not sure its right then..

Announcer who? as far as Im concerned its hear say..and TBH its an announcer not the Dodgers.

Plus after all this I believe the Dodgers and Stow family are still in litigation over this whole thing. Usually that means you dont talk about any part of the case publicly.

This just seem to be one of those hate things.
    I think you hit it on the head. That's why the Dodger organization is staying mum about it; they are in the middle of litigation. Who knows, they could be working toward a settlement agreement. On the outside it is easy to criticize them, but we certainly don't know the full story.

On the other hand, for a rich ownership group like the Dodgers have, they could give Stowe a negligible amount of money (from their perspective) that would make a huge difference in his life.

vCash

Young Dodger fan gives money to Bryan Stow; Dodgers are a classless organization

What a commendable young man!! Cheers to you, young buck.

vCash
    Wow, that great to hear. The parents seemed to have raised this kid well, aside from the Dodger fan business.