Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mets prefer Johnson over Cowgirl

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-tr...to-the-angels/

The Mets have traded OF Collin Cowgill to the Angels in exchange for minor league OF Kyle Johnson.

Johnson, 23, was hitting .308, 16 doubles, three triples, two home runs and 30 RBI with 30 stolen bases with Burlington of the Midwest League.

The Mets designated Cowgill for assignment last week, and were reportedly trying to deal Cowgill to the Angels over the weekend.

this post is being updated…
    I guess they really don't like cowgirls. They prefer the johnsons

vCash

vCash
    Wish we could've gotten some AAA pitcher that we could convert to a reliever. Seems like that's what we were trying to do with Shoemaker.

vCash
    Small deal. Johnson wasn't even on the Angels top 20 prospects.

Hopefully the Mets make a big splash soon. They need a big bat. If they don't, hopefully they deal Niese or Gee for a top prospect.

vCash
    He was a 25th round pick by the Angels in 2012, a college Sr. and hence why he is 23 playing in low A ball as of now.

vCash
    http://dailyevergreen.wsu.edu/read/w...ake-the-angels
    Minor league outfielder Kyle Johnson remembered his heartbeat quickening after Burlington Bees manager Jamie Burke called Johnson into his office to tell him the news.

Burke shook Johnson’s hand and said he had just been presented with the Los Angeles Angels’ Minor League Player of the Month award for April.

"Confidence is enormous for me," Johnson said. "Afterwards, I called my scout, Jason Ellison and Donnie (Marbut), and I wanted to include everyone that got me that spot."

After playing baseball for four years at WSU, Johnson moved to Orem, Utah in 2012 to play with the Orem Owlz, a rookie league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

After Johnson led the Pac-12 Conference with 17 stolen bases for the Cougars during the 2012 season, the Angels selected Johnson as the 19th pick in the 25th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft that June.

In 33 games for the Owlz, Johnson recorded a .289 batting average, including 12 RBI and 18 runs.

This April, Johnson received a new assignment, moving up in the Angels system to play for the Burlington Bees, the team’s Single-A affiliate, in Burlington, Iowa.

After 38 games with the Bees this season, Johnson leads the team with a batting average of .314, including 14 RBI and 26 stolen bases.

"I pride myself on my speed," Johnson said. "This year, I’m trying to understand the pitcher and not have any at bats slip away."

Johnson said playing baseball at WSU taught him to approach every at bat as an independent event and have an even keel mindset during the season.

Johnson also said facing several Pac-12 pitchers including Trevor Bauer from UCLA, now playing in the Cleveland Indians minor league system, and Mark Appel from Stanford prepared him well for the minors.

"Playing at WSU, you choose to be confident," Johnson said. "I’m not a big money guy, but I’m a grinder and I’m playing for my life."

Johnson said he does not analyze his stats often because players can talk themselves out of being confident. His fiancée, Susan Wilson, gives him brief updates on his progress.

Wilson said Johnson does not look at his stats during the season because he wants to be in the moment, although she said he occasionally sees glimpses of his stats during at bats.

"The game has got harder for him and the level of play is increasing," Wilson said. "The best thing for him is to keep moving up."

Wilson said Johnson’s schedule is normal, but he starts later in the day than his other teammates. Johnson gets to Community Field, where the Bees play their home games, around noon and gets home around midnight, she said.

In addition, Wilson said Johnson gets more confident with every swing and she was impressed with how hard he worked during the offseason.

"His approach is something he takes very seriously," Wilson said. "When he got caught stealing for the first time this season, it was a tough night."

In the past Johnson said he had been in the one, two and nine positions of the batting lineup.

However, Johnson said he has also filled the three-hole position for the Bees in several games this year.

"It’s a different adjustment hitting with guys on base," Johnson said. "You see more breaking balls and fastballs. You might see one to two good pitches."

Johnson said it is special to wear the Burlington jersey and he believes he can make it to the big leagues if he continues to work hard.

"Iowa is a blessing and no one can take that from me," Johnson said.

vCash
    I was never a Cowgill fan, so to get something for him is a plus imo, this guy has some speed and on base skills. Could be no more than an organizational player, but maybe he can be more.

vCash
    Fan favorite here in Utah. I actually do alot of promotions with the Owls and he was fun to watch last season. Very fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    Small deal. Johnson wasn't even on the Angels top 20 prospects.

Hopefully the Mets make a big splash soon. They need a big bat. If they don't, hopefully they deal Niese or Gee for a top prospect.
    I see we are cursed rooting for the same teams. Three teams one Championship in 40 years. OUCH.

vCash
    So basically, the Mets trade Cowgirl for a minor leaguer who they passed on 25 times last year. That ought to tell you how little they thought of Cowgirl.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    "Confidence is enormous for me," Johnson said.
    It's crucial to have enormous confidence from your Johnson.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Anyone is better than Cowgill

vCash
    This is a sad day in Mets land.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I mention early in the season Cowgill was Eamus part 2.

Yeah.

vCash
    So it was pretty much Jefry Marte for this guy... Fail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast