Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pelicans may try swiping Cope in big deal

Knicks free agent Chris Copeland could fly the coop for the Big Easy to become a Pelican, The Post has learned.

According to an NBA source, the newly named New Orleans Pelicans are planning to make a strong bid for the 6-foot-9 sniper as they are well under the salary cap and can make an offer that will blow Knicks owner James Dolan out of the water.

The Knicks can match any Copeland offer since he is a restricted free agent, but only up to $3.1 million — their mini mid-level exception. Since the Pelicans are under the cap, they can easily top that number.

The Pelicans are thin at small forward, having started Al-Farouq Aminu this season. The former Hornets love the inside-outside game Copeland displayed as a Knicks rookie out of the Ethias League in Belgium.

The new rules of the collective bargaining agreement penalizing luxury-taxpayers could very well end the Knicks’ chances of keeping Copeland. Under the old CBA, the Knicks’ mid-level exception was $5.5 million to sign a free agent. But the taxpayers’ mid-level is just $3.18 million now.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh also has interest in Copeland after watching him in the playoff series against Indiana. But Indiana is not under the salary cap. Copeland has stated his strong preference is to remain a Knick, but the financial situation may make that impossible.

The Post first reported Copeland was seeking “Steve Novak money’’ — four years, $16 million.

In anticipation of Copeland’s possible departure, the Knicks worked out their former 3-point ace Shawne Williams yesterday.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...lIVy89DzhSBapJ

vCash
    That's nice they can have him.

vCash
    not 4 mil per. he's only played 1 season. I'd sign him for 3 years 10 mil

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNumber37 View Post
    not 4 mil per. he's only played 1 season. I'd sign him for 3 years 10 mil
    I wouldnt even give him the mini mid level...he get vet minimum and that's it, if not let someone else overpay. He ain't worth more than 1.8 mil per.

vCash
    Not really sure what Copeland's worth. Kid is obviously talented and we know he can do damage given 30 minutes a game. A good chance someone will make a small bet on him that will probably pay off.
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash

Pelicans may try swiping Cope in big deal

He is gone. I like cope but I wouldn't give him more than the minimum.

vCash
    1.5 million/2 years with player option sounds reasonable

6deep is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Good for Copeland. Get that paper!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 6deep View Post
    Good for Copeland. Get that paper!
    I don't have a issue with someone getting there paper as long its not the Knicks doing it.

vCash
    I cant believe we had a lockout with the owners crying that they're not making any profits.
    These idiots just want to throw money around on unproven guys then complain when it doesn't workout for them. We're being punished right now because of their stupid mistakes and cant improve our team in any way.

Just looking at our free agents the last couple of years. Feilds, Lin get rediculous contracts. Now Copeland will likely get one. These teams are over paying for bench warmers and when it doesnt work out they'll be blaming us.

This is complete BS.

vCash
    Why not S/T Copeland for Robin Lopez? If the Pelicans lol are that interested in Copeland. Lopez seems to be the odd man out in New Orleans anyway.

vCash
    I like Cope but he is already 30 years old and I wouldn't give him much money.

6deep is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Jared Zwerling @JaredZwerling
    Just in: #Knicks have made a qualifying offer to Copeland for 1 year at $988,872. Cope has until July 23 to accept. Other teams interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnickVeteran View Post
    Why not S/T Copeland for Robin Lopez? If the Pelicans lol are that interested in Copeland. Lopez seems to be the odd man out in New Orleans anyway.
    bingo...that's what ive been saying

vCash
    Yup I'm not a Knicks fan but definitely let him leave if he wants that much money. He has a shot to contend here in New York! He won't contend at all with them

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast