Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: "Jaws" none too impressed with Matt Flynn.

James Dator, SB Nation, 06/24/13

The Oakland Raiders made cost-cutting moves this offseason, shedding themselves of veteran Carson Palmer and looking to move forward with Matt Flynn, who was acquired from the Seattle Seahawks. The 28-year-old Flynn was once seen as a potential franchise QB waiting in the wings, but Ron Jaworski isn't sold on his ability.

During his process of ranking the league's signal callers, Jaworski was least impressed with the Raiders QB. In many ways Flynn's situation is similar to Matt Cassel, whose limited arm strength let him down when the Kansas City Chiefs were convinced he could be their franchise player.

"The more throws I watched, the more his arm strength limitations were evident," Jaworski said. "... In fact, I was concerned that his few deep balls lost energy at the back end. They had a tendency to die."

The Seattle Seahawks believed in Flynn as Oakland does now, but were let down in the 2012 preseason. Flynn showed glaring inconsistencies, finishing the preseason with 204 yards, one touchdown and one interception. The Seahawks were bailed out last year byRussell Wilson, and there's a chance the Raiders could have luck with a Wilson of their own: they selected Tyler Wilson out of Arkansas with their fourth-round pick.

It's expected that Flynn and Wilson will compete for the job, but a lack of arm strength could decide the job quickly.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    That's okay, the Raiders haven't had a decent long ball offense since... Jeff George maybe? Even if he managed to go deep and stretch the field, Moore may be the only one who would be able to come down with it.

This is like complaining that your car has an underpowered 4 cylinder, meanwhile you've got 3 bald tires, one spare, and 3rd gear is broken.
    PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW COACH OF YOUR OAKLAND RAIDERS.....

vCash
    This trucking guy is still seeing Rod Martin in his nightmares thirty years later........oh and Florez and Plunkett hoisting the Lombardi trophy through his tears.

He should know a thing or two about crappy qb's though cause it takes one to know one I guess.......guy has choked more than Linda Lovelace in his career!!!
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Well!!!.... I guess it's time for me to suit up...lol.

vCash
    Tell me something I didn't know. Flynn is average and isn't a franchise qb. Reggie's dumbest move so far. Pryor better take the job if not wilson. Dennis Allen better put the best player in and not go with favorites.

vCash
    Jaws is an idiot

vCash
    This should surprise nobody I've been saying this from day 1.

The PSD's Mack-Donald's Crew (formerly the Sheldon Richardson Crew) Members: Raidaz4life, raiderposting, HunterNRoss, N. Cog Neato, RaiderKid318, theGhost-isGone, NYRaiderLove, raiderizer, weeman323, RaJAxTWa, laek, Wolfe-Raider

vCash
    Also later on ESPN they were crapping on our wr's and te's which is fine but they had their facts wrong they said Moore and ford are the projected starters when streater should be there instead of ford and then they said gordon is the starter when its actually ausberry.

vCash
    Talk is cheap, and plentiful this time of year. It remains to be seen.

But I'll take this situation over two more years of overpaying Palmer everyday. What goes on between the ears if far more important to being a good QB than a golden arm.

I'm so very tired of this offseason already. Its a piece of bubblegum that has been chewed to death.

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Jaws is an idiot
    The Arena Football Team that Jaws owns is not even that great so he shuold not be talking ***** about any of our players. Just because he use to be a QB himself doesn't make him a good talent evaluator. I'm pretty sure he loved JRuss coming out of college...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Jaws is an idiot
    C'mon Fish, I really don't like Jaws (as an announcer he DOGS the S&B), but I do find his QB breakdowns to be accurate. I really think Reggie is/was reaching on flynn. His dedication to being right when Flynn was drafted, not Flynn being good, seems to have driven this decision, ala Al with JaFloppness. That said, we need a short pass, eat up the clock, got the first down, get the YAC offense. Peyton doesn't throw deep every series.

I liked Superglue's analogy, you got a broke down hoopty, and you're wooried the motor will only do 85, but you want to do 100.

All that said, I don't think Flynn is the answer. The run game is, we need to be able to run the ball effectively. then hit a few receivers or TE's. I would be happiest if we had a series that goes 80 yds. in 10 plays for a TD, and never even attempt a throw!! that's when you know your O can do what it wants!!

vCash
    Funny how Jaws had Matt ranked 27th last year and now he's 32nd. Anyways, arm strength is nice, but there are several great QB's who didn't possess arm strength......they did just fine. Proof will be in his play not on paper or in a studio.

vCash
    If I thought that anyone in the Raider front office believed that Flynn is a franchise QB, I'd be worried. Look at his contract. Two years, and not a lot of money for a starting QB. They view him as a bridge between now and when our real franchise QB takes over. Wilson gets the first chance to be that guy next season.

vCash
    Wilson
    Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

vCash
    He only ranked 32nd because Jaws didn't rate backups!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast