Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Matt Harvey merits starting All-Star Game

PHILADELPHIA -- Dwight Gooden is the most recent Met to have started an All-Star Game on the mound.

He will not hold that distinction much longer, perhaps.

After tossing another six scoreless innings Sunday in an 8-0 win against the Philadelphia Phillies, Matt Harvey continued to demonstrate he merits the starting nod for the National League for the July 16 game in his home ballpark, Citi Field.

A Met has started the All-Star Game on three previous occasions: Gooden in 1986 and 1988 and Tom Seaver in 1970.

“It would be huge, but we’re still playing now. We’ve still got a long way to go,” Harvey said after Sunday’s two-hit effort over six scoreless innings. “I’ve got another start Friday or Saturday to worry about. [Starting the All-Star Game is] one of those things I can’t make a decision on. So I’ll prepare for Friday or Saturday, and, hopefully, the performance will take care of itself.”

Said David Wright, who has overtaken Pablo Sandoval for the NL vote lead at third base: “I think that by now you’re kind of running out of things to say -- good things. He might be DHing for us in Chicago. It’s Matt Harvey. He’s been doing this all year. So there’s nothing you can say about him now that you haven’t said before. He went out there and dominated again today.”

Harvey, who has a bevy of no-decisions because of a lack of run support, improved to 7-1 with 2.05 ERA with Sunday’s victory at Citizens Bank Park.

His ERA ranks second in the NL, trailing only Pittsburgh’s Jeff Locke (2.01). Harvey’s 121 strikeouts, 0.88 WHIP and .188 opponents’ batting average all lead the league.

NL manager Bruce Bochy recently acknowledged if the decision is close, giving the nod to Harvey because the game is in Queens should be a factor.

The last pitcher to start in his home ballpark was Roger Clemens in 2004 in Houston.

“Now, I also believe that whoever deserves to go, whoever deserves to start that game should get that,” Bochy told SiriusXM. “But all things even, then I think you look at something like that -- a guy that’s in his hometown pitching.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...-all-star-game

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

Nypost
    PHILADELPHIA — Scouts have seen it all. I sat with four of them yesterday during Matt Harvey’s dominating performance against the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park, and even they were amazed by the young powerful right-hander.
    “I want to know who were the six guys drafted ahead of Harvey?’’ one scout demanded.
    “Harvey is a lot like [Justin] Verlander,’’ complimented another, “but there is one big difference now, he can go at a better pace than Verlander.’’
    There is no stopping Harvey. He upped his record to 7-1 with the Mets’ 8-0 win over the Phillies as he produced six shutout innings, allowing only two hits and one walk as he struck out six. A rain storm got him out of the game.
    This was an outing that had “All-Star Game starter’’ written all over it as Harvey’s ERA dipped to 2.05.
    “It would be huge,’’ Harvey said of an All-Star start at Citi Field.
    The scouts weren’t the only ones making Verlander comparisons.
    “Verlander jumps out because he holds his velocity like Verlander does through the game,’’ Phils third baseman Michael Young explained. “Felix [Hernandez] was like that for a long time. But Verlander jumps out with good velocity and he can throw off-speed pitches for strikes, too. Command is the most important thing. There are a lot of guys in the big leagues that throw hard. [Harvey] can control his pitches and gets ahead in the count. That’s why he’s had his success.’’
    That’s some company — Verlander and King Felix.
    Harvey left opposing hitters mumbling.
    He dropped a curveball on Jimmy Rollins to start the bottom of the first and then struck out Rollins in that at-bat with another curve that fell off the table.
    “Jimmy is a good fastball hitter,’’ catcher John Buck told The Post. “Him being a student of the game and a good fastball hitter, I didn’t want him jumping on a fastball, so I talked to Harv and I have as much confidence in that [curve] that he’ll throw it for a strike as I do in his fastball, so I said, ‘Hey, let’s do it.’
    “That pitch let all their hitters know that we could do this if we want,’’ Buck added. “Then we went changeup, fastball and curveball again to Jimmy.’’
    Rollins’ response was typical of the comments that Buck has been hearing from opposing hitters after one of Harvey’s devastating sliders, fastballs or curves finishes them off. It is usually one word.
    No, not that word. This word: “Really?’’
    They are amazed.
    Harvey was throwing his slider at 91-93 again. “He throws what I call a true slider,’’ said an AL scout. “It’s not a cutter, it’s a slider with that late, hard break.’’
    After Harvey got Rollins on that 83-mph curveball he struck out Domonic Brown with a 99-mph fastball in the second. He ended that inning with another swinging strikeout of Ben Revere with an 0-2, 100-mph pitch.
    “Yeah, I let that one go,’’ Harvey said with a smile.
    In the third Harvey finished off opposing pitcher John Lannan with a 98 mph rocket. He got Brown again in the fourth with an up-and-in at 99 and his last K came on a 91-mph slider that simply overmatched Young.
    “He’s a freak,’’ said one scout who was seeing Harvey for the first time. “You can just see from his body language how competitive he is.’’
    When Ryan Howard managed a broken-bat single to lead off the second he went to first base and muttered something along the lines of: “His [bleeping] curveball is breaking my bat.’’
    When asked what was his favorite Harvey pitch of the day, Buck smiled and said: “Any pitch that got me closer to that dugout. It was hot out there. They were all that good.’’
    The six players picked ahead of Harvey in that 2010 draft were Bryce Harper, Jameson Taillon, Manny Machado, Christian Colon, Drew Pomeranz and Barret Loux.
    Matt Harvey continues to be the talk of MLB.

vCash
    nice quote from Bochy. It would happen if the AS game was tomorrow. Lets see what happens this last start or two
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Terry already has stated that he won't start harvey on the sunday before the asg, so he would be on track. If Harvey keeps this up, and his numbers are on par with the other nl starters, if you are bochy do you really even have a choice on who to start?

vCash
    It's honestly a tossup between Harvey and Wainwright. After that, nobody is that close. Assuming Harvey and Wainwright maintain their pace, it'll come down to Bochy going for the hometown phenom or the veteran.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Harvey is having a better year than Wainwright imo, and the AS game being in Citi seals the deal.

vCash
    We got shafted last year with RA not starting. Hopefully Harvey gets it this year at home

vCash
    What about Kershaw? I think Harvey has earned it, but Kershaw is having a pretty great season for a bad team too. You really can't point to the records considering that Harvey is a 4.2 WAR and Kershaw is a 4.0.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Harvey is having a better year than Wainwright imo, and the AS game being in Citi seals the deal.
    Probably.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    What about Kershaw? I think Harvey has earned it, but Kershaw is having a pretty great season for a bad team too. You really can't point to the records considering that Harvey is a 4.2 WAR and Kershaw is a 4.0.
    Harvey is virtually better in every category. H/9, HR/9, BB/9, K/9, ERA, FIP, xFIP, everything.

vCash
    Wouldn't have a problem with him starting! A straight stud & he's earned it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Harvey is virtually better in every category. H/9, HR/9, BB/9, K/9, ERA, FIP, xFIP, everything.
    I'm not saying Harvey hasn't earned it so far, but there are about 4 more starts before the break for both and they're close enough that anything can happen.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I'm not saying Harvey hasn't earned it so far, but there are about 4 more starts before the break for both and they're close enough that anything can happen.
    Yeah but Harvey really hasn't had a bad start all year and he's throwing his best stuff right now. I'd bet that he has the better numbers when the time comes. He's got the Nationals on Friday night, the D-Backs next week, and the Giants on the road the week after that. He won't start on that final Sunday since he'll be pitching in the AS game.

vCash
    If it is a close decision, Harvey should get the nod simply because the game is in NY, and because TC is going to make sure Harvey is ready to throw.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yes he does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast