Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,317
    vCash
    1500

    Deacon Jones Award created to honor future NFL sack leaders



    A well-deserved honor, and quite frankly, something that should have been done to honor the great Deacon Jones while he was alive.

    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell recently called the late Deacon Jones an "icon among icons" as a charismatic keeper of the NFL flame.

    Now Goodell has come up with a permanent way to honor Jones, who is credited with coining the term quarterback "sack."

    A person informed of the league's plans tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport that the NFL's leader in sacks will receive the Deacon Jones Award beginning in 2013. The award will be among those featured in the nationally televised "NFL Honors" award show the night before the Super Bowl.

    The new award recognizing the NFL's top pass rusher was announced at Deacon Jones' memorial service in Los Angeles on Saturday.

    It's a fitting tribute to a legend once described as the inspirational leader of all Hall of Famers.

    According to NFL historian John Turney, Jones recorded at least 20 sacks in four separate seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. Buffalo Bills legend Bruce Smith might be the NFL's all-time sack leader, but Jones will always be the godfather of edge rushers.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...l-sack-leaders
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    31,535
    vCash
    0
    I like it a lot.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    I thought about posting this too. Glad someone did.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    14,654
    vCash
    1500
    Well deserved honor for Jones, I think they should go the college awards route and have a QB,RB,WR,TE,OL,DL,LB,DB,K awards all named for a legend at the position.

    A bit of fun, if they did do that, who would your awards be named for?


    Brandon Coleman Watch
    WR Rutgers University 6'6" 220 lbs
    2011: Rec: 17 Yards: 552 Avg: 32.5 TD: 6
    2012: Rec: 43 Yards: 718 Avg: 16.7 TD: 10
    2013: Rec: 28 Yards: 403 Avg: 14.4 TD: 3
    Plays with one of the worst QBs in college football...SMH

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Well deserved honor for Jones, I think they should go the college awards route and have a QB,RB,WR,TE,OL,DL,LB,DB,K awards all named for a legend at the position.

    A bit of fun, if they did do that, who would your awards be named for?
    While I understand your sentiment, how would this work? Of all the great players at each of those positions, who is the one person that gets the honor of having the award named after him? And how is that decision ever going to be made?

    This award isn't being named for Jones because he was a great defensive end, but because he coined the term "sack"

    And the award goes to the sack leader for the year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    While I understand your sentiment, how would this work? Of all the great players at each of those positions, who is the one person that gets the honor of having the award named after him? And how is that decision ever going to be made?

    This award isn't being named for Jones because he was a great defensive end, but because he coined the term "sack"

    And the award goes to the sack leader for the year.
    I think being a great player helped.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Left
    Posts
    12,292
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I thought about posting this too. Glad someone did.
    Same here. I wonder who will be awarded the first one.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    Same here. I wonder who will be awarded the first one.
    Clay Matthews obviously.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I think being a great player helped.
    Ok funny boy. Is it the Bart Starr Award? the Johnny Unitas award? the Walter Peyton Award? the Barry Sanders award?

    I just picked the 4 names that popped into my head, for each position you could probably name several different players. So how do you choose who to snub?

    I loved the way the Deacon played, I think the award being named after him is an honor well deserved. But it's an award for a statistic, not for being the best ever at his position.

    I suppose if the NFL kepts stats on how many times a RB "jiggled" his way past a defender, and if Walter had coined the term that he "jiggled" his way past people, then I can see some sense. Otherwise.......no.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Left
    Posts
    12,292
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Clay Matthews obviously.
    I was thinking Chandler Jones. It does have his name on it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Robert Mathis obviously.
    fixed it for you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    Ok funny boy. Is it the Bart Starr Award? the Johnny Unitas award? the Walter Peyton Award? the Barry Sanders award?

    I just picked the 4 names that popped into my head, for each position you could probably name several different players. So how do you choose who to snub?

    I loved the way the Deacon played, I think the award being named after him is an honor well deserved. But it's an award for a statistic, not for being the best ever at his position.

    I suppose if the NFL kepts stats on how many times a RB "jiggled" his way past a defender, and if Walter had coined the term that he "jiggled" his way past people, then I can see some sense. Otherwise.......no.
    Whoever died most recently wins.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    fixed it for you.
    We're talking about the NFL not the UFL or USFL or whatever league Mathis is in now.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    fixed it for you.
    We're talking about the NFL not the UFL or USFL or whatever league Mathis is in now.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bratislava
    Posts
    79,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    I was thinking Chandler Jones. It does have his name on it
    If I had to seriously guess I think I'd guess Von Miller or Aldon Smith.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.


    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •