Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why are people so high on Choo?

I have been wondering- when we talk about big time acquisitions moving forward, why are people so high on Choo? I see his name mentioned on these boards all the time. I do not think that he is a bad baseball player, but also do not see him as anything special, and if I was looking to turn a franchise around, I would not get all that excited about Choo. Am I missing something?

vCash
    His numbers have been falling, but they are still very good. But I hate that he can't hit LHP.

vCash
    he is a pretty high on base guy with some pop, and he can be had with out spending a ton, plus hes probably the best available outfielder, the key is aquiring the blow you away guy via trade and then adding complimentary guys (like choo) via free agency

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMETS2889 View Post
    he is a pretty high on base guy with some pop, and he can be had with out spending a ton, plus hes probably the best available outfielder, the key is aquiring the blow you away guy via trade and then adding complimentary guys (like choo) via free agency
    I agree with this. He is a nice piece to add if we have a stud, and another guy of his caliber to go along side of him. But if he is the #1 outfielder, it is still a pretty bleak outfield. Again, I am not hating on the guy. If we were a team like the Reds that added him to an already solid team, that is the way to go. But, he's not a culture-changing acquisition and it scares me that he might be viewed as such if we got him

vCash
    I'm expecting us to add multiple pieces so even if we did sign Choo he wouldn't be looked at as a savior. I see it as taking a step in the right direction. He is the best FA outfielder this off season IMO. He's said to be a hard worker never hurts to have to many of those guys. His Obp is still 425.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 06-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    I agree that he's not the impact bat that can turn this team around single-handedly. But if we do acquire a bat of that caliber, Choo would be a nice complimentary player to fill into our lineup. You gotta love his plate discipline.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Personally, I'm high on Ellsbury. He's the Michael Bourn of this FA class. We don't have a lead-off hitter, we don't have a CF, we don't have speed, and Ellsbury provides all of those things. His power numbers are a little low this year, but he's hitting .281/.347/.389 with 31 steals already and he's only been caught 3 times.

We desperately need a spark plug at the top of the line-up, and he would definitely provide it. He's also one of the more younger FA options, as he is only 29 years old compared to Choo who is 31 in a few weeks.

He's a very good defensive CF as well. People say that Ellsbury is injury prone, but he's only had 2 injuries in his career, and both were impact injuries like colliding with a teammate and breaking up a double play.

Now if we got Ellsbury, we can't just call it an off-season, we would also have to get someone else. Someone like Pence would be a very good fit here. He has right-handed pop and plays solid defense.

We could use Puello in one of our OF positions and give him a shot. His tools are as good as anyone. We could then leave Duda at 1B and have d'Arnaud at catcher. That's a pretty good offense for our pitching staff.

vCash
    Choo is overrated, and if he is our "big signing", then I quit. It sounds just like all the Jayson Werth hype years ago (and look how he turned out). I really don't want him.

Ellsbury makes a WHOLE LOT MORE SENSE. He's younger, he's a leadoff hitter, and he's got his best years coming in the next 3-4 years. Him and Pence would be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Choo is overrated, and if he is our "big signing", then I quit. It sounds just like all the Jayson Werth hype years ago (and look how he turned out). I really don't want him.

Ellsbury makes a WHOLE LOT MORE SENSE. He's younger, he's a leadoff hitter, and he's got his best years coming in the next 3-4 years. Him and Pence would be great.
    funny i feel the same way with andre eithier if thats our big move we are destined for mediocrity, its a shame but anything less then a Cargo or Stanton and im probably not going to be a happy camper

speaking of-potential package, who says no-Niese, Flores, Syndergarrd and possibly a mid level throw in for either CarGo or Stanton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMETS2889 View Post

funny i feel the same way with andre eithier if thats our big move we are destined for mediocrity, its a shame but anything less then a Cargo or Stanton and im probably not going to be a happy camper

speaking of-potential package, who says no-Niese, Flores, Syndergarrd and possibly a mid level throw in for either CarGo or Stanton
    I'll agree. I don't understand the hype for Choo, or the hype for Eithier. If they're our "big signings", then we blew a big opportunity (having young aces) to win titles.

vCash

Yup. Pence is 30 also this year, so he's got some good years left. What I like about Ellsbury is that he can hit LHP as well, so there doesn't need to be any platoon non-sense.

CF-Ellsbury
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    LF-Pence
    1B-Duda
    RF-Puello
    C-d'Arnaud
    SS-Tejada/Q/who cares

Hell they could deal Murphy for something and sign someone like Chase Utley for a few years who is better even at this stage of his career and would cost roughly the same lol. It's good to have flexibility.

vCash
    I would love to add Ellsbury via FA.

I just wonder how much he would cost.

I like him better than Bourn though and we wouldn't be losing our first round pick this time around.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    If we traded Murphy, we would be moving Flores to 2nd I would presume.

Wouldn't mind trading Murph if the right deal came along.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I would love to add Ellsbury via FA.

I just wonder how much he would cost.

I like him better than Bourn though and we wouldn't be losing our first round pick this time around.
    Yeah I like him better too and for the same reason. I think Ellsbury is a perfect fit for this ballpark and he would be a triples machine. He can cover a ton of ground in the outfield as well, the revolving door in CF would finally be over.

vCash
    gazuntite
    "Andy Dalton is an average QB. Look at the Bengals offense, it's like Noah's ark. Two of everything."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast