Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Draft Watch

1. Marlins - 22-48
    2. Astros - 27-45
    3. Mets - 27-40

Early look at top five prospects for next year's MLB draft

The dust from last week's draft has barely settled, with the three-day event concluding just 48 hours ago, but fans in Miami and Houston may already be looking ahead to the top of the 2014 draft as those teams continue their rebuilding processes.

To help us look ahead, SI.com caught up with contributor Dave Perkin, its lead draft analyst, and with Perfect Game's Allan Simpson, its director of crosschecker, for their early takes on next year's top-five draft prospects.

1. DP: Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis (Calif.) High
    Perkin likens Gatewood (6-foot-5, 190 pounds) to a young Troy Tulowitzki and calls him a "once-in-a-decade talent," noting his fastball reaches 92 mph on the mound, his "ballet-like fielding skills" and his prodigious power.

AS: Carlos Rodon, LHP, N.C. State
    Last year Rodon (6-foot-3, 234) became the first Division I freshman to be finalist for the Golden Spikes Award as college baseball's best player. This year, he is the ace of a Wolfpack team that has advanced to the College World Series. He is a coveted power lefty whose fastball sits in the mid-90s and can reach the upper 90s. He has two obviously plus pitches "His fastball can be overwhelming and dominant," Simpson said, "and he has a wipeout slider."

2. DP: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt
    Perkin said Beede (6-foot-4, 215), who declined to sign after Toronto drafted him in the first round in 2011, may benefit like Stanford's Mark Appel, the No. 1 overall pick last week whose stock improved after being drafted previously and turning down first-round money. Beede is "a smooth righty with top of the rotation stuff," Perkin said, noting "a 90-to-94 mph fastball that peaks at 95, a harsh 78-to-80 curve and a fall-off-the-table 82-to-84 changeup."

AS: Nick Burdi, RHP, Louisville
    Simpson compares Burdi (6-foot-4, 218) to Oklahoma righthander Jonathan Gray, who could hit 100 on the gun and just went No. 3 overall to the Rockies. "Burdi's done the same," Simpson said. "He's the big arm for next year." The difference, however, is that Burdi is more of a two-pitch reliever than a starter like Gray -- but a very good closer at Louisville, where he had a 0.78 ERA and an absurd 61 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings.

3. DP: Alex Jackson, C, Rancho Bernardo High in Poway, Calif.
    Jackson (6-foot-2, 200) is a well-rounded backstop. "Catching prospects," Perkin noted, "normally appear in one of two forms: Throwers who can't hit or hitters who can't throw. Jackson is the rare backstop who does both at the highest level." Perkin also pointed out Jackson's tremendous power and his ability to get the ball to second base in 1.8 seconds, which is above major league average.

AS: Beede
    Simpson also thinks highly of Beede, noting that the Vanderbilt righthander has the "most complete stuff" in next year's draft. "He might be the most projectable starter because he has three pitches that work," Simpson said.

4. DP: Rodon
    Few starters can manage a 12.9 K/9, but that's what Rodon did this year. "Subtlety and nuance are not part of his approach," Perkin said. "He attacks hitters with a mid-90's fastball and hellacious mid-to high-80's slider. After facing Rodon, hitters appear only too anxious to return to the bench."

AS: Jackson
    "His big tool is power, and he's a solid defender," Simpson said. He added that Jackson was also athletic enough to move to the outfield.

5. DP: Nicholas Gordon, SS/RHP, Olympia High in Orlando
    Gordon (6-foot-2, 175) "may be the premier two-way talent in the 2014 draft," Perkin said, noting that he throws a low-90s fastball but is also a slick-fielding shortstop with speed and quickness. "Gordon's bat will determine his future in pro ball," Perkin said. "If he hits, Gordon stays at shortstop. If not, he moves to the hill." Choice A would make him like his older brother (Dodgers shortstop Dee Gordon), and Choice B would make him like his father (former big league reliever Tom Gordon).
    (Simpson, incidentally, pegged Gordon as his No. 7 prospect, saying it's "60-40" that he ends up on the mound.)

AS: Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Academy
    Toussaint (6-foot-2, 190), who won gold with the U16 national team, stands out as a prep arm in what Simpson said is a draft class whose strength is college pitchers. "His fastball is 96-97 and he has the makings of an above-average curve," Simpson said. "He's the best high school arm at this point."

Scouts will be busy looking at 2014 Draft talent
    Summer seasons for collegians, high schoolers about to get underway

That's the when. How about the who? Obviously, summer performances will go a long way toward determining any kind of rankings for the Draft Class of 2014. But here's a quick look at an early top 20 in terms of potential high-end talent.

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State: The Wolfpack are headed to the College World Series, and Rodon is a big reason why. Even after starting slowly, the big lefty has gone 9-2 with a 3.19 ERA and 170 strikeouts in 118 1/3 innings. There is almost universal consensus that Rodon is the early choice to be No. 1 in 2014.

2. Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt: Beede, who didn't sign as a first-rounder in 2011, is a Golden Spikes Award finalist thanks to a 14-1 record, a 2.32 ERA and a .187 batting average against.

3. Alex Jackson, C, Rancho Bernardo HS, Calif.: A two-time participant in the Under Armour game, Jackson has some serious raw power from the right side and is a good leader with an accurate arm.

4. Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs Christian HS, Fla.: This Florida prepster is very athletic with a ton of arm strength, using a clean delivery to fire fastballs that can touch the mid-90s to go along with a hard downer curve.

5. Aaron Nola, RHP, Louisiana State: What's a Draft class without a top LSU arm? Nola was LSU's Friday starter this year, going 12-0 with a 1.68 ERA, striking out nearly a batter per inning while holding hitters to a .187 BAA.

6. Trea Turner, SS, N.C. State: He's a shortstop who can stay there, a leadoff hitter extraordinaire with plus-plus speed that allowed him to steal 84 bases in his first two seasons of college ball.

7. Nick Gordon, RHP/SS, Olympia HS, Fla.: The son of Tom and brother of Dee, Gordon is a legitimate two-way guy who can play shortstop and hit from the left side. He's athletic on the mound, too, with a low-90s fastball and a big curve.

8. Michael Cederoth, RHP, San Diego State: The 6-foot-6 right-hander's numbers this year weren't outstanding, thanks largely to some command issues, but he did strike out 109 in 95 1/3 innings and sported an upper-90s fastball at times.

9. Nick Burdi, RHP, Louisville: It's not often a college closer gets ranked this highly, but Burdi reportedly hit triple digits during the 2013 season, striking out 61 in 34 2/3 innings.

10. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton HS, Ga.: This year's Draft was partly about the outfielders in Georgia. Cease will make 2014 about pitching, as the right-hander has a loose, electric arm that touched 97 mph this past spring to go along with a good breaking ball and a feel for a changeup.

The rest of the top 20:

11. Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis HS, Calif.
    12. Brady Aiken, LHP, Cathedral Catholic HS, Calif.
    13. Michael Gettys, OF/RHP, Gainesville HS, Ga.
    14. Derek Fisher, OF, Virginia
    15. Kel Johnson, OF, Home schooled, Ga.
    16. Michael Kopech, RHP, Mt. Pleasant HS, Texas
    17. Justus Sheffield, LHP, Tullahoma HS, Tenn.
    18. Jack Flaherty, RHP/3B, Harvard Westlake HS, Calif.
    19. Mike Conforto, OF, Oregon St.
    20. Luke Weaver, RHP, Florida State
    Dee Gordon's brother Nick Gordon goes to the high school I graduated from. Maybe I should take a trip across town for a game, he could legitimately be a Met next year.
    Last edited by Sandman; 06-19-2013 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    Hopefully we draft a good bat or ace
    Last edited by Rique; 06-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.

vCash
    I want Gatewood, Rodon, Jackson, or Turner. I don't care about what we have so far... Best player available. Even if Gatewood and Turner are SS and we have Gavin, they are best talent available. Same for Jackson, even with D'Arnaud.

Rodon is probably ideal though, LHP are awesome.

vCash
    I'm not going to look too closely at the names yet. I also don't think we'll be selecting 3rd overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I'm not going to look too closely at the names yet. I also don't think we'll be selecting 3rd overall.
    I hope we do
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

THE WORLD IS YOURS CHICO! KENNY VACCARO BABY!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akay47 View Post
    I hope we do
    Now that Wheeler is here and the rotation is pitching well, we probably won't. I hope we select within the Top 8 picks. If we somehow slipped out of the Top 10, I'd be pissed.

vCash
    Hate me, I hope we lose every game. Draft Alex Jackson as a of'er. Trade syndergaard, montero, flores for Stanton.

Solid core of

Wright
    Harvey
    Stanton
    Jackson
    Wheeler
    D'arnud
    Murphy
    Davis (if he can get back on track)
    Tejada (same as Davis)

Just go out and look for a speedy Reyes type lead off man and sign some arms and fielders.
    My team, my city.

vCash
    At this point, I hope Wheeler/Harvey pitch lights out but I can care less about the rest of the rotation. Maybe Niese, but I'd just rather we select in the top 5, get another solid young prospect who can make an impact within the next 2 years and then build around him, Wheeler, TDA, Harvey, Wright, Syndergaard, etc.
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Now that Wheeler is here and the rotation is pitching well, we probably won't. I hope we select within the Top 8 picks. If we somehow slipped out of the Top 10, I'd be pissed.
    Trade Parnell and I can assure you we stay in the top 3.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Give me Beede, Rodon, or Jackson and I will be happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Trade Parnell and I can assure you we stay in the top 3.
    We won't. I think we'll pick #6. That's what my gut tells me.

vCash
    If a team blows you away you wouldn't trade Bobby?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    If a team blows you away you wouldn't trade Bobby?
    Doesn't matter what I would do, I don't think Sandy will do it.

vCash
    I hope we don't trade Bobby. I think he's got a future in the bullpen. However, if we get a significant piece in return from a contending team who desperately needs a closer, that's a different story. We are in no rush to deal Parnell, he's finally showing signs of being a solid closer and the only bright spot of our bullpen this season. Trading him for scraps would be a huge mistake.
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I want Gatewood, Rodon, Jackson, or Turner. I don't care about what we have so far... Best player available. Even if Gatewood and Turner are SS and we have Gavin, they are best talent available. Same for Jackson, even with D'Arnaud.

Rodon is probably ideal though, LHP are awesome.
    Agree on top four prospects...to get there all SA has to do is trade Byrd in late July for a decent high risk high reward minor leaguer and the offense will sputter enough to lose 93 games despite a solid 1-4 rotation. By September we will throw Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Montero and Gee...the future is now. Sign Elsbury or Choo and Pence...yes they can afford it....we have $55m coming off the books...and that rotation with Elsbury, Murphy, Wright, Davis (if he finds his stroke), Pence, Duda, D'Arnaud, Tejada (if he finds his stroke)....we can be a contender. The Nats went from 66 wins to 85 to 97 very quickly....so can we!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast