Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should we have kept Jeremy Lin afterall?

With kidd retiring we are thin at PG position.

If we had kept him at least we would still have a young starting PG for our foreseeable future and some young talent along with shumpert to build towards.

Thoughts?

6deep is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Yep we should have... I had no problem with Kidd in year 1, but I said it was going to blow up in our face in year 2... and it has... look how desperate we are for a PG now. Lin would have been the perfect change of pace combo guard for us.

And if anything, Lin & Shump together could have gotten us quite the package back.

But no we didn't want to pay him $25m... we'd prefer to offer Nash $27m, and pay Novak, Camby & Kidd a combined $36m!

the thing that makes it worse is that was our last chance to "cheat" the cap so to say and spend money over the cap... now we are so handcuffed to sign anyone... we had the chance to spend and we just blew it.

Another reason we'll regret it is we had to trade Kostas for Felton... Kostas is one of the rising young players in Europe... could turn into another Gallo... not to mention two 2nd round picks that we could really use this year... and our cash that we could have used last year to buy a pick

There were so many downsides to not matching... i still look back at that in shock.
    Last edited by nycericanguy; 06-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 6deep View Post
    Not sure why u are face palming here. It's a question that should be asked seeing how most of our old vets that we wasted money on didn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Yep we should have... I had no problem with Kidd in year 1, but I said it was going to blow up in our face in year 2... and it has... look how desperate we are for a PG now. Lin would have been the perfect change of pace combo guard for us.

And if anything, Lin & Shump together could have gotten us quite the package back.

But no we didn't want to pay him $25m... we'd prefer to offer Nash $27m, and pay Novak, Camby & Kidd a combined $36m!

the thing that makes it worse is that was our last chance to "cheat" the cap so to say and spend money over the cap... now we are so handcuffed to sign anyone... we had the chance to spend and we just blew it.

Another reason we'll regret it is we had to trade Kostas for Felton... Kostas is one of the rising young players in Europe... could turn into another Gallo... not to mention two 2nd round picks that we could really use this year... and our cash that we could have used last year to buy a pick

There were so many downsides to not matching... i still look back at that in shock.
    wow u are right on so many points, I completely agree with you that it was our last chance to match the signings so that we could have kept our players while we were over the cap. What's funny is that we probably would have paid millions in taxes, but it was possible to do all we did (sign felton, camby, kidd if I am not mistaken) AND kept Lin and even Fields (but he sucks).

If we had done that, we'd have more depth. Let's just say Kidd stays for a year, mentors Lin and felton and we'd be good going forward.

I'm sure Lin could have started at SG while shump was hurt, so there could have been enough mins going around with maybe kidd off the bench.

vCash
    Tired of this debate. Tired that anyone can debate it other than in retrospect 5 years from now. Its was a dumb move then and will continue to be a dumb forever, regardless of how he turns out
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_bladen View Post
    With kidd retiring we are thin at PG position.

If we had kept him at least we would still have a young starting PG for our foreseeable future and some young talent along with shumpert to build towards.

Thoughts?

Lin is not a "BUILDING" block though. He's a back up/fill in NBA PG at best. Why are we regretting not signing our back up PG to 25 million dollars?

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post

It still baffles me that people try to defend it. Whats worst is most people just don't get it. Most casual fans kept regurgitating **** they heard on the radio about how much over the cap we would be and how it would limit our flexibility. Not paying attention to the fact that there was no way for us to get under the cap during his three years regardless of signing him or not.

Great marketing or whatever it was. People were actually defending Dolan's wallet.

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post
    Lin is not a "BUILDING" block though. He's a back up/fill in NBA PG at best. Why are we regretting not signing our back up PG to 25 million dollars?
    You cant substantiate that claim. And I'd let him start over Felton. And who cares if its 15 or 25, they would have all expired at the same time

Also hell of a lot easier to trade than some of the other crap we have on our roster

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    I didnt really like Lin and I think we can all agree that Felton has been better.
    Please dont look at the stats and say they're similar because they're not, Felton was much better this year.

I didn't like wasting our Midlevel exception on Kid. His quickness was gone, he wasn't a point guard at that point. This had Woodson written all over it. I though we wasted the Midlevel on Kid instead of signing a player that we'd have for a couple for years like Foye. I thought a better move would've been keeping Lin signing Felton with the Midlevel and keeping the kid from Greece.

Woodson needs to take some of the blame for our failures and all the holes that we have on our roster. This guys just wanted old experienced players. The old roster and his stuburness along with the lack of adjustments led to our down fall.

vCash
    Ugh, here we go again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG-NYC View Post
    I didnt really like Lin and I think we can all agree that Felton has been better.
    Please dont look at the stats and say they're similar because they're not, Felton was much better this year.

I didn't like wasting our Midlevel exception on Kid. His quickness was gone, he wasn't a point guard at that point. This had Woodson written all over it. I though we wasted the Midlevel on Kid instead of signing a player that we'd have for a couple for years like Foye. I thought a better move would've been keeping Lin signing Felton with the Midlevel and keeping the kid from Greece.

Woodson needs to take some of the blame for our failures and all the holes that we have on our roster. This guys just wanted old experienced players. The old roster and his stuburness along with the lack of adjustments led to our down fall.
    No we can't. And if we're not comparing stats what are we comparing? Ray was on a championship contender surrounded by mature players. Lin was on the youngest team in the NBA.

I thought Ray was good for like a month, sucked for like three, was okay for one, was good in the first round and a non factor in the second.

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    It wasn't about Felton or Lin it was Felton & Lin... I would have had Lin come off the bench because he can drive and can pass, he's not perfect but he can be serviceable

& guys saying 25 million, all we had to do was keep our mouth shut until official contracts could have been signed and got for 4 years/28 million with 18 million guaranteed but we had to say something just to make an excuse to not sign him

vCash
    Imagine the things Jeremy Lin could have learned from Kidd, Sheed, Martin, Camby, Richardson, etc... Just being around those guys would have made him more mature and increased his toughness

vCash
    Lin was overhyped. Let it go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    No we can't. And if we're not comparing stats what are we comparing? Ray was on a championship contender surrounded by mature players. Lin was on the youngest team in the NBA.

I thought Ray was good for like a month, sucked for like three, was okay for one, was good in the first round and a non factor in the second.
    I still think Felton is the better fit for this team. If it came down to one or the other I would still take Felton > Lin. Lin and his turnovers + inability to run half court sets effectively yet wouldn't mesh well with our roster. Lin is a turnover machine while we were the best TO team in the league, he can't make an entry pass to save his life. We don't have a guy like Harden who can play PG when the ball pressure gets too much for Lin. I think Ray and Lin are pretty close to equal, they both do some things well that the other doesn't do as well, but all in all I think Ray is a better for for this roster as starting PG.

But all that said, nobody can deny getting Felton AND keeping Lin would have been the best thing we could have done and we'd be way better off right now. They would have actually complimented eachother very nicely, Felton to run the half court offense, make the proper passes to Melo in his spots, run pick and roll with Tyson. Lin off the bench to push a frantic pace, live at the FT line and hit the break with JR filling the lanes and Novak trailing for 3.

For whatever reason, I don't think keeping both was ever an option and I think Felton was a plan B we had in our back pocket in case things with Lin went south. I don't think Ray would have accepted a S and T to be Lin's potential backup or be the guy in the shadows of Linsanity. I don't think Kidd would have came if the perception was he would be the 3rd string PG. Don't think Knicks ever considered having all 3.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 06-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast