Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Bob Costas rips Mets for walk-off celebration!

After The Mets celebrated their walk-off 3 run HR against the Cubs, Costas said this:

"And the team 14 games under .500 celebrates as if it just won the seventh game of the world series. Another indication of the ongoing decline of Western civilization"
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...f-win/2431321/

Brutal! He made this comment during the golf telecast but later apologized to the Mets PR personnel saying "I didn't mean any harm". Mets just can't catch a break.
    El Oso Blanco

2. 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
    Reason
    No politics here please, we have a forum for that

3. 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post

vCash
    When you have a few wins as the Mets do and the prospect of winning more than 70 games is as improbable as it is for the Mets, they should celebrate and relish every single win as if it were the last win of the season.
    As per Bob Costas, he's the most melodramatic broadcaster I've ever heard. I basically take every word out of his mouth with a handful of salt.

vCash
    I'm a Mets fan and at this stage I enjoy this negative attention. Every time the team gets ripped It highlights the need for new ownership and puts pressure on Selig to do the WIlpons the way he did McCourt. Bring it on. The team is a laughingstock

vCash
    I've always been neutral on Bob Costas. Guy's a decent enough sportscaster but its comments like this that give me a lukewarm reception towards him.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

7. 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    Ok, I didn't realize this was a politically motivated statement by Costas. But thanks for clearing that up
    everyone know that the mets represnt republicans...or was it democrats.

vCash
    I've always thought the walk-off celebration was stupid unless it was in a meaningful game. It annoys the hell out of me when the Cubs do it. Everyone gets in a circle around the guy who just hit a weak sac fly, and jump together in unison. All because of a game that moved them up to a .408 winning percentage. It's embarrassing to watch.
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

vCash
    I don't care if you are 10-70.

You can celebrate all you want for a walk-off.

I just don't like it when people celebrate and the game isn't over yet. That annoys me. When the game is over though, celebrate all you want (with some respect to the opposing team).

vCash
    It's a moot point really because Costas apologized to the Mets after the fact.

He knew he was wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ogizes-to-mets

Broadcaster Bob Costas phoned Mets PR man Jay Horwitz on Monday morning to say he "didn't mean any harm" when he criticized the Mets' walk-off celebration Sunday, Horwitz revealed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoggin88 View Post
    I've always thought the walk-off celebration was stupid unless it was in a meaningful game. It annoys the hell out of me when the Cubs do it. Everyone gets in a circle around the guy who just hit a weak sac fly, and jump together in unison. All because of a game that moved them up to a .408 winning percentage. It's embarrassing to watch.
    That's team building though.

Every game matters, every win helps move you up. Start doing that a bit, and the season can change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That's team building though.

Every game matters, every win helps move you up. Start doing that a bit, and the season can change.
    ESPN magazine has an article in the most recent issue about how the Astros' new GM had them practice their handshake line during spring training to boost morale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    ESPN magazine has an article in the most recent issue about how the Astros' new GM had them practice their handshake line during spring training to boost morale.
    Yeah.

I'd hate the idea of being on a team. And it's looked down to be proud/celebrate a win just because we are a bad team overall.

Then what's the point in playing for a last place team? I mean, it's already depressing enough. You should enjoy/celebrate when things go well.

vCash
    Costas needs to learn how to shut his mouth. This isn't the first time something stupid has found its way out of Bob's mouth.

vCash
    where the hell did this come from this whole thing is so weird, but im laughing so hard at it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    where the hell did this come from this whole thing is so weird, but im laughing so hard at it
    It's because Bob Costas has a stick up his ***.

It's that old "its a disgrace to the game" saying that a lot of traditionalists like to throw around. When a player does something to win a game he should be allowed to celebrate with his teammates but apparently sports aren't allowed to be fun anymore.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-18-2013 at 10:48 PM.

vCash
    Which is why I laughed when my Mets fan friends were egging me on when they swept the Yanks, it's ok it's all they've got. I don't mind the players showing emotion, but it just shows how bad the situation is in Flushing when they celebrate like that after a walk off win

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast