Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Fred Wilpon Speaks

ATLANTA -- Fred Wilpon, speaking with Newsday on Monday, said he is confident in Sandy Alderson's plan for the Mets. The 76-year-old principal owner added that things should improve as big salary outlays come off the books.

"We're coming to the end of the time when we have had an overhang of players who got hurt or didn't play well, and I think that Sandy Alderson and his staff have a plan," Wilpon told the newspaper. "I know some people are impatient about it. But they do have a plan and they're executing on their plan and I think things are in the right direction. It's hard to say that when the team loses four, five in a row.

Bebeto Matthews/Associated Press
    Fred Wilpon feels your pain.

"I get it, I suffer with it. I think that we have to see that plan become successful because in today's world it's not how much money you spend -- although we have invested a lot of money. Some of it has been wasted because right now we have a [large] payroll and 50 percent of the payroll is not playing."

Wilpon was referring to Johan Santana, who is making $31 million this season with a 2014 buyout, and Jason Bay, who was bought out for $21 million, although $16 million is deferred one to two years.

"That's a shame," Wilpon told Newsday. "It might be very different if they were [available]. But that's part of life. You have to go on and see how you can address that, and I think as an organization we're addressing those needs. ...

"Turnarounds sometimes come a lot faster if the fundamental issues have been addressed. Not just dreaming a turnaround is going to happen, but if the fundamental issues have been addressed, then there's a good possibility turnarounds can occur faster than people think. ...

"This franchise is a very big part of our family," Wilpon continued. "We are as passionate as any fan out there to want to do well. We can't always pick the players, obviously. Sometimes we've done very well, people who have represented us have done very well. Sometimes they haven't. I've been around a very long time. I do get it. I try these days to have two faces of the organization and they're not mine or [son] Jeff's. They're really good representatives -- Sandy and Terry [Collins] are really good people."

[B]
    More jibberish from the absent owner. Sell the team Fred. I'm sure his one fan will hang on every word.

vCash
    Actions speak louder than words, we have been down this road before.

vCash
    I get sad everytime I hear "Johan Santana".

vCash
    Makes you want to reach for a Kleenex.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    awww Fred, poor little rich man.

vCash
    Yada yada yada...

vCash
    Everything these idiots say makes me hate them more, just shut up already please... unless you're going to actually DO something then just shut up...
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

vCash
    Posts like these make my righteousness grow stronger.

vCash
    Not to defend Fred, but this is the first time in recent years I've heard FO and ownership claim (so emphatically) there will be major "win now" changes to the roster. This is also the first time in recent years we have had $40 million or so coming off the books. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm just praying we don't see guys like Ethier in Queens next season.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Not to defend Fred, but this is the first time in recent years I've heard FO and ownership claim (so emphatically) there will be major "win now" changes to the roster. This is also the first time in recent years we have had $40 million or so coming off the books. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm just praying we don't see guys like Ethier in Queens next season.
    Not true, they had 50+ come off after 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Posts like these make my righteousness grow stronger.
    There he is the one Wilpon fans. Have you guys set a date yet LOL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon88 View Post
    There he is the one Wilpon fans. Have you guys set a date yet LOL?
    Dont worry sir, if people attack you unjustly I'll be in your corner.

vCash
    I like the pronouns being used... they have a plan... sandy and "his" staff...

It SOUNDS like he's taking the back seat role he should have a long time ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I like the pronouns being used... they have a plan... sandy and "his" staff...

It SOUNDS like he's taking the back seat role he should have a long time ago.
    He has been saying stuff like this forever.

vCash
    I got a big bag of for Fred and his idiot son. Sell and be gone.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast