Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Pau "The Spaniard" Gasol

When it is all said and done, no matter if he finishes his career off with the Lakers or gets traded elsewhere, will his jersey be retired next to the Kareems and Shaqs etc of this world?

My cousin and I had this argument the other day and I was just curious. My argument is that he literally helped saved this franchise from mediocrity and help deliver 2 championships playing at an all-star level. His counterargument was that he hasn't been a Laker "long enough" and that the Lakers are a very picky team when it comes to retiring jerseys.

Let's hear your thoughts my fellow Laker supporters.

vCash
    As much as I love Pau & I thank him for everything he did... I do not think he will get his number retired, too many things are against him. He hasn't played that long in LA & its not like he was finals MVP & just was unstoppable.. He did help us win but it won't be enough. Especially as poor as he's played in the last couple years

vCash
    I understand but when you look at the likes of Goodrich and Worthy, you have to consider Gasol in their as well, right? Believe me I'm the number 1 criticizer of Gasol's game at times. I even called him Gasolina on a few occasions for obvious reasons, but his numbers have been delicious even though he has under-performed the last couple of years and he's been a consistent all-star throughout. IDK I'm trying to justify retiring his jersey. Maybe he'll help his case in his last few years with us, assuming he doesn't change clubs.

vCash
    I feel like we owe it to him considering how much crap we put him through--though some is warranted.

He came in at a time that really resurrected us. I'd say yes.

vCash
    i'll be happy if his number gets retired...

PLAN B

SIM LEAGUE NETS

vCash
    I would happy too if it was.. I'm just saying I doubt that it will

vCash
    This is a really hard one to judge but if he stays here until he retires then probably yes but if he leaves this off-season or next unless they win another title I'd say no.
    Hey Dave Abbott what should the Lakers do this season? Uh Duh TANK

vCash
    Back to back deserves respect. If they completed the three-peat, or won 3 out of 4 or something, I think his jersey is retired. At this point, no.

If the Lakers pull off a ring this upcoming season with Pau being one of the guys, I would give it to him.
    Tanking is the act of giving up a match or "throwing it away", losing intentionally or not competing.

This is not tanking...

Podcast

vCash
    The wall is reserved for Lakers in the HOF and Pau will be in the HOF. His immediate contribution and impact to the team in getting the Lakers to 3 straight Finals is deserving of his jersey being retired. The minute he put on the Lakers uniform, he fit in perfectly.

I would definitely love for his jersey to get retired and it should be retired. I mean Jamaal Wilkes got his and only played 2 more seasons, so far, than Pau while winning the same amount of championships.

The Future

vCash
    I've been wondering about this too during this season. I think Pau will be up there in the rafters with the other Laker greats Kobe included at the time. The Lakers really only have 2 conditions that need to be met to be up there: 1. Play a major role for the Lakers and 2. Make the Hall of Fame.

1. Pau has been in a major role for the Lakers ever since he got here and led us to 3 straight final appearances and 2 championships.

2. Pau will be in the Hall of Fame with just his international accolades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pau_Gasol (go down to his awards and honors and it's a long list of achievements overseas)

I even think that if he is traded he will still one day get recognized up there like Shaq was. He may not have been the MVP of the finals that Shaq was but without Gasol the Lakers do not win back to back titles. I think he deserves it and he still wants to be here even though he gets a lot of grief, I think he's earned it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
    I feel like we owe it to him considering how much crap we put him through--though some is warranted.

He came in at a time that really resurrected us. I'd say yes.
    How many titles did Wilt and Jerry get, Gasol was a big part of two championships. Also think about the number, not a lot of #16s retired or the jersey number itself being popular so yeah, he deserves it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd420 View Post
    How many titles did Wilt and Jerry get, Gasol was a big part of two championships. Also think about the number, not a lot of #16s retired or the jersey number itself being popular so yeah, he deserves it
    The previous player to wear #16 for the Lakers was John Salley. llullz

The Future

vCash
    I think he should get his number retired eventually.

vCash
    Seeing stuff like this reminds me of the real Pau:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDl_Qwny5H0

But again, I say his jersey should be retired. Very unique player.

vCash
    Gasol was the reason why we won 2 championships and has been through a lot with this team. He was traded away and rumor to be traded again but he still wants to play for the lakers he didnt complain like odom or gave up on the lakers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast