Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Your first......

Met game?

Anyone have anything memorable?

My first was great. 1974 I was only 8 years old and having major issues with my ears, constantly having tubes put in to drain fluid. Anyway my mom and her friend were great Met fans and they told me we had to go into New York City to see a new doctor for my problem with my ears. We pull into into this huge parking lot and everyone is BBQ'ing wearing mets shirts, hats etc.

So my moms friend says we have to make a stop here because her father is playing in a big championship softball game and she needed to give him something before we finished the trip to the doctor. We're walking through this huge parking lot, a lot of people looking like their having a great time just talking, cooking, and drinking refreshments and I still don't get it.

Get into this huge stadium and the man at the gate hands my mom a rolled up poster and I didn't understand what it was but I wanted to see it but my mom said its for the doctor. Ok, but I knew one thing, this place looked a lot more exciting to be at than the doctor's office.

We walk through narrow tunnel and all of a sudden I see this huge field and see people dressed in Mets uniforms practicing on the field. Then I realize it's Felix Millan, and my favorite player at the time Wayne Garret. The jig was up! Anyway the game turned out to be against the Braves and the Mets were honoring Hank Aaron. Before the game started Mrs Payson I remember presented Hank with this huge wooden rocking chair. Couldn't believe it! I got to see Hank Aaron play in a baseball game.

I think the Mets lost the game but it didn't matter, I was sitting in Shea stadium at a night game. It was magical! Oh, and that poster the gate guy handed to my mom.....was an awesome Hank Aaron poster that I had for years until it finally expired.

vCash
    My family moved away from New York when I was still a baby, so my first Mets game was many years later at Shea Stadium in 2004. Got a signed ball from David Wright (got a 2nd one at a game two years later actually), but Vance Wilson's signature is on it too

vCash
    Yeah.

1968, Mets Giants doubleheader. I was 8 years old. Willie Mays hit a home run in the opener to beat the Mets. Mets had a lead in the second game when i got tired and asked my dad to take me home.

I hadn't been ruined yet. That wouldn't happen until a year later.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeharley666 View Post
    Met game?

Anyone have anything memorable?

My first was great. 1974 I was only 8 years old and having major issues with my ears, constantly having tubes put in to drain fluid. Anyway my mom and her friend were great Met fans and they told me we had to go into New York City to see a new doctor for my problem with my ears. We pull into into this huge parking lot and everyone is BBQ'ing wearing mets shirts, hats etc.

So my moms friend says we have to make a stop here because her father is playing in a big championship softball game and she needed to give him something before we finished the trip to the doctor. We're walking through this huge parking lot, a lot of people looking like their having a great time just talking, cooking, and drinking refreshments and I still don't get it.

Get into this huge stadium and the man at the gate hands my mom a rolled up poster and I didn't understand what it was but I wanted to see it but my mom said its for the doctor. Ok, but I knew one thing, this place looked a lot more exciting to be at than the doctor's office.

We walk through narrow tunnel and all of a sudden I see this huge field and see people dressed in Mets uniforms practicing on the field. Then I realize it's Felix Millan, and my favorite player at the time Wayne Garret. The jig was up! Anyway the game turned out to be against the Braves and the Mets were honoring Hank Aaron. Before the game started Mrs Payson I remember presented Hank with this huge wooden rocking chair. Couldn't believe it! I got to see Hank Aaron play in a baseball game.

I think the Mets lost the game but it didn't matter, I was sitting in Shea stadium at a night game. It was magical! Oh, and that poster the gate guy handed to my mom.....was an awesome Hank Aaron poster that I had for years until it finally expired.
    Great story!!!! I remember seeing a Mets=Braves game around that time too, but i was in high school. Behind me was a kid who was probably your age who started booing Aaron, not for any other reason than he was a Brave and the kid didn't know any better.

So I turned around and scolded him, saying you don't boo Henry Aaron.

To this day I'm thankful that the kid's dad let me live.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    July 4th, 1988 - Mets vs. Reds.

David Cone was 6-0 coming into the game, and then he got lit up.

The fireworks were nice.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Honestly, no idea lol.

vCash
    Early season game in 1962. I can't remember who we played but I do recall a lot of runs and we still lost. What I remember most was the Polo Grounds. Place was huge, damp and cold. Very few fans and I spent a lot of the day just walking around the stadium. Awful place. No urinals. You would pee against the wall and it would run down into trench then out a hole into who knows where. Probably the nearby Harlem River. Absolute dump. Went to a few games that year and never liked the place. Probably why I never minded Shea.

vCash
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99606260.shtml

I remember because Armando Reynoso was on the mound for the Rockies and he would eventually become a Met that next season.

Good ole Dave Mlicki getting the win and Lance Johnson hitting a home run
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.

vCash
    Very sad and almost ashamed to say that my first ever baseball game was actually a Yankee game in 1967 at the old, old Yankee Stadium

Think it was Yankees Cleveland, not sure. But i remember getting all excited when the late, great Mickey Mantle came to the plate. I remember feeling somewhat bewildered moments later when someone explained to me what a foul out was.

To the catcher.

vCash
    My first actual BB game was at Ebbetts Field in the 50s. I remember thinking that when I was an adult I could do this all the time. Never quite worked out that way.

vCash
    I don't remember the exact date, but it was 1997 in April when the Mets used to give local public schools $1 tickets (upper deck).

Todd Hundley hit two home runs that day against the Reds, as the Mets beat the Reds.

1997 was a very underrated season. We were pretty close to beating out the Marlins for that Wildcard spot (mind you the Marlins won the title that year AND they had a loaded team while we didn't).

vCash
    Pirates 1971. No memories.

Saw a few games in 1972 I remember a little -- like Fan Appreciation Day, Seaver vs. Carlton. Mets 2, Sillies 1.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 06-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.

vCash
    I think the Mets Yankees WS was the 1st time I watched a Met game. But I didn't follow closely until like 2004.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I don't remember the exact date, but it was 1997 in April when the Mets used to give local public schools $1 tickets (upper deck).

Todd Hundley hit two home runs that day against the Reds, as the Mets beat the Reds.

1997 was a very underrated season. We were pretty close to beating out the Marlins for that Wildcard spot (mind you the Marlins won the title that year AND they had a loaded team while we didn't).
    April 23rd.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99704230.shtml

vCash
    April 20th 1986 - Mets vs Phils, Fernandez vs Kevin Gross.

I was 10 years old, had had a rough couple of years since coming to this country as kid leaving all my old friends behind, the Mets kind of became my outlet since 84 and I just could not get enough Mets. My moms who was a single mother taking care of 2 kids in a new country which she did not know the language and worked numerous jobs manged to get some tickets for the first time and they were on the last row in the red section by the flags, but I did not cared and the Mets put a whooping on the Phils and won 8-0. Fernandez became my favorite Mets pitcher as a kid after that. Oh and Danny Heep hit a homer as well. I think I have the ticket stub somewhere in a box of memories.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast