Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Could it get any stranger?

Speculation? Nonsense? Any truth? Seriously????

Glen Sather considers giving up NY Rangers general manager job: Report

Donít be surprised if Sather, 69, decides to step down from his GM post and places another in charge of running the player personnel decisions. An NHL source as well as a Rangers team source have told MurphysHockeyLaw.com that Sather is considering such a move as he prepares to meet with his hockey operations staff in La Quinta, California this week to discuss the coaching situation, the roster going forward and prepare for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in Newark on June 30.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...141303968.html
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    He was having health issues and he's 69, can't see why this might be a surprise really though I guess I thought he'd hang around until he got a cup. He's also probably not really fond of having to buyout Brad Richards after all the hooplah bringing him here.

vCash
    What's strange is Rick Nash saying he was good in the playoffs.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Not really news though.... Sather's said before that he planned on being the GM through the end of next season (age 70). Like BSI mentioned, his health isn't the greatest -- must be all of those cigars

Hopefully he'll pass the torch to Mess.... If Mess wants to be with the rangers organization, I'd much rather see him succeed as a GM then a coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL80 View Post
    Not really news though.... Sather's said before that he planned on being the GM through the end of next season (age 70). Like BSI mentioned, his health isn't the greatest -- must be all of those cigars

Hopefully he'll pass the torch to Mess.... If Mess wants to be with the rangers organization, I'd much rather see him succeed as a GM then a coach
    Would rather see him remove himself from office now, name another GM and have that GM bring in his coach.

As far as Mess, not sure why anybody would be hopeful he gets the reins with zero GM experience. IMO, naming Messier the GM is as ridiculous as naming a rookie the Captain of the team. You need experience.
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    You never know but 3 local beat writers said that was just a rumor and that there was no truth to it. In fact Slats just said he was staying on as GM and Pres for next season around a week ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Would rather see him remove himself from office now, name another GM and have that GM bring in his coach.

As far as Mess, not sure why anybody would be hopeful he gets the reins with zero GM experience. IMO, naming Messier the GM is as ridiculous as naming a rookie the Captain of the team. You need experience.
    I totally hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you. I just don't really believe in the whole "experience" factor when it comes to being a general manager in sports anymore.

Stan Bowman in Chicago is 39 years old... took over as GM of the hawks in 2008-2009 season and won the cup. Blackhawks lost a few key pieces from that team and he's still managed to get them to the cup finals again this year. Teams in sports these days are hiring GMs in their 30's.

I'm not saying that I want Messier as GM of the Rangers tomorrow. He's an assistant to sather (I too don't see sather stepping down just yet anyways) now for almost 4 years and I would prefer he'd stay the course, as I do believe he'd make a good GM in the future, no matter where it may be. I think his dreaming and recent desire of becoming the next HC of the NYR is a little crazy though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL80 View Post
    I totally hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you. I just don't really believe in the whole "experience" factor when it comes to being a general manager in sports anymore.

Stan Bowman in Chicago is 39 years old... took over as GM of the hawks in 2008-2009 season and won the cup. Blackhawks lost a few key pieces from that team and he's still managed to get them to the cup finals again this year. Teams in sports these days are hiring GMs in their 30's.

Let's keep these facts in mind though. This wasn't a hockey player who decided to become a GM. See below please.

Bowman graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1995 with degrees in finance and computer applications. When he arrived at the Blackhawks in 2000, Bowman worked extensively on financial budgets and developed programs to track player movement and evaluation. He was born in Montreal, where his father was coaching at the time.

Stan Bowman is currently in his 12th season with the Blackhawks and his third as Vice President/General Manager, having been named to the position on Sept. 7, 2010. Bowman was originally named the ninth General Manager in Blackhawks history on July 14, 2009, after serving for eight years in the Blackhawks Hockey Operations department.
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I agree....that.....was.....strange.

vCash
    very strange indeed.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vCash
    he wasn't