Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119

Thread: Salty Watch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,375
    vCash
    1500

    Salty Watch

    Salty is at: 268/.335/.484 after yesterdays game. The OBP is impressive, but Salty like a lot of starting catchers falls off in the 2nd half. For instance Salty last year:

    1st half: .239/.289/.517
    2nd half: .200/.286/.371

    Salty career:

    1st half: .251/.315/.435
    2nd half: 225/.289/.407

    Prepare for a weaker 2nd half. Maybe ~.225/.290/.410


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,246
    vCash
    1500
    Cafardo will have a heart attack but Salty is a piece that I'd consider dealing at the deadline if anyone is looking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,813
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Cafardo will have a heart attack but Salty is a piece that I'd consider dealing at the deadline if anyone is looking.
    Absolutely. We're acquiring Mauer anyways so he's not needed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,375
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Cafardo will have a heart attack but Salty is a piece that I'd consider dealing at the deadline if anyone is looking.
    Nah... we're in this thing until well after the deadline, so he stays.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,674
    vCash
    1500
    I have no doubt he will have a long stretch where he can't do anything except strikeout and roll grounders to 2b.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,546
    vCash
    1500
    He needs to go

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manchester, CT
    Posts
    2,348
    vCash
    1500
    Bad timing as salty hits two bombs today, but solid points with his historical second half production.

    Nothing would make me happier than to see someone else behind the plate. I've never really been a fan of his game.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,813
    vCash
    1500
    If we could manage to find a C who hits LHP then Salty would be pretty valuable in a platoon:

    13' vs RHP: .311/.368/.549, .394 wOBA, 146 wRC+
    Career vs RHP: .260/.325/.463, .342 wOBA, 107 wRC+

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,246
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Nah... we're in this thing until well after the deadline, so he stays.
    If he performs as he has in the past then his offensive performance is about to fall off a cliff as you've noted. When he isn't hitting bombs (roughly 2/3 of his HR are in the first half) then he's a net negative given his shoddy defense. (Oddly Lester is throwing better to Salty than Ross, Buchholz/Lackey are essentially even with the two, but Dempster/Doubront are MUCH better with Ross). The Sox could potentially be a net positive replacing him with Lavarnway given that the kid has improved his game behind the plate. In this scenario you've also got Lavarnway experiencing the crucible in a season in which the Sox were not honestly considered contenders; if it doesn't work out then he's still gained valuable experience and the fans aren't THAT disappointed considering the expectations.

    They get nothing for Salty at the end of the season. A deal with a contender that loses their top receiver sometime over the next five weeks could be lucrative from a personnel perspective.

    That's my rationale. You may be right, and the Sox may disagree with me, but that's why I'd be very open to moving him.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 06-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,375
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    If he performs as he has in the past then his offensive performance is about to fall off a cliff as you've noted. When he isn't hitting bombs (roughly 2/3 of his HR are in the first half) then he's a net negative given his shoddy defense. (Oddly Lester is throwing better to Salty than Ross, Buchholz/Lackey are essentially even with the two, but Dempster/Doubront are MUCH better with Ross). The Sox could potentially be a net positive replacing him with Lavarnway given that the kid has improved his game behind the plate. In this scenario you've also got Lavarnway experiencing the crucible in a season in which the Sox were not honestly considered contenders; if it doesn't work out then he's still gained valuable experience and the fans aren't THAT disappointed considering the expectations.

    They get nothing for Salty at the end of the season. A deal with a contender that loses their top receiver sometime over the next five weeks could be lucrative from a personnel perspective.

    That's my rationale. You may be right, and the Sox may disagree with me, but that's why I'd be very open to moving him.
    Don't get me wrong, I've had the knives out for Salty for a long time. But this is a pretty conservative Mgt and a core position starter. It just seems too risky for them. Maybe Bill James should earn his money and get Salty an extra day off out of 5 from mid June to late Aug to keep him fresh.

    I think Lavarnway can play the position as well or better than Salty. But if they had in their minds to trade Salty at the deadline why didn't Lavarnway get more time when he was last up?


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,105
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, I think if we could get rid of Salty it would make us a better ball team.
    Favourite Teams:

    Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,546
    vCash
    1500
    His babip is through the roof. It will come down and so will he. I don't want him even in a platoon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    393
    vCash
    1500
    I never understood why everyone hates salty. Catchers in general do not hit for high averages and catchers that can hit for 25 HRs don't grow on trees. He may not be a gold glover but behind the plate he's solid if unspectacular, and if he hits around .230-.240 you take that with his power. Everyone expects every catcher to be joe Mauer and its just not possible

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,546
    vCash
    1500
    If Salty could call a game I'd be fine with his offensive output for sure. I think with the numbers he's put up this year, he's definitely been above average thus far. But his offense will decline, and when it does he's not going to be worth the liability he is behind the plate. I really do think he was the among the worst game calling starting catchers last year. That's why people hate him.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,674
    vCash
    1500
    Salty is terrible behind the plate. He's also is horrific at throwing out runners, a lot of his throws end up in the OF, I don't know why other teams don't run on him more often. The tear he is on offensively has made him a good player so far this year. Hes a very streaky hitter though, and often has long horrible slumps. He has a .406 babip, this production won't continue. The last two years hes a ~.280 OBP/.450 SLG, which is not enough when you suck defensively. No ones expecting Joe Mauer, we want someone dependable behind the plate. We want a solid all around catcher.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •