Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: How would you grade this draft for the Chicago Cubs?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    27 40.30%
  • B

    38 56.72%
  • C

    1 1.49%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    1 1.49%
Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 924
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,418
    vCash
    1500
    Bryant has no leverage to ask for slot.. Offer 6 mill and let him decide. If he wants to risk going back to school to TRY to become the #1 pick, good luck..

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILarado View Post
    Bryant has no leverage to ask for slot.. Offer 6 mill and let him decide. If he wants to risk going back to school to TRY to become the #1 pick, good luck..
    As much as I have come around on Bryant since the draft I will admit I'd be strangely comfortable with him not signing. Having the #3 pick next year with another potential top 5 pick, in a draft with Bryant/Rodon/Beede/etc., is very enticing indeed....

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamus Cubs View Post
    As much as I have come around on Bryant since the draft I will admit I'd be strangely comfortable with him not signing. Having the #3 pick next year with another potential top 5 pick, in a draft with Bryant/Rodon/Beede/etc., is very enticing indeed....
    Listing a guy you are ok with passing over as one of the exciting guys next year makes absolute no sense. So your list of 3 now goes down to a list of 2, when you'll be picking at #3.


  4. #229
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16,282
    vCash
    1500
    He's long since been confirmed, but Trevor Graham is tweeting photos of his locker:

    I'm lovin the Cubs gear! #myteam #boysinblue

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16,282
    vCash
    1500

    Daniel Poncedeleon

    And update on Daniel Poncedeleon via Kendall Rogers:

    Here's an interesting development. After announcing he was signing with the @Cubs, @UHCougarBB RHP Daniel Poncedeleon now headed back to #UH
    Strange. There were photos of Poncedeleon having signed his contract.

    Poncedeleon has since deleted that original tweet.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 06-15-2013 at 05:29 PM.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Listing a guy you are ok with passing over as one of the exciting guys next year makes absolute no sense. So your list of 3 now goes down to a list of 2, when you'll be picking at #3.
    How does it not make sense? He will likely be the top draft pick next year which leaves us with one of the the two aforementioned arms, or we could take him again and he has a whole lot less negotiating leverage as a senior. So either way we COULD come away with one of the coveted arms plus another top 5 pick, or a much cheaper Bryant and another top 5 pick. Either way its win-win.

    Honestly after we sell off at the deadline I wouldn't be surprised if we have the 2nd pick in next years draft as well which would leave us, again potentially, with #2 & #3. In that scenario you end up with two of the three out of Bryant/Rodon/Beede.
    Last edited by Eamus Cubs; 06-15-2013 at 05:31 PM.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16,282
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamus Cubs View Post
    How does it not make sense?
    You don't pass on talent now so you can add the same talent later. The front office doesn't care about skimping on signing these picks. They've got the green light to spend the full budget. They won't have access to the total overage without Bryant's slot. Not signing Bryant ****s the draft. It's not okay to not sign your top pick, especially a number two pick. If Bryant signs for slot or slightly over, that's absolutely fine. There's no reason to delay adding a possible impact bat to the system, particularly one who wanted to be drafted by the Cubs.

    If you're looking for positives in not being able to get Bryant to sign, then, yes, the Cubs would have at least the third pick in 2014, but it's nothing to be happy about. Most/all overslot signing(s) outside of the top 10 selections this year quickly become unattainable. Losing both the talent and the bonus pool budget hurts.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 06-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    vCash
    1500
    that's not going to happen and shouldn't even be discussed.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    You don't pass on talent now so you can add the same talent later. The front office doesn't care about skimping on signing these picks. They've got the green light to spend the full budget. They won't have access to the total overage without Bryant's slot. Not signing Bryant ****s the draft. It's not okay to not sign your top pick, especially a number two pick. If Bryant signs for slot or slightly over, that's absolutely fine. There's no reason to delay adding a possible impact bat to the system, particularly one who wanted to be drafted by the Cubs.
    I am not advocating that they not sign Bryant. I WANT him in our system right now, because Bryant/Soler/Baez in the middle of our order could be a modern day murderers row. I salivate at the thought of that.

    I was merely stating that I'd be ok if we didn't sign him, and gave a reason/scenario (potential better class) why I'd be okay with it. I'm firmly with NEILarado on this one. Offer him what is fair and if he signs thats great, if not we likely get 2 of the top 5 picks in a better class next year.
    Last edited by Eamus Cubs; 06-15-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: evidently I cannot type....

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    that's not going to happen and shouldn't even be discussed.
    It could happen, and I was just voicing my opinion on why I'd be comfortable with it:

    As much as I have come around on Bryant since the draft I will admit I'd be strangely comfortable with him not signing.
    What in that makes you think I'm advocating not signing him?

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16,282
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamus Cubs View Post
    I was merely stating that I'd be ok if we didn't sign him, and gave a reason/scenario (potential better class) why I'd be okay with it.
    You shouldn't be. The bonus pool goes from $10,556,500 to $3,848,100 without a Bryant signing, which in turn means our allowed overage decreases from $527,825 to $192,405. That means there would be $335,420 less to spread around to sign everyone else outside of the first 10 rounds. And that's without accounting for the $21,100 over slot it took to sign Charcer Burks, so the Cubs would actually only have $171,305 to spend on over slot signings. It's nothing to be okay with.

    Bryant is going to sign. So it doesn't matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamus Cubs View Post
    What in that makes you think I'm advocating not signing him?
    No one thinks or said you are/did. Your silver lining scenario isn't as great as you think, however.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 06-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    39,785
    vCash
    1500
    You should never be okay with the Cubs not signing their top pick. No matter the draft, no matter the pick, no matter where the pick, your first pick is easily (and it's not close) your most likely to make the majors and be successful, not signing him is silly. The amount of money that we'd save does not really off-set the loss of developmental time of your best prospect on draft day, because it means that you must wait a full year to develop the next player you drafted.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    [QUOTE=Yagyu+;26444081]You shouldn't be. The bonus pool goes from $10,556,500 to $3,848,100 without a Bryant signing, which in turn means our allowed overage decreases from $527,825 to $192,405. That means there would be $335,420 less to spread around to sign everyone else outside of the first 10 rounds. And that's without accounting for the $21,100 over slot it took to sign Charcer Burks, so the Cubs would actually only have $171,305 to spend on over slot signings. It's nothing to be okay with.

    Its not as gloom and doom as you make it out to be either. The 2012 Cubs draft pool was
    $7,933,900.00 with another $396,695.00 to spend if you take into account the 5% overage allotment. Albert Almora signed for $3.9 million when his slot was only $3.25 million, for an over slot bonus of roughly $650.000.00. That means that he, by himself, got all of that 5% overage from the entire budget plus almost another 5%. Which means that all the following picks signed for, approximately, a combined $260,000.00 under slot.

    So while you are correct in that we would only have $171,305.00 to overslot the remaining 9 picks this year, you fail to take into account how many of them will get under slot bonus and that its unlikely we would even use up all of that $171K anyways. Again I'm not advocating this, just strangely comfortable with it. It wouldn't have screwed signing the rest of our draft last class year, and likely wouldn't this year.
    Last edited by Eamus Cubs; 06-15-2013 at 07:08 PM.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    975
    vCash
    1500
    The Cubs also took multiple senior signs, that they signed for $10,000. That saved them around $400,000+. They didn't do that this year.
    Last edited by CUBluejays; 06-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You should never be okay with the Cubs not signing their top pick. No matter the draft, no matter the pick, no matter where the pick, your first pick is easily (and it's not close) your most likely to make the majors and be successful, not signing him is silly. The amount of money that we'd save does not really off-set the loss of developmental time of your best prospect on draft day, because it means that you must wait a full year to develop the next player you drafted.
    One more time, I said I am strangely strangely STRANGELY, comfortable with it is all I am saying. I do NOT want them to punt this pick. I want Bryant signed and for a short time would be pissed if he didn't, but looking to the future there COULD be a benefit to it. I am simply pointing out the silver lining (multiple high picks in a better class) if he doesn't sign. AGAIN I am not advocating this as a strategy, as it could really bite us in the ***, but something tells me that after getting two picks in a better 2011 draft the fans in Arizona really don't mind losing out on their first pick in a much weaker 2010 draft. That is why I would be strangely comfortable with it.

    I do whole heartedly agree on the lost developement time though, I cannot argue with you there.

Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •