Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post Woelfel: Drew lobbying for 4 Hawks free agents?

In the world of professional sports, communicating and stroking egos is arguably the most important attribute of being a coach or manager.

Larry Drew knows that all too well. He’s been around pro basketball for nearly three decades as a player and coach and has mastered the art of building relationships.

Drew demonstrated that essential quality early and often during a press conference Monday morning at the BMO Bradley Center in downtown Milwaukee where he was formally introduced as the 13th head coach in Milwaukee Bucks history.

From the beginning until the end of his 41-minute press conference, Drew complimented virtually everyone under the sun, especially the man who made this all possible for him: Bucks owner Herb Kohl.

With Kohl sitting in the first row beside Drew’s wife, Sharon, and two of their sons, Landon and Lindsey, Drew gave Kohl one compliment after another. “I heard so many great things (about you),” Drew said to Kohl. “You’re a brilliant basketball mind. You know how this game is played and how it should be played.”

Drew also heaped generous helpings of praise on John Hammond, the Bucks general manager, who targeted Drew as a Bucks coaching candidate and pushed hard for him to get the job.

And Drew gushed about several Bucks players, most notably young center Larry Sanders and young power forward John Henson, who, after receiving a call from Hammond, cut away from his workout regimen in Florida to attend the press conference.

Henson has known Drew for about four years or since his freshman season at the University of North Carolina where he was a teammate of Drew’s son, Larry II.

“I want to acknowledge John Henson, who changed some plans to be here for my press conference,” said Drew, who then joked, “So you get on the coach’s good side right away.”

Drew prompted a few more chuckles just minutes later when Sharon’s cellphone went off. “That’s a fine,” Drew said to his wife, who was once a cheerleader at the University of Washington. “That will be a fine.”

Besides saying complimentary things about Henson, Sanders and another frontcourt player, Ersan Ilyasova, Drew even had nice things to say about the Bucks’ dysfunctional backcourt, which may be on the brink of being dismantled.

Starting shooting guard Monte Ellis has an opt-out clause in his contract and has told associates he’s bolting Milwaukee. Ellis’ backup, J.J. Redick, is an unrestricted free agent and appears destined for another city, also.

Brandon Jennings, the Bucks’ starting point guard, is a restricted free agent. And while the Bucks can match any offer by another team for Jennings, they may not want to retain him, especially after Jennings said he “wasn’t sure” he wanted to remain with the team after its last playoff game against Miami.

Drew is cognizant of the uncertainty surrounding the Bucks, who nevertheless are counting on him to perform the same magic act as he did in Atlanta, where the Hawks went to the playoffs three straight seasons with him at the reins.

But Drew may be asked to do more than coach the Bucks: He may be enlisted as their No. 1 sales person during free agency in July.

That’s because several of Drew’s former players with the Hawks would be welcome additions to the Bucks. Four Hawks — Josh Smith, Devin Harris, Kyle Korver and Zaza Pachulia — are all unrestricted free agents.

Smith, an exceptionally talented but inconsistent performer, is the gem of the group and will generate considerable interest once free agency begins July 1.

The other three Hawks are quality players and would, at the very least, fit into the Bucks’ rotation.

Drew, by all accounts, has a great rapport with each of them. When I spoke to Korver late in the regular season, he raved about playing for Drew. When I spoke to Harris over the telephone about a week ago, he did the same.

It was clear these guys enjoyed playing for the 55-year-old Drew, who is about as humble as any pro head coach you’ll come across.

When I asked Drew about the possibility of him “lobbying” for any of the Hawks, Drew said he, Hammond and Kohl will meet perhaps as soon as today and discuss player personnel matters in depth and in a “systematic” way. Drew said he won’t be bashful about attempting to transform some of those Hawks into Bucks.

“We’re going to sit down here as a staff and we’re going to talk about some of these players,” Drew said.

“We want to bring in people who can help us.

“I’m going to throw my two cents in about everybody. I had the opportunity to coach those guys. I know those guys and they know me. I thought they did a really nice job for me.

“If those names do come up, why not open it up for discussion?”

As Drew and I wrapped up our conversation, Kohl walked over and, for those within earshot, proclaimed Drew’s press conference a smashing success. Said Kohl: “Larry, you hit a home run.”

And, if he can shore up the Bucks’ roster with a couple of his talented former players, he’ll hit a grand slam.
    Josh Smith wouldn't be that good for us. I wouldn't mind Devin Harris though. We already had Pachulia but then let him walk then over paid Gadzurich. Korver could be a Dunleavy replacement if he bolted.

vCash
    Interesting. Josh Smith is a talent, but sometimes he is a bit of a chucker. Not sure if I like the thought of Henson being a backup for much longer either.

vCash
    Yeah kinda sucks we cant force Ersan to SF. Then we start Henson at PF.

vCash
    None of you think there's a chance we trade Ersan so Henson could start asap? At least we know Drew likes Henson and won't keep him on the bench all season

vCash
    God I hope we don't get josh smith. I've never liked him as a player and if we are trying to build ourselves the right way, he's not the answer. I wouldn't mind devin Harris as a backup guard on the cheap, but again he's obviously a stop gap. If we draft a young guard or two, then I would like Harris in almost a mentor backup type role.

If we trade ersan, the. Zara isn't a bad guy to have as a third big guy, but not a guy that I'd make priority either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofdaburbs19 View Post
    None of you think there's a chance we trade Ersan so Henson could start asap? At least we know Drew likes Henson and won't keep him on the bench all season
    To be fair, if you listen to the interview, part of the reason he mentioned Henson, Larry and ersan so much is because they are the only guys under contract really. I don't doubt he likes Henson somewhat, but the true test to how much he "likes" him once the playing time gets dispersed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    To be fair, if you listen to the interview, part of the reason he mentioned Henson, Larry and ersan so much is because they are the only guys under contract really. I don't doubt he likes Henson somewhat, but the true test to how much he "likes" him once the playing time gets dispersed.
    I'm hoping he was saying it because he genuinely wants to play our young talent. What you said makes sense though. I still feel we should trade Ersan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Yes, I get that. You can't deny though that Henson and Larry are both our 2 big young pieces moving forward though. Even if we had other guys under contract, those 2 are very important to our somewhat of a rebuild if Jennings and Monta are let go. Henson was our 1st rd pick last year and when given minutes was very impressive.

vCash
    Anybody read the article where it says we have guaranteed Shane Larkin we will be drafting him?

vCash
    I'm hoping he was saying it because he genuinely wants to play our young talent. What you said makes sense though. I still feel we should trade Ersan
    The thing I got out of his press conference is that he used the the word competitive or some form of putting a competitive team on the floor every night a lot. That almost scares me. I know competitive can be a somewhat ambiguous word, but to me that screams a kohl-esque buzz word. I'm worried that we are attempting to bring back Ellis in an effort to attract smith. That's a perfect way for us to stay in limbo for another 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KnokOut View Post
    Yes, I get that. You can't deny though that Henson and Larry are both our 2 big young pieces moving forward though. Even if we had other guys under contract, those 2 are very important to our somewhat of a rebuild if Jennings and Monta are let go. Henson was our 1st rd pick last year and when given minutes was very impressive.
    I won't deny that at all. Assuming no trades, it makes perfect sense to me to have Henson, ersan and Larry all play roily 30 minutes a night then have a 4 big who is ideally more of a center play the remaining 6 or so minutes.

Also, Henson was impressive at times, but he also showed that he's still raw. That's understandable for a rookie, but he's far from a finished product.

vCash
    Anybody read the article where it says we have guaranteed Shane Larkin we will be drafting him?
    The Woelfel article from Racine Journal Times? Doesn't mean we take him at 15. We could be moving way down and taking on a player as well in a trade. Seems like Hammond likes to move down and still get the player he wants in the draft as well as landing a veteran while moving down in a trade.

vCash
    I still have a really strange feeling that we are going to take Tony Snell in the first round...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    The Woelfel article from Racine Journal Times? Doesn't mean we take him at 15. We could be moving way down and taking on a player as well in a trade. Seems like Hammond likes to move down and still get the player he wants in the draft as well as landing a veteran while moving down in a trade.
    No not Woelfel's article. I was talking about this one. Obviously it could be nothing but thought it was intresting.

http://www.thefan1075.com/common/mor...49&post_id=243

vCash
    No not Woelfel's article. I was talking about this one. Obviously it could be nothing but thought it was intresting.

http://www.thefan1075.com/common/mor...49&post_id=243
    Not from that site. But similar articles though. Mentioning a possible promise.

vCash
    Not yet. In a year, maybe.

I would still like to see us trade Ersan if possible though.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast