Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Luongo to the Islanders? LUONGO OFFSEASON THREAD - Rumors/news/speculation

I'm sure most of us have seen the Bob McKenzie tweet suggesting a deal sending Lu to NYI makes sense. I'm surprised we don't have a thread rolling for this yet so here ya go. Discuss!

vCash
    Not expecting much of anything on the Luongo trade front. Though if the islanders are interested it gives Luongo a bigger market.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I've read about this too. Can someone explain to me how the DiPietro buyout would work for the Canucks?

i.e. the Canucks send Luongo to NYI and get DiPietro and some talent in return. That talent is what makes them want to do the deal. Then do they amnesty DiPietro??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I've read about this too. Can someone explain to me how the DiPietro buyout would work for the Canucks?

i.e. the Canucks send Luongo to NYI and get DiPietro and some talent in return. That talent is what makes them want to do the deal. Then do they amnesty DiPietro??
    The impoverished Islanders just happen to have one of the worst contracts in the league. That’s why two weeks ago, The Province posed the idea of trading Luongo to the Islanders for Rick DiPietro. The rich Canucks could buy out Dipietro’s contract, which has eight years left. The Islanders would send to Vancouver a package of prospects as a thank you. Maybe even 2010 fifth-overall pick Nino Niederreiter.

It would cost $24 million to buy out DiPietro, and it would paid $1.5 million a year for 16 years. On the surface, not bad. But it’s not our money.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Bo...#ixzz2V7uUkFuJ
    I'm not sure if that 1.5 mil would count against the cap for 16 years or not.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    From what I understand, DiPietro would be a compliance buyout, if the trade were to happen so no cap hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D1rty D4ve View Post
    From what I understand, DiPietro would be a compliance buyout, if the trade were to happen so no cap hit.
    That is my understanding as well. I think this is our best shot at actually getting something in return for Luongo. It may cost the ownership some money over many years but that is the price you pay when you're stupid enough to hand out that kind of contract to Lu.

vCash
    ^ Pisses me off that the guy who handed out that awful contract (Gillis) is the same guy we're entrusting with the *(%&%%*&^ reset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    ^ Pisses me off that the guy who handed out that awful contract (Gillis) is the same guy we're entrusting with the *(%&%%*&^ reset.
    Agreed. I don't think he has the balls to make a significant move. The Canucks will suck for a while. We have a bit of time to deal an asset like Edler and get something for Burrows and Higgins but that option ends in July when their no trade clauses kick in. Then we'll be stuck with something like NINE players who have no trade clauses.

vCash
    What are we expecting to get from the Islanders if they did include Dipietro in the deal? I'm hoping for Moulson or Okposo...

<3

vCash
    Instead of creating multiple Luongo thread, let's keep all news here.

<3

vCash
    Trade him to NYI for Nino Niederreiter and a 2nd. Done deal. - Not that NYI brass would do that.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.