Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Source: Carmelo wants Knicks to add another scorer

Carmelo Anthony agrees with the sentiment of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim regarding the state of the Knicks’ roster — he needs help.

According to a source, Anthony has told a confidant he is concerned management will stand pat this offseason and said he believes the team needs to add a bona fide secondary scorer for the Knicks to take the next step and win a championship.

The source said Anthony loves combo guard Iman Shumpert, 22, and projects him as a superstar, but not for two seasons. The source also said Anthony privately wishes the club will add a significant piece to the roster and not be status quo.

Boeheim’s remarks last week criticizing the roster’s strength hit home with Anthony, who values his former coach’s evaluations.

Anthony, rehabbing a small tear in his left shoulder that may have hampered him vs. Indiana, has an opt-out clause after next season, making the 2013-14 campaign pivotal regarding his future decisions. Under the rules of the collective bargaining agreement, the Knicks and Anthony can agree to an extension in mid-February — the third anniversary of his last extension.

Anthony originally lobbied to come to the Knicks in 2010-11 to play alongside All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire, but injuries have haunted Stoudemire’s New York stint. Knicks officials said they believe Stoudemire may be put on a minutes restriction next season, too, limiting his impact.

General manager Glen Grunwald said last week the team will try to be “creative’’ and “aggressive’’ with the roster but said the major core would return.

Boeheim, who coached Anthony at Syracuse, was critical of the Knicks’ roster in a Syracuse newspaper after they were eliminated in the second round by the Pacers in six games. Boeheim said it wasn’t Anthony’s fault and the Knicks don’t have second, third and fourth options on offense who are strong enough to support Anthony.

Asked if the Knicks could win a title with Anthony, Boeheim said, “Not with this team.’’

With Stoudemire injured most of the season, the Knicks’ second option was Sixth Man of the Year J.R. Smith, a free agent the Knicks intend to re-sign but who has not been a reliable playoff performer.

The third option was point guard Raymond Felton. Smith shot 33 percent in the playoffs and Felton scored just two points on 0-for-7 shooting in the series-ending Game 6 loss at Indiana. The Knicks shot just 41 percent in the playoffs, averaging a meager 88.6 points.

Grunwald brushed off Boeheim’s critique last week.

“He’s obviously very loyal to Melo,” Grunwald said. “So I understand where his comments came from.’’

“A lot of people think I said it because I’m a Melo fan,” Boeheim told The Post yesterday. “But I’m just being objective as a basketball head coach who watches 60 Knicks games a year. ’’

Boeheim said yesterday Anthony made Smith and Felton better than they are because of the attention he draws from the defense. But that wasn’t enough vs. Indiana.

The Pacers will get better next season with the return of Danny Granger, and the Bulls, who were 4-0 vs. the Knicks, will get back 2010-11 NBA MVP Derrick Rose. Boeheim said yesterday the Knicks are a solid 50-win team next season but not good enough to win the East.

Anthony was diplomatic and politically correct with the media nine days ago on Trash Bag Day. He stressed a need to get better but was typically vague and indicated he wouldn’t interfere unless summoned.

Asked what the roster needs, Anthony said, “It’s hard to say. I don’t want to jump the gun and say we need this or need that. Let the front office evaluate that. If they want my input, they know how to contact me.’’

The roadblock to the Knicks making a major move is they are not permitted to do a sign-and-trade for a free agent this season to go after point guard Chris Paul because they are over the luxury-tax threshold. Grunwald would need to make a move via a regular trade, with center Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Shumpert and Steve Novak as potential pawns if the GM is so inclined.

“It’s a team game, team sport,’’ Anthony said last week. “At the end of the day, as face of the team, it comes down to me. I accept that. We got to get better as a team and as a unit. We will. Look at this offseason and see what we got to do to make this team better. I wouldn’t put that pressure on myself to say I have to do it on my own. We as a team will get better and be better next year.’’
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...0fp4fM90J9oJI?

vCash
    I actually had a weird dream that STAT was playing and broke his knee and then his wrist, and still went in for a dunk... and then started crying, like he knew his career was over... and Melo hugged him on the court...

vCash
    The Hawks Have The Money To Get A Big Free Agent, Rose Is Back, Rondo Is back, Granger Is Back So We Need To Get Better Next Season, We Need To Take A Big Man In THe Draft! CP3 Not Win A Champs In LA And He Know That, We Need CP3 ANd Score Player
    ThE KnIcKs ArE ReAdY....!! "MeLo iN PuErToRRo"

vCash
    lol i just made this thread last week i dont need a source it common sense. Right now melo is a doctor with no nurses he has to do everything. I am suprised that knicks didnt have him guard hibbert they actually put him on marc gasol for long stretches before. Maybe our 15 mil center will work on hitting a open 15 footer and develop a jump hook rather then go to art shows and shop for custom kapri pants. I am hope thta my Melo saying this he knows CP3 wants out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    I actually had a weird dream that STAT was playing and broke his knee and then his wrist, and still went in for a dunk... and then started crying, like he knew his career was over... and Melo hugged him on the court...
    sounds like a premonition to me bro
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    Realistically, there is not much to be done unless Grunwald is really creative.

vCash
    I honestly don't see it happening. There is really nothing significant the Knicks can do. Gutting the team besides Melo will just set us back more bc there will be no chemistry . Add role players , DRAFT PROPERLY and develop chemistry. That's it .

vCash
    100% Agreed.

vCash
    Need a consistent scorer next to Melo. Amare is actually a good scorer wen he plays cuz of his jump shot and low post moves. J.R. could be the 3rd option.

vCash
    Hello grunwald go get lamarcus aldridge! !!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ny snoop123 View Post
    Next to impossible. Why would Portland ever do that? A package of Tyson, Iman and picks is the most enticing offer we can make, and even then I don't see them doing it
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    only hope is for stoudemire to continue to refine his low post game this offseason with the help of olajuwon and come back even better on the block. Stoudemire was pretty good last season from an offensive standpoint, its just that he cant stay healthy. We can't depend on him but we also can't trade him. If we're going to do anything newsworthy this summer, it'd be trading Tyson Chandler. We did play well without him the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season so i could see the FO having exploratory talks centered around Chandler. There is also the issue of his neck, so if we see that as something that is going to hinder his play as he ages, then now might be a good time to trade him.

I agree with keeping the core together and adding a couple pieces. But that doesn't mean that Grunny isn't going to explore other scenarios.

But im glad this came out. Im glad melo is voicing it because he does have an opt out clause after next season so the FO better do everything in their power to keep him happy so he stays.
    Last edited by KnickerBockerAL; 05-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ny snoop123 View Post
    I would love Aldridge here. Portland is my second fav team, so i watch them a lot. Unfortunately he's probably not available. He's also not the best defender either. He's a decent defender, and could be a very good defender if he put in the work. He's also a good passer as well. Heck he's improving as a rebounder. If a deal was to be made it would start with Shumpert. I like Shumpert's potential to much right now to do that trade.

I can't believe we need a second scorer... Amar'e should be that guy. Chandler needs to improve offensively too. If this team puts in the work this off season we might be alright.

vCash
    Jared Jack affordable and can score give felton a break and push the pace. If he doesn't resign with the warriors i can see us trying to visit this option.

vCash
    Hello CP3......What the star wants the star gets. Everyone says that players don't have any say in what gets done but that's ********. Dwight wanted to go to New Jersey but ended up in L.A, that was because New Jersey had nothing to offer Orlando. We have picks, a center and Iman, say what you want but that's a pretty nice package for someone who can just walk. The Clippers are not going to want to rebuild with Blake they will want proven guys back so they can still make a run. CP3 and Carmelo have as much power in where he lands than the Clippers GM.
    IT'S SHOWTIME!!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast