Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Hawks name Mike Budenholzer next head coach

The Hawks have hired Mike Budenholzer as head coach, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned.
    The Spurs assistant will replace Larry Drew, who is under contract until June 30, but will not have his contract renewed.
    The Spurs advanced to the NBA Finals Monday. They will face the winner of the Heat-Pacers series. The championship is scheduled to begin June 6.
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...ch-251619.html

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash

Hawks name Mike Budenholzer to be next coach

http://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/339477719484092416
    OFFICIAL: We have named Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer our next head coach.
    http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/hawks-...zer-head-coach
    ATLANTA --The Atlanta Hawks have named Mike Budenholzer (BEW-den-holzer) the team’s new head coach, President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Danny Ferry announced today. Budenholzer becomes the 12th full-time head coach in Hawks history. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

“We are thrilled to have Mike as the next coach of the Atlanta Hawks. He has an incredible basketball acumen and has a keen awareness of the league and what it takes to be successful," Ferry said. "His experience and four championships over the last 17 years provide a tremendous foundation for his leadership of our team.”
    Budenholzer, 43, spent the past 19 seasons with the San Antonio Spurs, including the final 17 seasons as an assistant coach. For the last six seasons, he has served as the team’s no. 1 assistant to current San Antonio Head Coach Gregg Popovich, the longest-tenured head coach in major professional sports and third-winningest coach (by percentage - .681) in NBA history behind only Phil Jackson and Billy Cunningham.

“I have been extremely fortunate to be a part of the San Antonio Spurs organization for the last 19 years. I knew it would have to be a tremendous situation for me to leave and clearly coming to Atlanta as the head coach of the Hawks is perfect for me,” said Budenholzer. “Ownership’s commitment to taking this organization to the next level and creating a unique and special culture, partnering with a general manager like Danny Ferry who I have great respect for, and building a roster that has terrific potential because of the existing core and the ensuing flexibility presents a rare and uniquely positive opportunity.”

During his time with the Spurs, he was a part of one of the most successful eras in NBA history. As an assistant coach since the 1996-97 season, he has helped lead San Antonio to a league-best 908-438 (.675) regular season record and four NBA Championships (1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007). Hired by Popovich prior to the 1994-95 season, Budenholzer spent his first two seasons as a video coordinator before being named an assistant coach. On numerous occasions, he served as the Spurs summer league head coach. He also served as an advance scout for Team USA for the 2004 Olympics.

"I couldn't be happier for Mike for many reasons. As anyone who's been part of this program knows, he has been more of a co-head coach than an assistant for a long time. His knowledge of the game as well as his ability to teach and develop relationships with players are all special,” said Popovich. “I will miss him a great deal both professionally and personally and am confident that he and Danny will make a great team as the future unfolds."

Budenholzer is a 1993 graduate of Pomona College where he received a bachelor’s degree in politics, philosophy and economics and was a four-year letterman in both basketball and golf. Following college, he played professionally in Denmark for the Vejle Basketball Klub, averaging a team-high 27.5 points per game during the 1993-94 season and getting his start in coaching, serving as the head coach for two different teams in the Vejle system.

A native of Holbrook, AZ, he and his wife Mary Bet have four children: Will, Libby, Hanna and John.

Budenholzer will continue serving as the Spurs top assistant until the conclusion of the 2013 NBA Finals.
    I'll have some thoughts on this in a while.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 05-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    homerun for the ATL organization. Congratulations Hawks fans, coach bud is going to fit it in just nice. He'll bring that SPURS basketball mentality, winning/discipline/defense.

Hate to see him go but still proud for him and his family.

Good luck guys.

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Hawks will introduce Budenholzer Wednesday. #ATLHawks
    Vivlamore / AJC

vCash
    Ferry got his man!

vCash
    ^^^^^

I will be watching the next few days for stars connected with Atl in FA reaction. DH12, CP3, J.Smoove, Teague, ect...

As well as reaction from Horford and Lou Williams.

vCash
    I'll post basically what I did in the other thread.

I definitely saw this hire coming with Danny being a Spurs guy. I like the hire, and anyone that has learned from Pop, who is arguably the top active coach in the NBA, is someone worth giving a shot to. This line from Pop...
    he has been more of a co-head coach than an assistant for a long time. His knowledge of the game as well as his ability to teach and develop relationships with players are all special
    gives me the alright, lets see what he can do approach. Looking forward to seeing what Ferry and Budenholzer can build.
    We sold our soul to the Devil for the '96 Olympics and now we're cursed

vCash
    Looking forward to him and Horford together (assuming he will finally be a PF for this team).

Oh, and I see a rebuild coming. Horford as the anchor until they get the team built.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 05-28-2013 at 08:00 PM.

McGOAT

vCash
    Well done!

vCash
    What's your guys's take on Larry Drew? What type of a coach is he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnokOut View Post
    Good on the X's and O's........... But much like Woodson in trying to make his Fav a star, rather than letting the players and what works determine the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Good on the X's and O's........... But much like Woodson in trying to make his Fav a star, rather than letting the players and what works determine the offense.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like he's a pretty serious candidate for the Bucks gig so I thought i'd ask.

Is he a guy who will get in the face of his players/not tolerate non-sense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnokOut
    1) Drew did not get his guys to play to their individual strengths for the most part. If you look up where the Hawks ranked in various team offense stats over the past 3 seasons (LINK | LINK | LINK), the only thing that stands out is 3-Pt shooting. But even non-Hawks fans can tell this team was not aesthetically pleasing and they were never more than a mediocre offensive team because roles weren't really defined and some of the key players did not stick to doing what they do best over the years.

2) He did not trust his young point guard. Jeff Teague (who was only in his 2nd full season of getting regular minutes) was routinely removed from games for questionable reasons or was taken off the ball for other guys who are not natural facilitators. Lou Williams, for example, is not a natural PG and will never be one. In my opinion, if you're going to build a good PG, no matter who it is, you have to trust that PG and let him learn how to handle adversity like a quarterback. Drew did not do that. He always had the inexperienced Teague on a short leash, the only Hawks player he did that with.

3) He struggles with rotations and minutes distribution. The Hawks had a number of players openly question or complain about their roles through the media over the past few seasons. Johan Petro (LINK) was the most recent case. Teams with clearly defined roles do not have that stuff happen as often as it did here. Drew buries guys on the bench and will rely on other guys who might actually hurt the team in more ways when they are in.

4) Will he get in guys faces? Not in my opinion. The same bad decisions we saw guys making from Day 1 after Woodson left were being made in Drew's last game. The only guy who seemingly ever got disciplined (benched) for bad decisions was Teague. A better coach with a stronger presence would have been tougher on all the players for laziness or poor play.

The best thing I can say about Drew is his lack of a strong abrasive personality likely helped when the team had to keep it moving once injuries started piling up. It might have worked here for him because most of the Hawks players were not mentally tough enough to handle hard coaching, so it was no surprise to some of us that they would always fall back into the same bad habits when adversity hit. But that laid back atmosphere also hurt this kind of roster because while other teams are able to find an extra gear (on effort plays) against good opponents in key stretches, the Hawks were not able. They would panic and self destruct.

Too often Drew's postgame comments after a loss would feature the same explanation theme: Hawks played with lack of effort. And he would act as if motivating players to play hard for an entire game was someone else's job (LINK). He is average at best with X's and Os and handled a tough situation here, but the best description came in another HawksHoops article (LINK): Drew was/is a stopgap coach.

Kyle Korver's midseason interview with ESPN (LINK) showed the difference between Drew and his former coach Tom Thibodeau. I seriously doubt you will find many former players talking this way about Drew.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 05-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.

vCash
    About Budenholzer: There is a lot to like. I've rarely seen an assistant get praised the way he has by former players, coaches, and media alike in reaction to this news. Strong background and it looks like he and his new boss will be on the same page since they come from the same culture.

A coach in any sport really only has to do two things: (1) Get respect from the locker room, meaning: the best players... and (2) establish an identity for the team. Seems easy but a lot of guys can't do it when they become head coaches.

Hopefully we get some insight into what kind of team he wants to build in his press conference. I preferred someone with head coaching experience -- not everyone is built to handle the big chair, so I'm taking sort of a wait-and-see approach there. But I have agreed with all of Ferry's other decisions thus far, he'll get the benefit of the doubt with this hire until we see his guy in action.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 05-29-2013 at 06:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnokOut View Post
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like he's a pretty serious candidate for the Bucks gig so I thought i'd ask.

No, He's not going to get in players faces. He's very laid back. Outside of a few slick comments to the media, he's not going to have many confrontaions with anybody. Players, Management, Refs, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast